Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I really want to swamp my frame! But... for which one?!?

My current ride:

Frame: Taiwan (Spannch re-brand: Mondraker). Macpherson style frame and I`ll switch almost everycomponent to the new frame (at least those I can!) which are:
Fork: Marzocchi Z1 FR ETA 10th anniversary (may switch for other fork when Marzocchi makes one 55 reliable! I think 2009 they`ll have the 55 ETA RC3... we`ll see!)
Drivetrain: All XT
Brakes: Formula Oros (180/160)
Wheels: Hope Hoops (Hope Pro2+DT 5.1)
Tires: Maxxis Highrollers 2.35 (ST/60a) or IRC Trailbear or Fat Albert 2.35
Others: Time atack-Z; Flite SLR; ODI; Raceface; GD

Please see photo.

Riding & terrain style:

Like to downhill and climb to the top. although I`m not a XC racer, I really like to take some crazy and difficult climbs (roots, steep, loose stuff...)
I love DH! Single tracks, fire roads, jumps (not more than 5 ft... sometimes higher... but it`s very rare). Our weekend playground doesn`t have to many lose rocks, it`s more a mix of zones.
There are zones with soft soil with roots - fast single tracks, some bumps in most corner entrance
There are zones with hard pack and loose stuf over, and this is full of holes and "natural water passages" (Sorry don`t know the name!).

My friends rides are Prophet, Nomad, Equal to mine, and K2 (5 inch rear travel) - may also change frame.

Although I would like some lighter frame (mine is +/- 4.1 kg with a Swinger 4 way), it feels mushy when you start to pedal hard.
Being adjusting the rear shock but when I have that good platform I will lose small bump absorption. Even with rebound adjustment I really can`t find that sweet spot!
Also, I would like to have a more relax head angle (67/66) and a lower BB (present almost 370mm!!!).
Rear end is a little soft (flexible) but that doesn`t bother to much since it`s easy to predict rear slide.

After ridding for a while a prophet I could feel the live that the frame has when hammering on the pedals! It goes foward, not... mushy!!!
Unfortunately didn`t like the way suspension absorbs the bumps, even after messing with the rear shock (ohhh... hated the front susp: Lefty)

What I want:

Great pedal efficiency & Great bump absorption
Low weight (less than my almost 16 kg!) & 68/67º Head angle & Low BB height & at least 6 inchs
Reliability
Good value
New design / newer frame
(if possible go re-sell value after 3/4 years although not necessarily)

Now... my current choices:

The One : +/- 1900€ (Frame with one year old / 7 inch / 3,2kg with air spring?) - will it work best with a Air shock?
Delerium T: +/- 2100€ (Frame with what? 3 years / 6 inch / 4.3 kg with air spring?) - Will it work best with a Air Shock
Nomad: +/- 2100€ (Frame with 3 years / 6,5 inch / 4,1 kg with coil spring?) - For what I´ve read it works better with a Coil

Would appreciate your comments and other frame options.:thumbsup:

Sorry for this so long post!!! but have been reading a lot of stuff... but haven`t made my mind.:madman:

Attachments

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
I ride a Titus El-Guapo. It's got 6' travel with a low bottom BB that makes it handle fantastic. It also handles so well in the air it'll have you going more than 5' very quikly. Alson it's got one of the stiffest rear ends in the buisness, which you'll come to find is very important IMO.

Of your list I'd go Delrium though it's entirly too heavy... it would most likly have terrific resale value though.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does the Titus accept a coil shock?
Is that it uses a RP23...a bit XC orientated no?

It was on my list... but took it out don`t no why, I think it was the shock and having only 68º close to my 69º of my actual frame... and it`s also a Macpherson...
Like the absortion... but has some mushy feeling when pedaling to accelerate!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I would recommend the GT Sanction 1.0 Frameset, relatively cheap, super efficient system. Also look at the Iron Horse 6point or the Giant Reign...nice craftsmanship and very efficient systems. The IH takes a 150mm rear hub though. Given your other choices though, I'd definitely look into the Chumba Evo and Ventana Terremoto.

Evo reviews: https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=3684024#post3684024

Probably my pick of the bunch.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I`ve looked at the IH... but it has the 150 mm hub, and I don`t want to change rear hub.
Giant was discard since it is my expectation that Reing-X frame will change for 2009, making them lighter. But yes... I thought and still think a lot about this bike!

In Portugal I can`t find any GT Saction Frame or the Chumba.

Ventana is a "single pivot with linkages" and not really interested, although they look very NICE! Don`t let my point of view seem like a negative one!

·
Ride the dream
1,381 Posts
Wow... if im not greatly mistaken, thats the THIRD different name i've seen on that frameset :O

Cadillac = khs... = mondraker??

See if you can get yourself a Banshee rune - sounds like that would fit what you are asking for.
If you cant get them in mainland europe, they can be gotten in england (from freeborn) under the name "mythic" - though the frames are exactly the same, as are the model names.

·
Still a child inside...
844 Posts
Now... my current choices:

The One : +/- 1900€ (Frame with one year old / 7 inch / 3,2kg with air spring?) - will it work best with a Air shock?
Delerium T: +/- 2100€ (Frame with what? 3 years / 6 inch / 4.3 kg with air spring?) - Will it work best with a Air Shock
Nomad: +/- 2100€ (Frame with 3 years / 6,5 inch / 4,1 kg with coil spring?) - For what I´ve read it works better with a Coil
3 high class choices...i don't think you can go wrong with any of those...

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
the one is the most active of these under pedaling. The nomad is the least (think hardtail under pedaling for the nomad, and kind of a floating non-moving but still able to move feeling for the one). The DT, using FSR I assume feels like a normal FSR bike does.

You can't really go wrong with any of these - you've got your bases pretty well covered here, but you might consider the intense 6.6 slopestyle in favor of the nomad if your looking for something a little slacker

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
If you want low weight you probably need to go air and not coil on the rear.

I'd prob go with the Knolly Endorphin over the DT, as it will be a better pedaler (DT is a great bike tho). Nomad is another great choice, as would be a Terrremoto or an RFX. The Rune and the Evo are worth a look as well.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well nothing better then some pics to show some of my local trails.
I would like to excuse anyone that feels offensive about using their Pink Bike photos, but I really don`t take to much... I really enjoy ridding

Attachments

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And this is the part that I take the easy route, have a child to raise :thumbsup:

Completely rad!

Although all those guys are with DH/FR bikes, we do the same... and most of the way in the same speed as they do.
The only problem is that I really want to cycle... not get shuttle all the eway up!

There also some rad up-hills where only some bikes can go! XC bikes don`t soak or have traction!:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Knolly Endorphin Frame has 69º head angle... :(
If it only had 67º...

I know I putted weight on my wishing list... but wouldn`t mind carry an extra weight if the frame could be for more aggressive ridding and excellent suspension (that`s why I would like to have the coil...)

About the 6.6 SS, doesn`t it has a very short seat tube?
Because I would like to transfer my GD and it only has 350 mm height (I think...).
This frame works better with coil... or air is a good replacement!?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.