Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
I am looking to buy a new fork as i have finally saved the cash but i would like some advice, my budget is £270 roughly. I am currently riding a giant yukon (06?) with suntour xcr 100mm forks. I have been looking in the direction of rockshox revelation 426 air u turn/coil (130mm adjustable) or magura menja's (130mm) travel or fox 32 vanilla R (140mm). Any suggestions would be extremely helpful :thumbsup: or comments. thanks i really need help iv'e been looking for months :madman: Thanks
Jake

·
ride like you stole it
680 Posts
I would suggest a rockshox pike 426, pretty much the same as the revelation but has a 20mm axle to stiffen up the front end a bit. Also be careful on how much travel you put on your bike, I wouldn't go over 130mm. Putting a longer fork on the bike will slacken the geometry, as well as create a larger moment arm on the head tube that could cause failure (I wouldn't be worried as long as you don't go crazy on the travel like 160mm) but if you have a burly bike it shouldn't be to big of a deal.

Also if your confused check out your local bike shop, they'll be able to point you in the direction for a fork that will work well in your areas terrain.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Rookiebiker11 said:
I am currently riding a giant yukon (06?) with suntour xcr 100mm forks. I have been looking in the direction of rockshox revelation 426 air u turn/coil (130mm adjustable) or magura menja's (130mm) travel or fox 32 vanilla R (140mm).
I used to be a fan of the Fox Vanilla; I'm still running an '05 Vanilla on one of my bikes. However, according to a number of posts in the shocks forum, recent model years have been oversprung making it difficult for light riders to use them. The older Vanillas could have their travel adjusted by moving some spacers inside the bike. It's my understanding that the newer ones are fixed at 140mm of travel.

I know nothing about the Magura fork that you mention.

I'd go for the Rock Shox Revelation. This is a well regarded fork and the fact that the travel may be adjusted is perfect for your bike. The 130mm maximum travel may be a bit too much to keep the bike's geometry comfortable. If so, you can easily adjust it to be more to your liking.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THANKS SO MUCH the responses from you 2 are so much more helpfull than others ive had on other forums, i figured my bike geometry would just about work with 130 but i just wanted to check. It looks to me like the revelation is my best choice as my wheels are qr and i dont want to spend much on a new wheel. Whats a safe limit for the revelations drop to flat height so i dont kill it? will i be ok jumping abit on it? thanks
Jake

·
Ride the dream
1,381 Posts
Im not sure the geometry would cope with much more than 120... And even if the geometry is acceptable at 130, the headtube might not be strong enough to take it... Better safe than sorry.

As for new forks, dont touch marz.

I wouldnt go with pikes, because then you need a new front wheel, which is a pain.
The revelation would be travel adjustable which would allow you to experiment between 100-130 and see where you like the geometry.

But I'd be very careful.

Also, if you really NEED 130 travel, then it might be too much for the frame, if its extra travel for travels sake, then 120 should be plenty.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you want to save a few bones you could look at the Rockshox Tora, and save up for some other upgrades. I don't think it's made to do a lot of jumping, but I had one on my Rockhopper and I really liked it. It does have a bit of a weight penalty though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again Is there any chance i could break the revelation down to the geometry? eg. snap steerer or stanchions? Are there any 120mm travel forks of similar quality to the revelations?
thanks Jake

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
My friend ride 426 revelations set around 120 and he has hammered them to death for the last two years no problems at all and he is a 90kg+ rider on an XL Chameleon, he is super fast and jumps clears any thing in his path, a nutter :D just gets them serviced each winter :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
The Dual Air rather than U-Turn Revelations are cheaper and have a bigger air chamber. Less to go wrong too. You can add a spacer to drop them from 130mm to 115mm. You can add two spacers to drop them to 100mm. Having a knob for travel adjust is a "must have" for some people and a "must not have" for others. I'm in the "keep it simple" camp.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
EnglishT said:
Im not sure the geometry would cope with much more than 120... And even if the geometry is acceptable at 130, the headtube might not be strong enough to take it... Better safe than sorry.

As for new forks, dont touch marz.

I wouldnt go with pikes, because then you need a new front wheel, which is a pain.
The revelation would be travel adjustable which would allow you to experiment between 100-130 and see where you like the geometry.

But I'd be very careful.

Also, if you really NEED 130 travel, then it might be too much for the frame, if its extra travel for travels sake, then 120 should be plenty.
Agree with English, specially on the geometry issue. Revelation and Pike are very nice forks, but too long for your bike. Even if you went with the Rev, you would only use 100-115 or so. Better go with a Reba U-Turn, the travel ranges go with your bike and it should be a sweet fork.

·
screamer
1,385 Posts
Having to add spacers (which involves completely disassembling the fork, not a trivial task) to try to find the right fork length doesn't sound like "keeping it simple" to me. I have two seasons of hard riding on the UTurn Air revelation, and it's still running great without the slightest complaint. The UTurn is great for adjusting the bike's geometry on the fly to suit different riding conditions, but I imagine for you it'd be even more useful for tuning the fork to find the sweet spot for your current frame. Then you can "set and forget" as they say.

Also, when you get sick of your current frame, you can transfer the fork to your new one! Invest in the revelation, skip the tora.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
revelation sounds like the right fork. No mention of Manitou forks, no good?

As much as i love coil suspension, Soft supple coil forks somehow dont feel right on hardtails, in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
rzozaya1969 said:
Agree with English, specially on the geometry issue. Revelation and Pike are very nice forks, but too long for your bike. Even if you went with the Rev, you would only use 100-115 or so. Better go with a Reba U-Turn, the travel ranges go with your bike and it should be a sweet fork.
Agree, the Reba would be the better fork. That frame is not really designed for a 120-130mm fork, and it makes no sense to buy a long fork and run it at less than 100% of travel all the time (with the exception of climbs and things like that).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks again, im really not up for breaking the frame before i have the money for a new one so can you reccomend me a fork Under 130mm i could use for AM, how about the argyle 318? thanks guys
Jake

·
Registered
700 Posts
Marzocchi makes damn good forks so don't count them out just because someone says so,I have a Marz. fork and it's very nice.Manitou also has some nice forks in their lineup,I had an older Black Eite Air and it was a good fork.I have no experience with Fox.That being said,the Rockshox with the U-turn are pretty cool and are perfect for more of an all around bike so you can change the travel for different riding styles.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.