Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been researching for some days now and I am confused as ever. After reading many many posts and reviews I have narrowed it down to the Intense 5.5, X5, blur, or the 5-spot. I have been saving for a bit so cash is not a problem. I am looking for a great climber that can handle agressive XC which includes 2-3foot drops.
Which would you choose and why??

Any input would be helpfull

·
Homer's problem child
1,320 Posts
I was in the same delima......

about 4 months ago. I was lookng at the exact same list of bikes. I chose the Intense 5.5 mainly because on long climbs I like to stand from time to time and the 5.5 pedals better standing than all the other bikes, it also pedals better sitting. It loses in plushness while climbing rough stuff to the 5-spot and Titus Switchblade, but not very much. Going down it kills it, it rides down like it knows the fastest way. It handles hits as well if not better than anything else you are looking at, and big props go to the Swinger 4-way IMHO.

I rode all the bikes you mentioned before I bought the 5.5. I did not like the Blur, and really liked the 5-spot and Switchblade, so I was reluctant to try the 5.5, but once I did I was sold on it. Until I got the suspension dialed I had some pedal feedback and brake jack, but now I never notice it, if it is there it is really light and don't notice it.

You can't go wrong with this list of bikes (except the blur). I rode them all so I don't feel like I made a bad decision when I see one of the other bikes on the trail, I picked the one I liked based on seat of the pants on dirt feel. To each his own, try before you buy.

Good luck, it took me weeks to make my decision. But I am happy.

B

·
it's just baby phat..
865 Posts
dirt demo on 7/24 at Mahlon

cocoloco said:
I have been researching for some days now and I am confused as ever. After reading many many posts and reviews I have narrowed it down to the Intense 5.5, X5, blur, or the 5-spot. I have been saving for a bit so cash is not a problem. I am looking for a great climber that can handle agressive XC which includes 2-3foot drops.

cycle craft will be hosting dirt demo on saturday, july 24th. (check out the new jersey forum for more info) and will have most of the bikes you mentioned with the exception of the 5 spot. they will have ellsworth though which is also a four bar. i have been on my 5.5 since april and i love it. i didn't like the blur. i had an ellsworth before i bought my 5.5 and i liked it alot but the 5.5 is pretty much nirvana. mine is dialed to be very plush over everthing even when climbing although pedal induced bobbing is completely eliminated. that being said, try them all out and decide for yourself. good luck.

phat

·
Registered
11,716 Posts
X5 or 5 spot

cocoloco said:

theyre allways active under power and braking unlike the VPP. Also consider the titus SB.

·
it's just baby phat..
865 Posts
just to clarify

jrm said:
theyre allways active under power and braking unlike the VPP. Also consider the titus SB.
i have ridden four bar bikes for years. i have had a vpp (5.5) since april. the vpp is active under power is just doesn't react to pedal induced bobbing but it does react to bumps biga and small. big difference. brake jack is minimal in fact it's actually less than on some four bar linkage bikes that i have ridden (giant nrs)

i should also mention that i did ride a blur before i bought my 5.5 and it did feel a bit harsh going up hill and down hill. i would look down and see the thing working but it just didn't feel very active. the 5.5 is a different story all together.

phat

·
Registered
11,716 Posts
A

phatbiker said:
i have ridden four bar bikes for years. i have had a vpp (5.5) since april. the vpp is active under power is just doesn't react to pedal induced bobbing but it does react to bumps biga and small. big difference. brake jack is minimal in fact it's actually less than on some four bar linkage bikes that i have ridden (giant nrs)

i should also mention that i did ride a blur before i bought my 5.5 and it did feel a bit harsh going up hill and down hill. i would look down and see the thing working but it just didn't feel very active. the 5.5 is a different story all together.

phat
VPP isnt fully active under braking or power the way a four bar/horst link (tracer) frame is. I dont see how a 5.5 can be different then a Blur when the designs are exactly the same. UNless the harshness was based on set-up.

·
it's just baby phat..
865 Posts
fair enough, i'll explain

jrm said:
VPP isnt fully active under braking or power the way a four bar/horst link (tracer) frame is. I dont see how a 5.5 can be different then a Blur when the designs are exactly the same. UNless the harshness was based on set-up.
just because two frames are built around the same design princple doesn't mean that they are going to behave exactly the same when ridden as complete bikes. there are way to many variables (i'm only referring to the frame) that can make two are more bikes with the same inherent design behave completely different. for arguments sake let's say that all four bar/horst linkage bikes behave the same based on the fact that they have the same design principle. i assure you that turner, ellsworth and ventana owners would bombard this thread saying that their bike's suspension reacts differently than others mentioned. see what i mean? all i am saying is that don't just knock vpp just because you rode one that didn't meet your expectations. hey, i love 4 bar as my most recent bike was an ellsworth truth that i had for almost 4 years. additionally, i had one the first turner burners available in 1996! back then that was considered almost a downhill bike and it had only about 3 inches of travel! the burner and truth i had rode completely different from each other yet they are based on the same design. i have also ridden 4 bar bikes that i didn't like. so that's it. i hope this helps shed some light on this 4 bar vs. vpp nonsense. what one person sees as a negative another may find attractive. i'm only trying to be objective here.

phat

·
Registered
11,716 Posts
i failed to mention

phatbiker said:
just because two frames are built around the same design princple doesn't mean that they are going to behave exactly the same when ridden as complete bikes. there are way to many variables (i'm only referring to the frame) that can make two are more bikes with the same inherent design behave completely different. for arguments sake let's say that all four bar/horst linkage bikes behave the same based on the fact that they have the same design principle. i assure you that turner, ellsworth and ventana owners would bombard this thread saying that their bike's suspension reacts differently than others mentioned. see what i mean? all i am saying is that don't just knock vpp just because you rode one that didn't meet your expectations. hey, i love 4 bar as my most recent bike was an ellsworth truth that i had for almost 4 years. additionally, i had one the first turner burners available in 1996! back then that was considered almost a downhill bike and it had only about 3 inches of travel! the burner and truth i had rode completely different from each other yet they are based on the same design. i have also ridden 4 bar bikes that i didn't like. so that's it. i hope this helps shed some light on this 4 bar vs. vpp nonsense. what one person sees as a negative another may find attractive. i'm only trying to be objective here.

phat
that i rode a blur for some 7 months before selling it and reverting back to the trusty tracer. So im not completely talking out my BUTT.

·
it's just baby phat..
865 Posts
no worries here man

jrm said:
that i rode a blur for some 7 months before selling it and reverting back to the trusty tracer. So im not completely talking out my BUTT.
hey jrm. listen, i completely respect your opinion. in fact, i also rode a blur before i bought my 5.5 and i didn't care for the blur at all but i did see the potential in a longer travel version of the vpp design. as for 4 bar bikes, i also really enjoy riding them as well. in a perfect world i would probably have a vpp 5 inch travel bike AND a 4 bar 5 inch travel bike each bike set up slightly different. so unless i win the lottery or get a big raise i will have to limit the amount of bikes i have in the garage to one mountain and one road bike. happy trails man.

phat

·
Registered
11,716 Posts
Yeah..

phatbiker said:
hey jrm. listen, i completely respect your opinion. in fact, i also rode a blur before i bought my 5.5 and i didn't care for the blur at all but i did see the potential in a longer travel version of the vpp design. as for 4 bar bikes, i also really enjoy riding them as well. in a perfect world i would probably have a vpp 5 inch travel bike AND a 4 bar 5 inch travel bike each bike set up slightly different. so unless i win the lottery or get a big raise i will have to limit the amount of bikes i have in the garage to one mountain and one road bike. happy trails man.

phat
Not to many people agree with me when i share my opinion on the VPP design. It just goes to prove that opinions are like....and everyone has one.huh?

·
Registered
32 Posts
phatbiker said:

phat
I also test rode a blur before I decided on a 5.5 . I think it's a completely differant bike.
I didn't favour the blur's geometry . Very short TT but a long WB.
The bike didn't handle too well, and didn't inspire confidence.
I guess a great bike's secret still hides in the frame geometry, and this is what Intense bikes have. Some of my friends have swiched from a blur to a 5.5, and they say not only the 5.5 handles better in the rough stuff, but it is also a faster and better climber, also in XC conditions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts