Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to replace my broken derailleur and purchase the same one which is the shimano lx rd-m580 below, but then i found he Shimano Saint RD-M800 on clearance, and wanted to know if the saint is singificantly better than the lx.

Also I saw that the saint has 3 differnt availbe options: long cage horiz, long cage vert., and mid cage horiz., what's the difference, and which would be appropriate for my bike ('07 Jamis Dakota Sport)?

vs.

·
Doctor
264 Posts
Lelandjt said:
Get a Shimano SLX short cage. It will bounce around less and doesn't stick out so if you drop your bike on the right side it won't bend. $44.
The short cage would be nice, if you can use it. Check the derailleur capacity specs first.

[big chainring - small chainring] + [biggest rear sprocket - smallest rear sprocket] = X

Derailleur capacity must be at least as large as X.

·
Registered
974 Posts
For all the new guys that havn't been around the bike block quite yet, you should only use long cage if you have three chainrings up front. Keep it simple, keep it safe. And I agree with the slx option. Anything less is asking for replacement.

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
I'd amend that by saying, "Only use a long cage if you have a 34T cog that you use with your big ring." I have no problem using short cages with 3 rings and not cross chaining.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.