Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at 2 forks: Fox Vanilla 125R and Fox Float 100R. I ride 4 days a week(about 50 miles on single track) but only xcountry. Never any jumping, hopping, logs, etc. I know the Vanilla is heavier, but I am not a weight wienie. Don't need lockouts, just rebound damping. I am also fully capable of tuning either shock. I can change oil, oil weights, change springs, adjust air, etc. Reason I am going to the Fox as ones I have seen have least stiction of any fork. I would be dropping the 125 down to 100 mm. Anybody have any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Float 100R

browns110 said:
I am looking at 2 forks: Fox Vanilla 125R and Fox Float 100R. I ride 4 days a week(about 50 miles on single track) but only xcountry. Never any jumping, hopping, logs, etc. I know the Vanilla is heavier, but I am not a weight wienie. Don't need lockouts, just rebound damping. I am also fully capable of tuning either shock. I can change oil, oil weights, change springs, adjust air, etc. Reason I am going to the Fox as ones I have seen have least stiction of any fork. I would be dropping the 125 down to 100 mm. Anybody have any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks.
Go with the Float 100R. You say you'd be dropping the 125 down to 100 anyway, so why not get 100mm fixed in a lighter fork. I know you not a weight weenie, but a lighter fork wouldn't hurt. It already has 100mm fixed, so no travel adjustments would be necessary from your standpoint, and you will still have a dynamite fork. However, I have to ask why you only want 100mm? I ride a Black Platinum which is adjustable from 90-120mm and I love it. I use 90 going uphill, and 120 going down. It really is the best of both worlds to have the travel available for both uphill and down. I personally like having a lockout, but I ride with guys who say they can't tell the difference between a stiff compression that still allows some travel and a lockout which allows none. But, you don't want a lockout, so I think you should grab the Float 100R because it has the travel you want in a lighter package and will be easier to climb with. Happy Trails. Mikey42186

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mikey42186 said:
Go with the Float 100R. You say you'd be dropping the 125 down to 100 anyway, so why not get 100mm fixed in a lighter fork. I know you not a weight weenie, but a lighter fork wouldn't hurt. It already has 100mm fixed, so no travel adjustments would be necessary from your standpoint, and you will still have a dynamite fork. However, I have to ask why you only want 100mm? I ride a Black Platinum which is adjustable from 90-120mm and I love it. I use 90 going uphill, and 120 going down. It really is the best of both worlds to have the travel available for both uphill and down. I personally like having a lockout, but I ride with guys who say they can't tell the difference between a stiff compression that still allows some travel and a lockout which allows none. But, you don't want a lockout, so I think you should grab the Float 100R because it has the travel you want in a lighter package and will be easier to climb with. Happy Trails. Mikey42186
Yeah, you're probably right. Why buy 125mm fork(which won't work on my current bike geometry) and drop it to 100mm. Plus as you say the Float is lighter which never hurts. Also, I don't have to get different fork springs with the float. I only climb short hills and a lockout isn't really useful. Besides I'm 61 years old and racing isn't in my future.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
browns110 said:
I've had both. They are similar but the Vanilla is definitely smoother. The Float has more progressive ramp up too so it's going to be more harsh deeper in the travel as well. If you're looking at Fox, I would highly recommend getting a new 2005 (Larry at mtnhighcyclery.com has some in stock). Fox has lightened up the forks, improved the damping, made it stiffer, 8" brake option etc. All nice features but the improving damping would probably improve the ride the most. The damping is probably the weakest link with the Fox forks.

I'm on a Minute 1:00 now. It needed some tuning but I like it better than the Float or Vanilla. The Minute is just as smooth as the Vanilla but with less dive and wallow. The Manitou damping is better than the Fox as well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Right on.

browns110 said:
Yeah, you're probably right. Why buy 125mm fork(which won't work on my current bike geometry) and drop it to 100mm. Plus as you say the Float is lighter which never hurts. Also, I don't have to get different fork springs with the float. I only climb short hills and a lockout isn't really useful. Besides I'm 61 years old and racing isn't in my future.
It sounds like you have it all figured out already. What homebrew said is true and it isn't. The Float 100R is pretty smooth too, and you will love the progressive spring rate if you hit trails often. Having a plush ride at first and then progressively stiffer is a nice thing to have if you hit ride trails alot. It may produce a hard bump if your not expecting it, but in the long run you'll be happier on the Float. I definitely agree with homebrew when he says that he likes the 1:00's damping better. It is just as smooth, but definitely has better rebound damping. That is why I ride manitou instead of Fox. I like both but I like manitou better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.