Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Rocky Mountain Instinct 2019 with stock fork, which is a Fox 34 Float Performance 140mm. I want to upgrade the rotor size to 203mm, so I looked into the page:
https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=689

That page states that step-cast can only accept 180mm rotor, while all others can accept 203mm.

Then looking into the page of the fork, I could configure the fork to match my configuration, but the PN didn't match what I have, so I don't have a positive confirmation that my fork is non step-cast.

Would it be correct assuming the fork I have (29/27.5+, 140mm, 110/15 TA) is standard (non-SC) so would be fine to upgrade the rotor? Is there anything in the stickers or other distinctive features that would say that a fork is step cast or not?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Step cast 34s have a flat on the outside of the bottom of the lowers. Non step cast 34 lowers are cylindrical to the bottom. I wonder if that limitation only applies to the 32 step cast forks which have a flat on the inside and closer spaced legs which might interfere with larger rotors.

You can plug the 4 digit code on the back of the left lower into the Fox tech website to get the specification of your fork.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, you are correct. I never noticed the discreet grey lettering that does not take me anywhere, but is the description of the fork. All good, thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.