Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 100mm Manitou Minute 2 on my 05 Flux (Large) and it is now minus the rebound adjuster (the thing snapped off in my hand as I turned it to full rebound). I am not all that impressed with the Minute 2... wait a minute here... sorry if I offend anyone, but so far, the Minute 2 is the worst fork that I have ridden since the 1999 Manitou Carbon and the 2001 Rock Shox Judy.

I am 6' and my riding weight with gear is 195# and the Minute 2 is downright unsafe while descending. I have 0 confidence while riding this fork downhill. This may partially be due to the 120mm stem 0 degree that I am currently running. Anyway, I can't seem to get the Minute 2 setup to where it won't be fully compressed (and I mean fully) on medium to steep descents. I run the SPV on the Minute 2 at 75lbs and the main chamber at 130lbs of air... the manual says to start at 50lbs for the SPV and half of your rider weight for the main chamber (that would be 100lbs or so). Am I way off on my setup, or is my fork a POS?

If I am the proud owner of a POS fork, please suggest a replacement for me. I plan to use this bike 90% of the time for XC riding and 10% of the time for XC racing (fun, non-competitive races - poker rides, local charity events, Sea Otter, etc.).

My last bike had a 100mm Fox 100x (teralogic) on it. I was not all that crazy about the teralogic while riding technical sections, but in retrospect, the 100x is a FAR superior fork to the Minute 2.

The forks that I have looked at so far are the 2007 Fox Float 100mm R and RLT, the F100x, the Talas and the Rock Shox Reba. Price is not really much of an issue (I want to enjoy the right fork). I also want the bike to remain at around 26lbs, so the Talas might be too heavy.

Thank you for all suggestions,

Hawk

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
earch search search - works great.
But since you asked - the Reba Team U-turn is the fork you want. Ideally w/o the pop-loc unless you like the bar clutter. If travel adjust is not important to you, go with the dual air, but the 85-115mm adjust gives the Flux a lot of versatility for steep climbs and bigger descents. Light, stiff and reasonably priced. I'm on my second full season on the Reba on my Burner and I only now overhauled it. It was still pretty clean inside and the bushings and seals are still tight. Just had to change the oil and it's still going strong.

·
ride
5,274 Posts
cutthroat said:
earch search search - works great.
But since you asked - the Reba Team U-turn is the fork you want. Ideally w/o the pop-loc unless you like the bar clutter. If travel adjust is not important to you, go with the dual air, but the 85-115mm adjust gives the Flux a lot of versatility for steep climbs and bigger descents.
I'll second that. I've had a Rebas on a few Fluxes to date. They have worked exceptionally well. The Fox F100rlc is also a great fork albeit pricier. The 32 Talas RLC will also be a good fit if you are a Fox fan and want the adjustability.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
i found the '04 talus perfect on my '05 flux but bigger guys might not. the reba is a safe bet. either way, go adjustable.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
As an FYI there is a search tool at the top of the page - click on advanced search - it is pretty intuitive from there - there have been a bajillion what fork for my flux, spot etc. etc. threads and even a what frame for my pike thread (very funny cc) - this tool is your friend

ps - the reba wins every time !

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I have a Minute 2 on my Flux as well and I completely concur with your assessment of the fork. It sucks. The main problem, as you stated, is that the fork has no midstroke support if it's tuned with any reasonable amount of sag. I have been playing with it and have just replaced the SPV damper. One thing you may want to try is to "devolve" the SPV valve so that the fork will be plusher and you can run more air in the main chamber. You can find more info on this in the shock forum if you search under SPV devolve and Dougal (he is the guy who came up with this simple mod).

I am planning on replacing the fork this Spring if I can't get it to improve. My plan is to buy a Reba Team Air U-Turn. Light, adjustable, and very tunable. I rode an air Revelation in Moab last fall on a 5-Spot and the fork rocked. It was very unglamorous, but it got the job done extremely well. On the same trip I rode several Fox Talas 32 and none came close to the Revelation. I think the guts of the Reba and of the Revelation are identical, they just differ in travel.

I'll try to see if the Minute works on my wife's Santacruz Superlight. She is 40lbs lighter than me and I think it can be a supple fork for a light rider.

Good luck and post back if you find a fork that you like!

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
HBhawk said:
The forks that I have looked at so far are the 2007 Fox Float 100mm R and RLT, the F100x, the Talas and the Rock Shox Reba.
I ran a Float 100 RLC on mine. Great fork for this application, but the Reba on my Sultan is pretty impressive too. I'd still probably spring for the Fox (probably the lighter F100model) given the choice though: it gives the impression of better build quality, and I like the simplicity of the single air chamber (bad experience with the seals between the positive and negative chamber blowing on a Reba). FWIW I never missed having adjustable travel.

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
i've gotta say it...search function! :thumbsup:
we just talked about this last week...check it out here.
enjoy! :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nybike -

i am glad i am not the only one out there that is having minute 2 issues.

i am also not the only one with a wife that is 40lbs lighter (well actually 50lbs when i am rollin my summertime girlish figure) that ride with a minute 2. she has it on her burner and has no issues with it what so ever. the minute 2 must not be suited for 190+ pounders.

thanks for the input so far everyone. i am still trying to decide.

hawk

·
Registered
413 Posts
I've got the '06 Reba on my HT and and the '07 F100 RLC on my Flux. When I built up my Flux, I originally planned to get another Reba, but some on here (I believe it was CC) recommended that I try the Fox out, and the rest is history.

I think nybike described my impressions of the Reba best: it's unglamorous, but it gets the job done extremely well. It's extremely easy to set up, and it hasn't given me a single problem. This may not make much sense, but the thing that impresses me the most about the Reba is that I never really notice it. It just does what it's made to do capably and without complaint.

The F100 RLC takes a lot more fine tuning to dial in just right. But once you get it in the sweet spot, wow! It soaks up the small bumps without blowing through the travel on the big stuff (and I'm a big guy too, at 210-215 geared up). The lighter weight was just icing on the cake.

·
12,942 Posts
that im a smart ass. dont worry man. i just dont agree but that doesnt mean its not the best choice for other folks.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
True That

Ever ride a MX COMP? I paid around $275.oo for it 3 years ago. It was on my BURNER and now on my FLUX. I have not had any issues in that time at all. I ride 5 or 6 days a w/ i.e. lot of miles in CO. FOR THAT PRICE IT IS A PRETTY SWEET FORK.

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
You pay a pretty hefty weight penalty wiht the Marz products (can't speak to the new Corsair though) That MX Comp comes in at close to 5 pounds for a 105 mm fork. The Team Reba is only 3.7lbs. If HBhawk plans on racing, the Marz is not the fork of choice. I always liked my coil Bombers though.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
tg said:
Try A Marz. Mx Comp ,105mm ,cheap,light,stiff And It Rides Much Better Than The Fox I Had On My Flux.
Cheap, yes. Light and Stiff? Compared to what? :confused:

In my experience the ride quality is not even on the same playing field as the Reba or Fox, so I'm not sure what to make of your last comment either. What Fox did you have on your Flux? Was something wrong with it?

·
12,942 Posts
yep. for the price it works well and its a diesel of a fork. they very rarely came in for anything but routine service. however, tune options and performance windows are quite limited, its a brick and in reality doesnt cut it as a high performance fork. ill put it to ya like this tg, everything feels sweet till ya get yer paws on the real deal. do yer bank account a favor and stay with the mx comp cuz once ya ride a zoomy fork, yer in for a rough day on bill pay.

·
12,942 Posts
miles raises a good point i didnt touch on in my answer. the fox product, the rlc line in particular, is inherently tough to tune and takes some commitment, many times some help from a experienced hand too. and it can be problematic in some cases but not as a rule.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
tg

miles e said:
Cheap, yes. Light and Stiff? Compared to what? :confused:

In my experience the ride quality is not even on the same playing field as the Reba or Fox, so I'm not sure what to make of your last comment either. What Fox did you have on your Flux? Was something wrong with it?
I had a RLC spaced down to 115mm , it rode ok but not as well as the MX. I am going to put the RLC on my new 5-spot after i get the spacer out of it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts