Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which dropper post do you guys like? I remember a thread that mentioned most post breaks down too soon and requires servicing alot.

Pulling from memory, it was gravity dropper that was deemed the most reliable. Have you guys find this to be true? Also, are the mechanical wire pull units better than the hydraulic ones? (Similar analogy, I love mechanical pull disc brakes much more than hydraulic ones for the same reason)

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've been on a Reverb for over a year now. The original hose got snagged while in the shop (go figure) and was broken. The new style replacement hose is much more durable. I'd recommend the post.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
its kinda like tires, tons of opinions on which is best.

I will say that you see alot less joplin/kronolog/commandpost/hilo/etc lately. I see gravity droppers and I see reverbs. Almost exclusively.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I hate my Specialized Command Post Blacklite. Every other bump I hit causes the saddle to tilt up. It seemed like I spent half of my MBTB Annadel and Boggs rides readjusting the saddle or *****ing about it.

I tried coating the parts with carbon fiber prep paste, which the people on the Specialized forum suggested, but that didn't work. Neither did torquing down hard on the bolt. I think the single-bolt clamp is just a poor design. I'm taking it back to the shop.

I'm the guy on the far left messing with his seatpost at MBTB.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
In my op. all of them will fail after a while...just too much action in that area of the bike. However, I have used 3 brands in the last 4-5 years.

Gravity Dropper: Owned about 4. Great service!!! But this one failed the most for me. Broke a couple (literally broke the seat post...this seat does not handle slack seat angles well) and it required lots of maintenance after the break in period. Service was FANTASTIC though so feel bad throwing them under the bus. Hands down best customer service out there.

Reverb. Have owned two and currently run 2 on two of my bikes. WAS unbelievably good for the first 3/4 year. Now they are so slow on the up/down take and have to bleed them all the time. When they fail on the trail...you are done...no road side fix here. REALLY good when they are working but they fail after some use.

KS: This came on my Mojo so wasn't very thrilled at first...BUT...this one is my favorite. Been absolutely bullit proof for about a year. It has failed twice on trail but when the cable goes, you can still manipulate up/down under seat. Pretty easy to work on and get going again. Also, lighter than the three. I have the one that has handle bar mount for dropping.

Anyhow...they are all good but if I had to buy again, I'd go KS. (I heard Crank Bros. new seat has been failing miserably...just heard it from some trail geeks this weekend so third party)

·
Registered
82 Posts
KS i950r. No problems, others I know with different posts have had probs but I have had it for over a year and it still works like new.
Hard to contact for CS though. Was checking on availability of a shorter travel post for a friend and never could get the phone answered

·
Registered
9 Posts
Specialized Command Post - love it when it works but
- As Zignzag said, the pivot mount for the seat is just silly. I was successful at getting the seat to stop moving by adding carbon fiber friction paste (after breaking a rail on my very expensive Selle SMP seat)
- The cable has to be set just right or the seat will drop unexpectedly or you won't be able to get it to pop up from the middle position. Seems easy but I needed to adjust it quite a few times and it is very difficult to access the cable clamp. The aforementioned seat needs to be pivoted out of the way. Also, the clamp for the cable tends to cut through the cable (I am on my second cable and it has a few broken wires already)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I have only been running my Joplin 4 for a couple of months, but it is great so far.

My friend has had his for a couple years and it has not given him a single problem. He hasn't even done any maintenance other than cleaning it after every ride.

·
Snowjnky McDreamy
2,560 Posts
The X Fusion drop post works well and has a great price point. Worth looking at.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm using a gravity dropper and works great. No issues at all. The only thing I wish they would change about it is the cable connection (which comes straight out from the bottom). It would be nice to have the cable come straight down like some of the newer designs. Either way, it works and is very reliable

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've had my Gravity Dropper for a couple years. It isn't maintenance free by any means, but I haven't experienced the failures that Squashyo had. That surprises me.

Even with my positive experience, I've got some minor complaints:
* There's a slight play to the saddle that I can't get rid of. You can't really feel it while riding, but it's there and it bugs me.
* The cable needed to be rerouted so it didn't come into the post as such a steep angle. Before I added a bent "conduit" the cable kinked. This seems like a design flaw that GD should've addressed.
* The middle position is my favorite but it's hard to find in the heat of the moment sometimes. I think my next plopper post will have infinite adjust instead of three set positions.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have been riding a CB Kronolog since Sea Otter (got hooked up) and I really like it. To give you some perspective I weigh in at 295, so I think it's safe to say that the Kronolog can take a serious load. So far I have no complaints. I also really like the fact that I can grab the seat when the post is down and not have it come back up.

·
Got Twins?
297 Posts
2 Gravity Dropper Turbo's here. I was at Annadel that day, bummer on having issues on a ride.
We solved the cable routing issue using a Jagwire "V" brake noodle that fits nicely into the post. I've swapped out the clamp inner post when I needed a longer drop. The guys at GD were great to deal with.
One of my friend's tried a GD from the shop mechanic, then bought a Reverb (2011 version). It failed and was replaced with a 2012 Reverb which worked. Sold it, then purchased a GD Turbo. Now it's on the new bike. I borrowed that same GD Classic for a weekend at MBO and was sold on it. GD has video's on how to work on the post too.

HTH,
L8

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
As others have said, GD is super reliable, easy to maintain, and customer service is killer.
I had the post break in half about 6 years ago, they have since redesigned it and now it's been going strong for a long time.
My only gripe about it is they need about an inch more exposed post than other brands due to the cable attachment design.
The seat clamp is a poor design, but can be replaced with a Thomson clamp, making the post even better.

I also have a KSi950r, which had a bunch of problems initially, but has been...nvm, don't want to jinx it. I'd get one again though, best lever on the market.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts