Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Haro Shift R5 with a Manitou Splice Comp fork with 130mm of travel. I am thinking about upgrading the fork, but i don't know which one yet. I was wondering about the difference between a fork with adjustable travel and a fork with a lockout. How often does a fork with the adjustable travel need adjusting, and is one type better then the other. I know i want to stay close in travel range to the original fork. any suggestions and/or comments would be greatly appreceiated.:idea:

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
You will need to tell us what type of riding that you do, if you want a quick release or 20mm, and how much you would like to spend. Right now you can find several manitou forks on sell for really cheap (~200), but we really need to know the type of riding that you are doing and the amount you would like to spend. Then it will be easier to make recommendations.

·
Registered
141 Posts
FWIW I just upgraded to a FOX talus RLC32 I use the lock out fairly often I have yet to up the travel from 100mm I just trail ride XC I guess... I just figured for $100 more and a very small weight penalty on a aready heavy bike I could move that along to another fram in future and have plenty of options over a FLOAT

·
Banned
462 Posts
jaynes72 said:
I have a Haro Shift R5 with a Manitou Splice Comp fork with 130mm of travel. I am thinking about upgrading the fork, but i don't know which one yet. I was wondering about the difference between a fork with adjustable travel and a fork with a lockout. How often does a fork with the adjustable travel need adjusting, and is one type better then the other. I know i want to stay close in travel range to the original fork. any suggestions and/or comments would be greatly appreceiated.:idea:
Sorry if I had a hard time understanding your question but let me see if I can help. First, adjustable travel and lock out are two separate features. Adjustable travel lets you set the travel on your fork anywhere from say: 90-130mm (different forks differ on the amount of travel)
Lock out locks your fork so you don't bob up and down when you pedal hard. Most forks with adjustable travel have lock out as well. With adjustable travel you set it once and forget it unless you want to change the amount of travel longer or shorter. If you're planning on aggressive jumping DH or FR then more travel is better. Be aware your frame may only accommodate up to 100mm of travel. Check the specs on your bike to make sure you can use a fork with more travel.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
jaynes72 said:
It depends on where/how you ride and personal preference, some riders never use travel-adjust, some (like me) use it almost every ride.

When the fork is dropped to minimum travel, it stiffens up anyway (some more than others) so lockout is kind of redundant then IMO.

As to how often, that's a good question:
- if most of your rides involve a long climb, then a long descent, you only drop it once then pop it to max for the descent.
- if most of your rides are rolling hills, most riders prefer to set the fork and leave it, it's not practical to change it every few minutes. Remote travel helps for this, IT comes in handy here.

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
I think the RockShox PIKE would be a perfect fork for you. Adjustable travel, lockout versions, air or coil, it's a really great fork. And one that you will be happy to put on your next frame, too.

Only drawback is the 20mm thru-axle. Well, it's not a drawback, it's a huge improvement, but it means you need a new front wheel.

JMH

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
let me clarify a little

the current fork has 130mm of travel, and i would like to stay in that range of travel . I don't want any more travel then 130 mm. also is the fork with a lockout and a set amount of travel better than a fork with adjustable travel. also is either really needed and if so which one? I ride mostly cross country trails with a little of all mountain riding(rarely) but i mostly ride for the fun factor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.