Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought Avid BB7s for my bike. Front is fine. Rear caliper hits spokes when mounted directly to frame. Dback/Raleigh suggested checking sheldonbrown.com and am awaiting response from him. LBS couldn't solve the problem. I've been told that this is a 1999 frame and disc brake tabs weren't standardized then. What adapter/bracket do I need or isn't this possible to do? Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Take some rotor shims and put them between the rotor and the hub. This will space the rotor away from the hub. This will also bring the caliper away from the spokes when you recenter it. If the caliper's side to side adjustment is already maxed out, you may need to face the disc tabs. Or you can use an axle spacer on the non-drive side.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you mean "face the disc tabs?" Is that like grinding them thinner? Do they make spacers that I can use for mounting the caliper? Where do I get these spacers or should I just use washers?

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Facing removes materials and also makes the tabs perfectly square and parallel to the rotor plane.

Syntace makes real nice rotor spacers. You can also use regular washers as long as they are all the same thickness.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.