Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into buying a 5.5. which fork are you running? and what length? I want to run a 140mm but I know the 5.5 is designed for a 130mm. Will it make a difference?

·
Registered
53 Posts
i'm running a minute 2:00 w/ 130mm travel.. i like it.. it's been a great fork, though i'm looking to upgrade to something with a little more travel.. my 5.5 is my only (real) bike at the moment, so when i do some more AM type riding w/ some fast descents and drops, it can feel a little twitchy at speed.. the slightly slacker HA a longer fork would give would slow that down a bit.. i'm currently looking at the '06 Nixons (w/ 145mm travel, though only 13mm longer A to C than the minute) cause there are some great deals going at the moment, though if i had the $$ i'd be getting an '07 Talas for sure..:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
2007 Manitou Minute! Light (3.6lbs.), stiff and 140mm. No, using 140mm. won't make any difference. I've been riding with a 145mm. Nixon for two years. The Fox Forx are nice but there are issues with the adjustment knobs hitting the down tube on the 5point5. If I bought a 2007 fork now, I'd get the Minute.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
412 Posts
crashmasta said:
I am looking into buying a 5.5. which fork are you running? and what length? I want to run a 140mm but I know the 5.5 is designed for a 130mm. Will it make a difference?
IMHO, 10 mm in travel does not make such a huge difference. More imortant is the axle to crown height, as these can vary greatly. For example, I was running a 140mm travel Nixon Comp on my 5.5 with an height of 518 mm... from a 130 mm Fox Talas RLC with a height of 495 mm.

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
I just went from a Minute 2 to a Revelation.

The Revelation is a great deal, and seems to work great with the bike (for the limited time I've been on it thusfar!)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Posted by Ronnie
2007 Manitou Minute! Light (3.6lbs.), stiff and 140mm. No, using 140mm. won't make any difference. I've been riding with a 145mm. Nixon for two years. The Fox Forx are nice but there are issues with the adjustment knobs hitting the down tube on the 5point5. If I bought a 2007 fork now, I'd get the Minute.
I will correct my earlier remark "if had the $$ i'd be getting an '07 Talas for sure..". Very true Ronnie, i forgot the '07 Minute has 140mm travel now.. they're great forks too! Means you don't have to get yourself a race to avoid the downtube clearance issue too..(on the talas) plus IMO the minutes look better! ha! that was big change from my original statement (i just liked the idea of the adjustable travel) though i've found the SPV evolve quite good on the '06 and haven't found myself winding down or up the travel much at all.. plus they now come with the option of the QR Hex Axle for '07.. (did they have that in '06 for the minute?)

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
vicarious intension said:
I will correct my earlier remark "if had the $$ i'd be getting an '07 Talas for sure..". Very true Ronnie, i forgot the '07 Minute has 140mm travel now.. they're great forks too! Means you don't have to get yourself a race to avoid the downtube clearance issue too..(on the talas) plus IMO the minutes look better! ha! that was big change from my original statement (i just liked the idea of the adjustable travel) though i've found the SPV evolve quite good on the '06 and haven't found myself winding down or up the travel much at all.. plus they now come with the option of the QR Hex Axle for '07.. (did they have that in '06 for the minute?)
No, I don't think they had hex on the 2006 Minute forks. If you still want travel adjust you could get the 2007 Minute Platinum with IT. Can be set anywhere from zero to 140mm. very simply. You hold the bar mounted lever and weight the fork and it drops down. Press again while unweighting and it extends. Wherever you release the lever is where it stays. Very easy to use but as I said, I never used it much.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
102 Posts
07 Fox Float RLC

Was too steep for me. I was running an AM1 and loved it, but thought I would try to save a pound and bought a 07 Float. Well, I just went back to the AM1 because it felt better on the steeps and a little smoother. I was having trouble on stuff with the Float that felt comfortable on the AM1. Anyone in the market for a 07 Float?

·
Registered
219 Posts
crashmasta said:
I run a Pike Team air, and with a ventana crown spacere(adding 7mm) and it makes the bike so much more happy on the trails, nicer more controlled steering, and more compact geomtry, i absolute love this set-up. And the fork just plain rocks, only weighing 1850 grams

Jesper Welling

·
Registered
102 Posts
jeb said:
I run a Pike Team air, and with a ventana crown spacere(adding 7mm) and it makes the bike so much more happy on the trails, nicer more controlled steering, and more compact geomtry, i absolute love this set-up. And the fork just plain rocks, only weighing 1850 grams

Jesper Welling
I think I will try one with my Float. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Ronnie said:
You hold the bar mounted lever and weight the fork and it drops down. Press again while unweighting and it extends. Wherever you release the lever is where it stays. Very easy to use but as I said, I never used it much.

Ronnie.
Now that I think about it,, the chair in my office can do that!....oh god..... what a bad idea im about to think up.... OFFICE CHAIR FRONT FORKS.....now that I think about it...that would be stupid....which is why I might just figure out a way to do it.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
macdaddyg2006 said:
So what would be the best manitou fork for value when upgrading from an Minute 3 '06 IT 130mm fork to a 140mm fork?
I'm assuming you are talking about on a 5point5. You must first decide what features you want a fork to have. Do you like the IT? I thought it worked well but I never used it much so I changed it for a fixed travel fork. Do you like SPV or not? Are you using a QR or a 20mm. axle? I ask because I prefer the 145mm. travel Nixon on my 5point5 without SPV damping. Unfortunately for 2007 it appears that the Nixons only come with hex axle. The 2007 Minute Super looks great though with 140mm. and SPV damping. It is available with both QR and 20mm.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Oh, I was going to say any Fox fork, but you want a Manitou. Couldn't think of anything to recommend ;-)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a Minute 3 with IT (130mm). I don't use the IT that often so i'm not attached to it. It's a QR setup. Not really sure what features I like/need because I only have experience with this fork. What is a hex axle and do i need it? I wanted an economical solution so that why i was asking about good value.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i roll with the pike 454 dual air team....it's freakin' awesome.

i have yet to find a hill i can't climb, and i bombed the SD course at Angel Fire with it just fine.

i also like the 20MM front...mucho stiffo.

i think it's about the best AM fork i've ever ridden, and that includes the talas 36 on my 6.6.

word.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
macdaddyg2006 said:
I have a Minute 3 with IT (130mm). I don't use the IT that often so i'm not attached to it. It's a QR setup. Not really sure what features I like/need because I only have experience with this fork. What is a hex axle and do i need it? I wanted an economical solution so that why i was asking about good value.
A Hex Lock axle is a 20mm. axle which has a hexagonal end on both sides that bolt into the fork legs making for a stiffer fork and front wheel assembly. It does however require a special wheel hub that is capable of utilizing a 20mm. axle. The most cost effective for you if you want a 2007 fork would be to look at the 2007 Minute Super with QR dropouts. Alternatively you could get a 2006 Manitou Nixon Super Intrinsic like this one reduced to only $350. It has 145mm. travel. I'm using one and I love it. If I needed a new fork now I wouldn't hesitate. Make sure you order a QR version.

Ronnie.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.