Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this might have been a better question for the wheels and tires forum, but hey, it's going on my singlespeed right?!
Tomorrow I'll be throwing a rigid fork, a Pace RC31, on my singlespeed. To take "some" of the sting out of the rigid front end, I would like to get a larger volume front tire that's also relatively lightweight. I was thinking somewhere in the 2.3 to 2.4 range, maybe the WTB Mutano Raptor 2.4. How's this tire? And more to the point, are there any other tires I should be considering? Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
483 Posts
timberwolf

I have the same fork pace fork on my BuSS, and clearance is not an issue. I've run a few front tires, including the 2.4 mutano raptor. i wanted something bigger and with more bite with the lugs. just put on a 2.5" timberwolf race. only two rides on it, both were in the snow and on wet roots. it's much closer to what i was seeking. much bigger footprint.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
Lots o' choices depending your your terrain and whims
  • TimberWolf 2.5 (2.7)
  • Schwalbe Big Betty 2.40
  • Panaracer Fire FR 2.4
  • Schwalbe Fat Albert 2.35
  • Bontrager Big Earl 2.5 (2.8)
  • Kenda Blue Groove/Nevegal 2.35/2.50
  • Kenda Cortez 2.40
  • Conti Diesel 2.5
  • Hutchinson Spider 2.3
  • IRC TrailBear 2.5
  • Specialized Enduro Pro 2.40
  • Syncros Point N Chute 2.50
All of these are folding bead and 750-950g.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,019 Posts
Another Timberwolf vote

Cygnus said:
I have the same fork pace fork on my BuSS, and clearance is not an issue. I've run a few front tires, including the 2.4 mutano raptor. i wanted something bigger and with more bite with the lugs. just put on a 2.5" timberwolf race. only two rides on it, both were in the snow and on wet roots. it's much closer to what i was seeking. much bigger footprint.
I have a Surly 29er fork on my Vulture, run a Timberwolf 2.5 and absolutley love it in everything I have ridden it in since last spring. Not super light. but not to many big meat tires that are. It feels like it rolls good, grabs wet roots, rocks, duff, etc...

It also feels pretty good in the suspension part, I run mine at about 35-40lbs.

Hope that helps....
 

·
Back of the pack fat guy
Joined
·
4,008 Posts
crawdad said:
I know this might have been a better question for the wheels and tires forum, but hey, it's going on my singlespeed right?!
Tomorrow I'll be throwing a rigid fork, a Pace RC31, on my singlespeed. To take "some" of the sting out of the rigid front end, I would like to get a larger volume front tire that's also relatively lightweight. I was thinking somewhere in the 2.3 to 2.4 range, maybe the WTB Mutano Raptor 2.4. How's this tire? And more to the point, are there any other tires I should be considering? Thanks in advance.
I've run a Mutano on and off with a rigid front fork for about 2 - 3 years. First, it is NOT a 2.4. It's more like a high-volume and tall 2.1 or maybe 2.2. Second, it is very light - less than 600 grams (stated weight). Third - it's great for hardpack; not so great for soft soil - it has very short lugs. Fourth, it has thin sidewalls, so not great for rocky areas. Fifth - Very fast rolling and easy to spin up if you run it as a rear tire. I like it for a summertime tire for the hardpack and loose over hardpack around here - it seems to hit a traction sweet spot at around 30 psi. However, when I ran it at Barbie Camp in Central Oregon this fall, it didn't have nearly enough bite for the soft soil conditions.

For winter riding, I'm currently running the Fire FR 2.4 up front with a rigid fork. The Fire FR is like the anit-Mutano: Heavy, tall lugs, thick sidewalls, and probably measures closer to a 2.5 than a 2.4. I run it at about 20 - 25 psi and it gives great snow and soft soil traction. A buddy runs the Conti Diesel 2.5 up front on his rigid-equipped 1x1 and gives it good reviews.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
Earthpig said:
I've run a Mutano on and off with a rigid front fork for about 2 - 3 years. First, it is NOT a 2.4. It's more like a high-volume and tall 2.1 or maybe 2.2...
It may not actually measure 2.4" but the casing size is inline with most other tires in the 2.35-2.4" range. Still much bigger than most 2.1-2.2 tires. The small tread blocks and narrow tread width make it look narrower.

You are right about the rest of it.
 

·
Back of the pack fat guy
Joined
·
4,008 Posts
shiggy said:
It may not actually measure 2.4" but the casing size is inline with most other tires in the 2.35-2.4" range. Still much bigger than most 2.1-2.2 tires. The small tread blocks and narrow tread width make it look narrower.

You are right about the rest of it.
Actual "2.4" Mutanoraptor width specs from your very own website:

Casing - 2.09 inches wide. Tread - 2.09 inches wide.

Seems to me that 2.09 inches is pretty darn close to 2.1 inches, but hey, you're the expert, right? :p
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
Earthpig said:
Actual "2.4" Mutanoraptor width specs from your very own website:

Casing - 2.09 inches wide. Tread - 2.09 inches wide.

Seems to me that 2.09 inches is pretty darn close to 2.1 inches, but hey, you're the expert, right? :p
True, the casing width is close to 2.1", just like most tires in the same stated size range.

The Fire FR 2.4 casing is 2.21 and the Diesel 2.5 is 2.23 (both with big aggressive wider treads) and these are among the highest volume casings in the size range.

Basically no knobby tire is the stated size. The casing, tread or both will be different.

I do not determine the size to put on the sidewall, I just report the real specs.
 

·
Samsonite Tester
Joined
·
3,993 Posts
Tioga yellow kirin is a fat 2.30 .
 

·
singlespeed smash brother
Joined
·
318 Posts
I've been using a maxxis highroller 2.5 single ply side wall and love it. It's not that heavy (probably around the 800g mark) it rolls fast and has good tall strong agressive side nobs for hard cornering. It rocks in hard pack, rocks and soft stuff and is quite a challenge to make it lose traction in corners. Another favorite of mine is the Michelin Hot S 2.5. Rolls really well, very durable and is great in wet muddy conditions because for some reason nothing sticks to the tread. Foldable kevlar bead saves some weight and is bright red.
 

·
Got Mojo?
Joined
·
1,190 Posts
Earthpig said:
I've run a Mutano on and off with a rigid front fork for about 2 - 3 years. First, it is NOT a 2.4. It's more like a high-volume and tall 2.1 or maybe 2.2. Second, it is very light - less than 600 grams (stated weight). Third - it's great for hardpack; not so great for soft soil - it has very short lugs. Fourth, it has thin sidewalls, so not great for rocky areas. Fifth - Very fast rolling and easy to spin up if you run it as a rear tire. I like it for a summertime tire for the hardpack and loose over hardpack around here - it seems to hit a traction sweet spot at around 30 psi. However, when I ran it at Barbie Camp in Central Oregon this fall, it didn't have nearly enough bite for the soft soil conditions.
After running a 2.4 (or whatever) Mutanoraptor for the past few years, I have gone back to a Maxxix/Larsen TT.

As decribed above, the Mutano is a very tall, fast and light tire. But it never really gave me confidence under hard cornering. It never went out, just never earned my confidence.

That is why I finally switched to the TT.

The side walls are thin, but running it three years in the Texas limestone, I have never cut one. But then again who slashes their front tire? (well, I know one dude that slashed both his Pythons on the same rock... but he is only one guy)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
BG is better

nogearshere said:
CHEEP CHEEP.
Kenda Kinetics 2.35. love them, even downgraded to wire bead for kicks, love them more.
I rode a front sticky Kinetics 2.3 until the sidewall started to grow a big lump and blew. Replaced it with a BG 2.35 DTC and it's much bigger, better, and lighter. Still not a bad tire if your not weight concious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
crawdad said:
I know this might have been a better question for the wheels and tires forum, but hey, it's going on my singlespeed right?!
Tomorrow I'll be throwing a rigid fork, a Pace RC31, on my singlespeed. To take "some" of the sting out of the rigid front end, I would like to get a larger volume front tire that's also relatively lightweight. I was thinking somewhere in the 2.3 to 2.4 range, maybe the WTB Mutano Raptor 2.4. How's this tire? And more to the point, are there any other tires I should be considering? Thanks in advance.
Klein Death Grip it comes in a 2.3 it hooks up great
also try oury grips to take some of the sting away
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,429 Posts
Havent read any of the other posts

But I put a specialized 2.2 adrenaline pro on the front of my single speed and that thing is HUGE and not to heavy. Hooks up awesome in all conditions except it sucks in mud. Its bigger the the WTB 2.4's I have seen and looks just about the same size as a IRC Trail Bear 2.5.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
Loki said:
But I put a specialized 2.2 adrenaline pro on the front of my single speed and that thing is HUGE and not to heavy. Hooks up awesome in all conditions except it sucks in mud. Its bigger the the WTB 2.4's I have seen and looks just about the same size as a IRC Trail Bear 2.5.
Yup. I have the 2.00 version. Great tire and very high volume.

FYI the name has been changed to "Resolution" for '06. Same design.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone!

I just wanted to thank all of you for your advice. Many great tires I could have gone with here. I ended up throwing a Kenda Nevegal DTC 2.35 on the front. Lots of good reviews, relatively lightweight, and not "too" big.

Kelley
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top