Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought a Nomad and it has a coil shock on the rear and now i am looking for a 6 inch travel fork for it ,it must be a coil one as this is what i prefer there are a couple i've tried one was a R/S Lyrik Coil that was nice but for some reason when i rode it for a few miles in wet and muddy conditions it would get harder to compress than it was at the beginning of the ride but next morning when everything had dried off it would feel realy nice again but take it on the trail again and after a few miles it would start feeling stiffer again . I also have a friend who says that his are like that aswell so this is putting me off them a bit.The other fork i have tried is a Fox36 VAN RC 2008 now this felt really nice aswell but the only thing is it does not have a lock out on it like the Lyrik has which is really handy for climbing but i suppose i could live with that,i couldn't really fault the Van but a couple of people i know have had'to have new uppers on them cos the anodizing had worn away on them so thats putting me off a bit not really looked at anything else any thoughts would be much appreciated:madman:

·
Registered
256 Posts
I know you said you want a coil fork but my suggestion is the 36 Float R. I can almost guarantee you would not be able to tell the difference between it and a 36 Van if they were both the same color and had no decals. The newer cartridge design ('08+) is insane. It's definitely the most coil-like air fork I've ever felt by far. Plus it's almost .5 pounds lighter than the coil. Don't waste your money on the RC2 system, it is virtually piontless with such a small amount of oil in the cartridge the adjustments are praticaly imperceptible. That's my two cents...

·
Registered
150 Posts
I run an 07 Marz 66 rc2x, with a spacer to keep the travel to 160mm. Perfect combo for me and the trails around here. I ran it before with 180mm travel and ETA. Overall the bike feels betrter with 160mm of travel. I'm sold on the 66.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
jager251 said:
I run an 07 Marz 66 rc2x, with a spacer to keep the travel to 160mm. Perfect combo for me and the trails around here. I ran it before with 180mm travel and ETA. Overall the bike feels betrter with 160mm of travel. I'm sold on the 66.
Can you put a spacer on a 05 66rc to bring it down to 160MM??? the 66 is awesome.

Michelin, I have a brand new 55R in 160mm with no miles on it. Just installed and took it off. It was 140mm till i swapped the spacer and added new oil 190cc.

·
Au'Right!
395 Posts
I agree about the lockout part...the Nomad really doesn't require it. Yes the 66 can be travel reduced. Buy an 07 Zokes, stay away from the 08's.

·
Registered
150 Posts
helimech said:
Can you put a spacer on a 05 66rc to bring it down to 160MM??? the 66 is awesome.
I only have hands on experiance with the 07 66 in two configurations. I suggest you contact Marspooky. They were helpful but you may have to wait as their responce time to my emails has varied in the past.
From my previous experiances with the Z1 series, although specs like stanchion diameter may remain the same, I found there is less parts commonality between certain years then I had hoped (or thought logical).
From the looks of it the spacer appears to simply be a 20mm high piece of pastic tube. I'm not sure what else they may have changed.

Good luck!

·
nopavement
59 Posts
I have the coil Lyrik and it is great, a little heavy i the front is my only complaint, it has the travel adjust (u-turn) but I prefer to climb with it fully extended, I guess I am just used to that geo. I don't even think about not having a lockout, it doesn't bob at all. You could always turn up the low speed compression, which would be like a pro-pedal setting. You can't beat the maxle either.

·
KEEP ROLLING
379 Posts
how about the totem coil ? i know its over 6" but some times i wish i had a little more travel than my 36 float rc2 so i could bomb DH a little bit faster. I really love my float though it is smooth and i have never really wanted to adjust the hight or lock it out. but it would not hurt if i could, just to help on the up hills.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I thought I'd hijack this thread.

I found an 08 nomad for a deal and currently im on a 575'08 with a Pike 454 Coil.
Will transfer the components to the nomad including the Pike. Wil decide which works for me and sell either one of the frames later.

My riding is all day tech trail(including tech climbs), jumps, drops, and the occasional downhill. Never XC as I have a rig for that already.
Would the Pike be a suitable fork for the Nomad? Will the head angle be to steep for it? as its only 140mm travel. I 've read that the nomad is sweet with a 160mm fork bit dont want to burn bills on it yet.

Cheers!

·
Registered
879 Posts
SC used to offer the Pike as one of the fork choices on a Nomad. They don't anymore, but you could get away with it - it'll steepen the head angle though, so probably not ideal for the jumps, drops and downhill. I don't think you'll see the best of the Nomad with the Pike, as good a fork as it is.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I have had 3 forks on my Nomad.

Marzo AM1 150-130mm adjustable. Great fork, but flexy because it was the QR version. I left it always at 150mm, the few times I tried it at 130mm it was not the greatest, the front felt a bit too steep for my taste. By the way, that Marzo at 130 is the same axle to crown distance as a Pike.

Then I got a Nixon Elite 160mm with 20mm axle. Much stiffer then the Marzo AM1, only 10mm more travel but same A to C length so it felt great.

Then this year I got a Mazo 66 RC3 180mm. That's a bit too much for trail riding. It is great when I use my Nomad for DH but on trail rides I swap back to the Nixon. At 180mm, the A to C is just a bit over the length which is the sweet spot on the Nomad.

So if I had to keep only one fork, it would be the Nixon 160mm because it is the most versatile I have. However, having the privilege to own two, this is great because I just swap the fork depending on what type of trail I ride.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
35 Posts
get the Van 36RC2 to match your rear suspension, if you wanna shave some weight get the Float 36RC2 youll get the same plushness as the VAN but it'll cost you a few more bucks, get the RC2 model it makes a big difference when your cranking up the local trail.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have a Marz. 55 eta on my Nomad and love it. The RC3 Cart should be out soon. But so far the TST on my for has worked great. Great mid stroke and small bump performance and have not bottomed it out yet. It tracks well and I have my eta function. I use this often. I had a Fox Van 36 on my bike but I prefer Marz. 55. I was in between the Med and Hard spring on the Fox Van and I could not get the fork set to my liking. Fox really needs to make a spring in between those 2 springs because one is way too soft, bottoms easily, and the other is too firm. I weigh 175lbs.
My vote is a 55 eta.
You cant go wrong with a Fox 36 series of forks though.

Some body should seriously consider starting a company that would rent out forks so we can try before we buy! Kind of like competitive does with their bikes.
Sorry I got off topic a little.
Take Care and Good luck.
Mctigre:thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.