Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Trek 820, jett forks, nice oddesy peddals,newer shimano derailers, and new tires....

I also have a MongooseD70R jett c forks, nice oddesy peddals, and new tires, stock rear suspension as well.

Most of the riding that i do is fooling around places, like small jumps, like no more then 2-4 feet high, i like doing wheelies, and for distance rides i ride the roads and crushed rock bike trails, 70% jumping wheelies etc...20% paved roads, 10% trails.

Im going to be starting a little downhill.

Im 6 feet 2 in. 215 lbs

looking to sell one, which should i keep?...i like the trek, kuz its a trek....but i like the mongoose, cuz its getting good reviews, but neither has upset me, so its a hardtail vs full suspension, any help is greatly appretiated

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
How about this idea?

Take all of the new components (derailleurs, tires, etc) and your favorite pedals, wheelset and saddle and marry them to a new frame and fork that is more oriented towards urban type riding. Use the remaining components to make a complete bike using one of the two frames, sell it and the remaining parts.

OR

Do what BFL mentioned and just sell both bikes and buy something better suited for your needs. You really shouldn't be doing jumps or drops with that Jett. It's not made for that type of use, and at your weight, it just makes thinmgs worse.

Bob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i had thought about getting another frame , but i dont have that much time in my life right now where i can do that, if i were to sell one of my bikes it was just going to be to one of my buddies, i just wanted to know what would be the best frame for me that i already have....i will put my best parts on the frame i want to keep, so its between a 98 trek 820 and a mongoose D70 R....the suspension i havent had problems with yet, and i mihg tdown the road fix that.

thanks

·
I live to bike
2,450 Posts
as others have said, a different frame would probably work better. But if you can only have one of these two, I would keep the Mongoose and sell the Trek. The Trek 820 isn't even really a serious mountain bike--it's a comfort bike with mountain bike styling. On the other hand, the Mongoose is a Wal-mart bike, so sell it and keep the better, name brand bike, the Trek. eehh, don't know what to tell you. What I CAN tell you is that neither of these bikes will hold up to drops or downhill--the Trek 820 isn't designed for it, and the Mongoose isn't made well enough for it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i realised that the mongoose was obviously the lesser brand, but as far as i see, it is mid quality, has held up so far, the trek as well has held up so far but for trek its low quality. what it comes down to is should i use hardtail or full suspension for my type of riding?

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
You can use either type of bike for the purposes, just not a good idea to use either of the specific ones you've got for what you describe, especially at your size. If I had to pick a type of bike, it would be suspension as the shock should take up some of the extra abuse of the frame. I still think you're nuts, guess you must have good health insurance or something...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, at my local bike shop tere is a new diamondback responce 05 model for 339.00 US dollars, im liking that, here is a coil as well, but for 275 the full susp. bike must suck, there are also these used bikes for sale.Specialized Rockhopper
Size: 19 in
Color: Red
$165

Cannondale M800
Size: M
Color: Purple
$200

Bridgestone MB3
Size: L
Color: Red
$150

but i think im leaning twards the diamondback responce...what do u think?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.