Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After testing full suspension bikes all weekend I am almost more confused then before :madman: . I liked them all. I have been looking to get one for under $2K.

Please give me your opinions and advice on anything you can; components, frame, brand, etc. you feel like commenting on. I need it!

• 08 Specialized Pitch Comp
  • 08 Giant Trance X2
  • 08 Santa Cruz Heckler
  • 08 Santa Cruz Superlight
  • 08 Iron Horse MKIII Comp (havent test rode yet)

I am 6'3" 170lbs and will be doing mostly weekend rides. Cross country and All mountain (no huge jumps or strictly downhill) Im looking for the best bang for the buck with the most reliable and best components I can afford...

Thanks again!

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input, the only thing with IBEX is that I havent been able to ride one...

As far as the other bikes go it seemed like the bikes with the up and down rear shock (pitch, giant) rode better than the higher up rear shock bikes (all santa cruz). The shifting on all seemed a lil slow though...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I test rode the Dawg Deluxe and it was nice, the XL size felt like a kids bike for me though, I think their sizing might be a lil smaller than average... So I didnt enjoy the ride as much as any of the others. :( I really wanted too.

I was suprised, after all Ive heard about Kona from friends and reviews. Just not for me I guess?

·
Premium Member
8,018 Posts
All the bikes you listed are great bikes. The only one I would hesitate about is the Iron Horse, as they have had past quality control issues. Ride all of them and pick the one that fits you best and feels the best to you.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm saving up at the moment and getting a bike in the same range probably next month. From what I've read I'm leaning toward the Trance X2. You could also look at the Mongoose Teocali elite or super. I haven't started test riding and wouldn't mind hearing what you thought about each bike.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Six3 said:
Yeah I test rode the Dawg Deluxe and it was nice, the XL size felt like a kids bike for me though, I think their sizing might be a lil smaller than average... So I didnt enjoy the ride as much as any of the others. :( I really wanted too.

I was suprised, after all Ive heard about Kona from friends and reviews. Just not for me I guess?
I think it's their Geometry, really great for some, not so for others. The Santa Cruz are sweet, I loved the Heckler when I tried it. I'm itching to try a Blur. I never really liked the Specializeds, most of my friends ride them back in GA.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NoobHill said:
I'm saving up at the moment and getting a bike in the same range probably next month. From what I've read I'm leaning toward the Trance X2. You could also look at the Mongoose Teocali elite or super. I haven't started test riding and wouldn't mind hearing what you thought about each bike.
The order in which I liked them... I think was:

1. Giant Trance X2 for its frame geometry, suspension and weight
  2. Specialized Pitch COMP for the same reasons as the X2
  3. Santa Cruz Heckler for its simplicity, sturdiness, braking
  4. Santa Cruz Superlight for its weight, overall feel and price.

I just rode a 2008 Trek EX7 and it was very nice as well. Better components than most of the above for the price. It was the wrong size so it didnt leave me with the same impression. But that could be fixed and might be the right bike for me...

I could still benefit from all your opinions out their though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright Im tossing out the MKIII, and the PITCH.

If you have experience with the HECKLER, SUPERLIGHT, X2, or EX7 please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok so I went into buy the bike today. Finally. After weeks of researching, test riding, and saving...

I finally chose the Giant Trance X2! But...

Its sold out and cant get anymore in my size (giants out) because new bikes are on their way in a few weeks. I dont want to wait for the new lines, I wanna get on the hills, but I dont want to miss out on the new line either.

This sux!

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
Six3 said:
Ok so I went into buy the bike today. Finally. After weeks of researching, test riding, and saving...

I finally chose the Giant Trance X2! But...

Its sold out and cant get anymore in my size (giants out) because new bikes are on their way in a few weeks. I dont want to wait for the new lines, I wanna get on the hills, but I dont want to miss out on the new line either.

This sux!
wait for the new bikes... in the mean time, ask your friends if you can borrow a bike...

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Best Spec'd Dual Suspension under $2000

The Motobecane Fantom Team is the best spec under $2000 sold new in the USA on a FS bike. Most the time I do not make statements like that; but in this case it is very clear.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom_team08.htm

We are normally sold out of this bike; but have a few left right now. They will sell out in about 10 days; then it will be Sept or so before we get more.

If you check the spec - you will see what I mean

·
Registered
785 Posts
^ mike is pretty much right with the best SPEC on a sub 2k bike....BUT, you have to ask what you're wanting the bike for....for around the same price as the moto, you can get a santa cruz heckler dXC or dAM (i'm not sure which one, not a whole lot of difference)....and it'll come with a little longer travel fork up front, when compared to the fantom team....yeah you loose some of the "high end" on the other stuff, but it's cool, b/c the heckler overall is a better ride....higher quality all around, and rides a lot better......

·
Registered
467 Posts
Have you checked out the Rocky Mountain Element? They are a really nice ride. A touch beefier frame then the upper level elements (no carbon in the frame)

Jenson has the Element 10 for under $1,200 (in store only)

That leaves enuf left over for a few upgrades - a set of really really nice custom wheels (hope hubs and ztr olmpic hoops would rock), carbon bars or a Fox Fork.

I seriously lack buyers guilt 6 mo and 500 miles later, how un-catholic of me.

(On your list I like the SC Superlight, 4 inches of travel is plenty with good tires and low pressure)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.