Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fox suspension docs always seem to have some weird confusing inconsistency in them, and I have never once succeeded in getting Fox to respond to an email. My current confusion:

My DH bike (2018 Santa Cruz V10 low end version) came with a fork that says "Fox 40 Performance Elite" on it. It also has a sticker with a custom shock code of DBH6. If you look that up on Fox website, you get this:

2018 Performance Elite Series 40 FLOAT 27.5 FIT4 LSC

2018, 40, A, FLOAT, 27.5in, P-SE, 203, LSC, FIT4, Matte Blk, No Logo, 20TAx110, 1.125, Flat, 52mm Rake, OE

With a link to this page for the manual.

Under adjusting rebound, there are two columns in the settings table, one for RC2, and one for FIT4. The text above in bold suggests that I have FIT4, right? Also, right next to the rebound adjustment knob on the fork is a giant stylized sticker that says "Rebound adjust FIT4". Again, I must have FIT4.

But... the sticker on the left leg of the fork with a weight/pressure chart only has one column for rebound adjust... and that column says RC2 at the top, and the numbers on it match up with the RC2 column in the link above. Furthermore, there are exactly 13 clicks in my rebound adjust range... which is the highest number of clicks present in the RC2 column in the chart (i.e. the adjusment for 49psi, presumably fully open on rebound damper).

So now I'm thoroughly confused. Though I'm leaning toward RC2. Any other ideas? Not sure it even matters... but I hate poor documentation, and I hate owning an expensive part and not even being sure what it is.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, but what's the red lump on the back of the fork in the last picture?
It's a plastic cover over the "air release button". That was a first for me too, and I'm not convinced it is useful at all. Even after ascending 7000ft in my car, when I press the buttons I still never hear any sort of equalizing happening. Although, maybe it happens so slowly I wouldn't be able to hear it. Who knows. I gave up after the second time trying, those covers haven't come off in a long time.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was at Northstar during the EWS event last weekend. I stopped by the Fox tent and asked this question to the guys inside.

a) At first they were confused by the Performance Elite 40... they just kept saying over and over again that they didn't know they ever made that combo. I joked that maybe Santa Cruz was counterfeiting them for their V10s.
b) When faced with the RC2 vs FIT4 question, they did exactly what I told them I'd already done: looked up the 4 digit code on their own website, and confirmed it must be a FIT4.

Not very confidence inspiring... guess this mystery will never be solved.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I was at Northstar during the EWS event last weekend. I stopped by the Fox tent and asked this question to the guys inside.

a) At first they were confused by the Performance Elite 40... they just kept saying over and over again that they didn't know they ever made that combo. I joked that maybe Santa Cruz was counterfeiting them for their V10s.
b) When faced with the RC2 vs FIT4 question, they did exactly what I told them I'd already done: looked up the 4 digit code on their own website, and confirmed it must be a FIT4.

Not very confidence inspiring... guess this mystery will never be solved.
I had a similar "in-between" fork that came on a salsa branded bike. I'm guessing that OE can be quite different from aftermarket. The guys you spoke likely are from the aftermarket side of fox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Shartacular Spectacular
443 Posts
Fox suspension docs always seem to have some weird confusing inconsistency in them, and I have never once succeeded in getting Fox to respond to an email. My current confusion:

My DH bike (2018 Santa Cruz V10 low end version) came with a fork that says "Fox 40 Performance Elite" on it. It also has a sticker with a custom shock code of DBH6. If you look that up on Fox website, you get this:

2018 Performance Elite Series 40 FLOAT 27.5 FIT4 LSC

2018, 40, A, FLOAT, 27.5in, P-SE, 203, LSC, FIT4, Matte Blk, No Logo, 20TAx110, 1.125, Flat, 52mm Rake, OE

With a link to this page for the manual.

Under adjusting rebound, there are two columns in the settings table, one for RC2, and one for FIT4. The text above in bold suggests that I have FIT4, right? Also, right next to the rebound adjustment knob on the fork is a giant stylized sticker that says "Rebound adjust FIT4". Again, I must have FIT4.

But... the sticker on the left leg of the fork with a weight/pressure chart only has one column for rebound adjust... and that column says RC2 at the top, and the numbers on it match up with the RC2 column in the link above. Furthermore, there are exactly 13 clicks in my rebound adjust range... which is the highest number of clicks present in the RC2 column in the chart (i.e. the adjusment for 49psi, presumably fully open on rebound damper).

So now I'm thoroughly confused. Though I'm leaning toward RC2. Any other ideas? Not sure it even matters... but I hate poor documentation, and I hate owning an expensive part and not even being sure what it is.
I am also an owner of a 2018 V10C that came with a fork sporting the same code (dbh6). You have a FIT4 damper, albeit a very basic one. IME at my weight and riding style the damper was complete and absolute garbage. I bought and installed a GRIP2 which is orders of magnitude better for me even at stock settings (which I've since tweeked a bit).

I upgraded my rear shock to an avy woodie (heaven) and since have ordered a hybrid air coil kit to match, but more so to match the feel of my rear shock than because of total dissatisfaction (I couldn't get the stock dhx2 to perform well). I don't know your weight or riding style, but I'd encourage you to consider dropping in a GRIP2 damper at the very least if you want to make the most of the bike's performance-it's a really easy install.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow this got way more complicated than it needed to be

You have a 2018 "Fit4 RC". It is basically the same as a Fit4 3-pos without the pedal mode/lockout lever. Oem only on certain brands so not many people will have seen

Its this-

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=863#part10584
Thanks for that. So when looking at the rebound knob chart which has both RC and FIT4 columns, should I pay attention to the RC one? This is the one stuck on the fork, and the rebound has 13 clicks total, which lines up with that as well.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am also an owner of a 2018 V10C that came with a fork sporting the same code (dbh6). You have a FIT4 damper, albeit a very basic one. IME at my weight and riding style the damper was complete and absolute garbage. I bought and installed a GRIP2 which is orders of magnitude better for me even at stock settings (which I've since tweeked a bit).

I upgraded my rear shock to an avy woodie (heaven) and since have ordered a hybrid air coil kit to match, but more so to match the feel of my rear shock than because of total dissatisfaction (I couldn't get the stock dhx2 to perform well). I don't know your weight or riding style, but I'd encourage you to consider dropping in a GRIP2 damper at the very least if you want to make the most of the bike's performance-it's a really easy install.
I don't even know how to describe my riding style. I'm pretty new to DH. I'm also pretty new to dialing in suspension, and have a hard time being super cognizant of the finer feelings like rebound, etc when on the actual trail. Pretty much the only thing I notice for sure is if rebound is too bucky, but usually when that happens it's because of how I hit a lip or a landing. I ride equal mix of tech and freeride. I probably usually have my weight a bit too far behind centered.

I've posted elsewhere on these forums about my issues with both shocks on this bike.

With the fork, when I set it up per factory recommendations, I was barely even using half the stroke. I'm 185lb with gear btw. I've been steadily lowering the pressure each ride, and currently I'm at about 61psi which is prescribed for somebody waaay lighter than me. But I'm finally using 90% of the stroke.

With the rear, I have the opposite problem. I bottom out extremely quickly even on mellow trails. I never feel a harsh bottom out (unless landing a massive jump flat), but I do know that even on mellow tech trails it uses the stroke quickly. I recently upped the stock spring to 550, which is prescribed for a heavier guy, and I still bottom out just as quickly it seems. Not sure if I should go to 600.

What were your issues with the shocks?

·
Shartacular Spectacular
443 Posts
I don't even know how to describe my riding style. I'm pretty new to DH. I'm also pretty new to dialing in suspension, and have a hard time being super cognizant of the finer feelings like rebound, etc when on the actual trail. Pretty much the only thing I notice for sure is if rebound is too bucky, but usually when that happens it's because of how I hit a lip or a landing. I ride equal mix of tech and freeride. I probably usually have my weight a bit too far behind centered.

I've posted elsewhere on these forums about my issues with both shocks on this bike.

With the fork, when I set it up per factory recommendations, I was barely even using half the stroke. I'm 185lb with gear btw. I've been steadily lowering the pressure each ride, and currently I'm at about 61psi which is prescribed for somebody waaay lighter than me. But I'm finally using 90% of the stroke.

With the rear, I have the opposite problem. I bottom out extremely quickly even on mellow trails. I never feel a harsh bottom out (unless landing a massive jump flat), but I do know that even on mellow tech trails it uses the stroke quickly. I recently upped the stock spring to 550, which is prescribed for a heavier guy, and I still bottom out just as quickly it seems. Not sure if I should go to 600.

What were your issues with the shocks?
I've outlined my issues with the stock DHX2 here: https://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/initial-thoughts-transformative-rear-shock-1112121.html

With the stock fork damper I had to either run it soft to get small bump sensitivity at the cost of support on big hits and ride height in steep shoots or really hard to get the aforementioned support. With the rebound it either packed up and felt really harsh or I sped up the rebound enough to keep from packing and the front wheel was all over the place. I messed with air pressure and the two dials and just couldn't get it to track the terrain at speed while providing adequate support. My guess is that I'm outside of the target bell curve. After realizing I probably wasn't going to get the level of performance I was looking for I went the same route I had last year on my trailbike after having a similar experience with the GRIP1 it came with, I upgraded to the GRIP2.

In any case, the GRIP2 allowed me to play with the low and high speed compression / rebound to achieve better grip and support without eating through travel or feeling like a pogo stick. Upgrading to the GRIP2 on both my trail and DH bike has yielded significantly better results at even the stock recommended settings for the damper.

For reference I'm ~215 lbs geared up with a hydration pack and ride a mix of tech and flow, though even the flow trails at my home mountain are a bit chunkier than what you'd typically find out west. Lots of loose rocks and shale.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.