Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know its silly to be asking this already but come summer i know how i am and i will want to put better forks on my 2012 4300. i dont plan on any big hits just XC and i want to smooth out the bumps with a little rebound adjustment, i dont wanna break the bank otherwise i would of bought better to start with. would like to stay in the 5 to 6 hundred dollar range. is this possiable
Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
151 Posts
Sure it's possible. You have lots of options in the $500-$600 range. The Shocks and Suspension forum is a good place to look and learn.

I got to ask why you want to spend $500-$600 on a replacement fork for a brand new bike that only cost $500-$600 itself?

That said, I replaced the RST Gila that came on my 4300 with a Rock Shox Recon Solo Air for around $300. I did this after a year riding the RST which felt like a pogo stick and was very flexy under braking.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah i know its silly to go the route im going but its easier for me to do five or six hundred at a time then the cost of a 11 or 12 hundred dollar bike, plus i like to tinker what can i say.
i gave 699 for the bike hope i didnt get taken to the cleaners... it is a 2012 though
thanks for advice, keep it coming!!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
To be honest I'd go for a 140 Float. It's adjustable down to 80mm I believe so you can use it for strict XC, and then if you ever decide to get into a little harder "All Mountain" riding, you'll still be all set. Sure it may be at a little higher price-point than some other forks, but you can usually find a used one in great condition. I believe theres a new 2012 in the classifieds' right now for 500 or so.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
Sure it's possible. You have lots of options in the $500-$600 range. The Shocks and Suspension forum is a good place to look and learn.

I got to ask why you want to spend $500-$600 on a replacement fork for a brand new bike that only cost $500-$600 itself?That said, I replaced the RST Gila that came on my 4300 with a Rock Shox Recon Solo Air for around $300. I did this after a year riding the RST which felt like a pogo stick and was very flexy under braking.
I have to agree with this.......

Save your money and buy a newer bike, with better components.....will be a better use of your money in the long run.

That being said.....look for a used Tora, they can be had for about $100, with lockout and rebound. Will still be years ahead of the crappy Suntour forks that the bike came with.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got to ask why you want to spend $500-$600 on a replacement fork for a brand new bike that only cost $500-$600 itself?.
I find myself in a similar position. I started with a basic GF Trek 29er. I can get by on it as is but I can't resist modifying. By my next bike I'll be much smarter and do it right the first time. If I do up the fork, I'm looking at the Reba RLT G2. Insane but spending a large pile of money early before I knew anything wasn't the way to go.

·
Registered
151 Posts
yeah i know its silly to go the route im going but its easier for me to do five or six hundred at a time then the cost of a 11 or 12 hundred dollar bike, plus i like to tinker what can i say.
Roger that.

I think this is true of a lot of people who spend on upgrades for "entry level" bikes. One just has to be carefull as it's easy to spend $2000 only to wind up with a $1000 bike.

I know the upgrades I've made to my 4300 passed the spousal approval factor where spending the same total amount at once on a new MTB might not have. However she didn't mind when I went $400 over budget on my new road bike. In fact, she kind of encouraged it.

And I like to tinker too! :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.