Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems to me that buying a new fork is a losing battle. The only forks that seems able to hold my weight are all pretty long travel which means I need to also upgrade my frame. Also, I am becoming more confused as I read the forums. 6 months agao it was all about the coil spring and now it seems there are air forks that will hold my weight, however I am very skeptical. My choices seem to be pike coil or air or a marzocchi all mountain 1 possibly an argyle (this would allow me to keep my current frame). What is your guys opinion on this. If I need to upgrade the frame I am leaning toward the Banshee Scirocco as it seems to be able to take the abuse of me on it. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
The rs Pike coil can be dialed down all the way to 95mm... you can also take a look at the new 07 RS Revelation coil U-turn, which goes from 85mm to 130mm, so it should fit your bike well unless it is way too old...

On a lower budget you can also look at the Recon or Tora 318, as they have steel steerers and the Tora has steel stanchions too..

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
mtnbiker72 said:
Have you looked into Marzocchi and Manitou Jumping Forks? They're heavy (well, the Marzocchi and the Stance are), but come in 80mm and 100mm travel lengths and are coil sprung.

Marzocchi DJ3
or
Manitou Gold Label 1
or
Manitou Stance Static

:thumbsup:
you might want to talk w/brad....moniker nemesis project.......he customs forks

BTW I wouldn't get an air shock at your size

·
Registered
364 Posts
another vote for the Marz All-Mountain 1

I'm a 300 pounder too. I exchanged a couple emails with Marzocchi customer service about the All-Mountain 1, and they are quite confident that the coil + air version is adequate for "any @$$-whooping you throw at it." You just need to put in enough of the right kind of oil so the rebound isn't too harsh.

But yeah, with one of those you're in long-travel hardtail frame land. The Scirocco is a fine frame, but check out the Santa Cruz Chameleon too.

(I didn't get one because there's no 29er All-Mountain so far)

Anyone have any luck running a long travel fork on a Surly Instigator? With a lockdown like ETA, it might not be too bad to pedal out to the trailhead....

·
Registered
383 Posts
IF you want to you can take a look at my threads in here and Santa cruz and shocks about the same subject.

Basicilly, I'm around 300-ish:rolleyes: Decided I wanted to upgrade my hardtail and ended finding a Magura asgard fork on ebay for $200. it's a ir fork but i will tell you held up to any abuse i threw at it.
I splurged and got a clean 04 SC bullit frame and was back to square one because the 100mm was to short for the bullit. After a lot of research, for the same reasons as you . I was recomeded a dual spring fork like the Marz 66rc2x with the air assist and like you was assured from Marz that it would hold up.
I ended up getting a Marz Jr T (Couldn't past up the deal($100.) I figured if it sucked I could always resell it and get my money back plus it was the end of the season and if I waited I coud get a 06 66 cheaper over the winter or into 07.

The JR T has dual heavy springs and standard oil. It works but i havn't done any really big hits( Not that I really do any "really big hits!:p ) but really agressive trail rides 1' to 2' drops and i go thru all the travel. I don't bottom out but I use it. Marz recomended that I add a little more oil (10/15cc) to stiffen it up but it's to dam cold out here to try it yet.

So good luck, it sucks. I wouldn't look at anything new yet from R/S they havn't released their heavy srpings and have no info on how "us" bigger riders will hold up plus all the R/S is a single sided spring set up and from the research I have done that just isn't going to cut it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm 280 and I just got a RockShox revelation dual air and I'm VERY happy with it so far. I don't ride anything to big, just 1-2 foot drops. It's a very plush ride and I haven't noticed any deflection or any of that in the fork when riding. The dual air is cool because you can set it up to be more or less active over the small stuff depending on how you set the negative air chamber. Anyway, a big thumbs up from this heavy guy for the revelation :thumbsup:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I agree, the new Rock shox forks are very good, and durable. I'm not quite as heavy at 240lbs, but I have had the Revelation dual air, and now have the Pike dual air. When the going gets rough, the thru hole axle on the Pike allows it to track better than the Rev, but they are both great! Looking at the reviews, I would stay away from the air U-turn models, as they seem to have the more consistant problems than the dual air or coil models.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.