Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey you guys, you may remember me from my previous thread, thanks again for all your support! I decided I'll just cut my losses and get another one, what do you reccomend? My wheels are 135mm and 170mm, I'm considering the Salsa Mukluk which is £400 and the On One Fatty which is £300, anyone got any advice? Thanks! :)

·
nothing to see here
3,279 Posts
I had the same choice to make and went with the On-One Fatty, even though I'm a single speeder at heart. Main deciding factor for me was availability. And that Fatty looks indestructible too.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would say the On One for sure then!!
Hmmm I think you're right, I should just go with that, despite how awesome the salsa looks, espcially the gold - imagine that with this rasta theme I'm doing!

I had the same choice to make and went with the On-One Fatty, even though I'm a single speeder at heart. Main deciding factor for me was availability. And that Fatty looks indestructible too.
It does look really strong, is it that strong? My aluminium fatback frigging crumpled! And what do you mean despite being a single speeder, I am too! Can you not run single speed for some reason? Thanks! :)

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Hmmm I think you're right, I should just go with that, despite how awesome the salsa looks, espcially the gold - imagine that with this rasta theme I'm doing!

It does look really strong, is it that strong? My aluminium fatback frigging crumpled! And what do you mean despite being a single speeder, I am too! Can you not run single speed for some reason? Thanks! :)
The On-One has no adjusters for chain tension, the current model Mukluks have. Both are good bikes IMO.

But seeing as you have crumpled a bike, you might like to look at the Singular Puffin frameset (steel) which is designed for SS and derailleur use. There's also the Surly Pugsley, but not if you want to use your existing wheels.

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
The On-Ones look burly. If you're hard on frames and riding mostly dirt, steel is definitely the way to go as far as current fatbike offerings. What year Fatback did you have and how did you crumple it?

Singlespeed is easily solved with a low profile, low tech tensioner like the DMR STS.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The On-One has no adjusters for chain tension, the current model Mukluks have. Both are good bikes IMO.

But seeing as you have crumpled a bike, you might like to look at the Singular Puffin frameset (steel) which is designed for SS and derailleur use. There's also the Surly Pugsley, but not if you want to use your existing wheels.
Ah okay, but can yo not just use a chain tensioner? The singular Puffin looks good, but I'm wondering, isn't the on one also made of steel? Also I can't find the Puffin for sale anywhere!

The On-Ones look burly. If you're hard on frames and riding mostly dirt, steel is definitely the way to go as far as current fatbike offerings. What year Fatback did you have and how did you crumple it?

Singlespeed is easily solved with a low profile, low tech tensioner like the DMR STS.
They do look really burly, the frame looks very reinforced as well. I'm not sure, apparently it was one of the older chinese ones and if you really do want to know how, there's a whole thread on it for you! http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/desperately-need-some-advice-my-fatbike-908761.html
Exactly, and I have two of those! :)

·
nothing to see here
3,279 Posts
Puffins aren't available yet. On-One Fatty is aluminium (no idea what grade alu) and over 2kg for the frame, which suggests more material (granted the twin top tubes probably weigh more than a single).

I will run mine as a SS pretty soon, but haven't decided which tensioner to use. I may try a magic gear first.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Puffins aren't available yet. On-One Fatty is aluminium (no idea what grade alu) and over 2kg for the frame, which suggests more material (granted the twin top tubes probably weigh more than a single).

I will run mine as a SS pretty soon, but haven't decided which tensioner to use. I may try a magic gear first.
Darn I was really hoping it was made from steel! :( I have an on one fatty fork in front of me now, and that is!

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts

They do look really burly, the frame looks very reinforced as well. I'm not sure, apparently it was one of the older chinese ones and if you really do want to know how, there's a whole thread on it for you! http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/desperately-need-some-advice-my-fatbike-908761.html
Exactly, and I have two of those! :)

Gah!! That's one of the 1.5 gen Fatbacks from 2009! I have the same frame/color in L. Sad day. I've always referred to that style as the Spenard Slugger Fatbacks due to the downtube shape.

I forgot the On Ones were Alu. They still look exceptionally burly, and I would hazard a guess that they're one of the stronger production fat frames out there.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gah!! That's one of the 1.5 gen Fatbacks from 2009! I have the same frame/color in L. Sad day. I've always referred to that style as the Spenard Slugger Fatbacks due to the downtube shape.

I forgot the On Ones were Alu. They still look exceptionally burly, and I would hazard a guess that they're one of the stronger production fat frames out there.
Yeah apparently! Funnily enough it was also in large AND it was the downtube that crumpled!
I wish they weren't :( Exceptionally burly? I really don't want to get another ally frame tbh, but if I was, the gold mukluk looks the ****! Plus it'd look friggin awesome as I was gonna go for a rasta theme based on these grips https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l124/opengroundpark/07-RI-GRPRAS_zps51cc9469.jpg and get just red, green and yellow parts!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You guys, I need your help, like now! I've been offered the chance to get the on one for £270 frame alone (i have the original forks anyway) or the Salsa Mukluk in gold for £350, which one!!!

·
aka bOb
8,813 Posts
The One one Might be a touch big for you @ 5'4 but it should in theory be stronger. That being said at your weight either should be ok. I would still think for your application the On One might be your best bet though but in the end we are just arm chairing it and it is truly up to you.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The One one Might be a touch big for you @ 5'4 but it should in theory be stronger. That being said at your weight either should be ok. I would still think for your application the On One might be your best bet though but in the end we are just arm chairing it and it is truly up to you.
Thanks for your reply, it is really appreciated! I'm not sure which one is stronger, if you think the on one is, then I guess I'll go for that :) but rastaaaaaa! do you think the salsa would be strong enough? That's what I'm worried about, it being a weak ass frame like my fatback! The on one seems to have reinforced extra tubing.... Wish I could buy a steel one!

·
nothing to see here
3,279 Posts
If my choice were based on perceived strength alone, I'd still get the On-One. Looks go to the Salsa. They sure make a pretty bike there.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts