Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there,
I'm a close to 200lbs aggressive trail/AM hartail rider and I'm looking for a new crankset because my FSA motoX is twisted (due to a crash). In priority my new cranset has to be stiff/strong and reliable (I don't want it to get loosen, worn,...), I don't really care about weight.
Raceface and Truvativ's systems are susceptible to becoming loosen (because of the one and only bolt to tighten) while Shimano has the most reliable system. FSA is in the middle.
It's why Shimano has my vote. But I don't know which one to choose between SLX, XT and Saint.
So the questions are : XT is the most popular but is it strong enough? SLX is a bit heavier than XT but is it also a bit stronger? Saint has the best stiff/weight ratio (200g heavier than XT but twice as stiff, like it's claimed by Shimano) but isn't it overkill (so a waist of cash)?
Is there any other options that I didn't consider?
Thanks for sharing only serious thoughts.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Im sitting at about 200lbs (lean) and have had no problems with my XT cranks, but for the minimal weight gain and supposedly enhanced stiffness (quick check on CRC has it stating its 100% stiffer) of the SLX i would probably plump for the SLX if for nothing else that they offer a lot better value for money and look better imho

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So it seems that SLX is stiffer than XT... I think I found what I was looking for. Thanks. Before I buy I've got another question. Does anybody knows about Blackspire cranksets (All Mountain 7075, Freeride 6066 saw on CRC)?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In fact Wyatt the SLX is stiffer in the double chainring config with bash which weights 999 g, 110g over the XT.
P.S. Sorry for the big mistake in the thread tittle. I forgot the "H" after the "W". How to put it back?

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
I'd go with SLX too. I'm close to 200lbs fully geared and I've had no problems riding through a lot of rocks and drops on my SLX tripple.
I'm always wondering who needs something like Saint. Seriously, how could someone break or bend something like SLX or XT, without breaking a leg or bending the frame of the bike.

·
ride more
2,626 Posts
The weight I was thinking of was 889g(31 oz) but that was the triple. I think the double/bash set up has the steel thread inserts for the pedals, and the triple is just tapped aluminium like on the XT. The XT triple is 853g(30 oz) and not available as a double/bash. The SLX [email protected] 999g(35 oz) is not really a direct comparison to the XT. Still 5 oz seems a small price too pay for the increase in stiffness and pedal inserts and bash. Now that I've thought about all this, I think I'm gonna get an SLX double for my Perp. sorry for all the oz conversions but I have a hard time thinking in grams, it seems to exaggerate the differences?

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have some time on a SLX double and have the SLX front der. as well. It is stiffer than the isis holzfellers i was running on my rfx and the combo shifts great. I weigh 200lbs geared up and after 9 months its holding up great.

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
SLX double. I have switched granny gear to 24t titanium cog and bashguard to a lighter duty BBG (this new light E-13 guard looks nice) - some weight savings and a better climbing gear range. Paired up with SLX double front derailleur I think this is the best AM setup around..

·
Registered
333 Posts
my slx double takes 240+ pounds with ease...just shy of 900mi this year and it is still strong...plus i still get compliments on the slx, looks good, works perfectly...SLX...!!!

·
Registered
697 Posts
I had the M760 [i think] XT's for almost three years until the pedal insert stripped out. They rocked and I take it the M770's are even better. But for the price, SLX is hard to beat. I have some XTR M970's now and they are super nice but I dont trust them as much. Maybe because they are lighter, i am not sure. Thinking about swapping them for some 810 Saint's just because my fat ass tends to me rough on parts.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Truvativ and raceface are fine, you just have to install them properly and check the tightness every so often, BUT! SLX is the shiznit, decently light, strong and stiff... it's a damn good crankset

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
edray said:
I had the M760 [i think] XT's for almost three years until the pedal insert stripped out. They rocked and I take it the M770's are even better. But for the price, SLX is hard to beat. I have some XTR M970's now and they are super nice but I dont trust them as much. Maybe because they are lighter, i am not sure. Thinking about swapping them for some 810 Saint's just because my fat ass tends to me rough on parts.
How did you strip the pedal insert? Was pedal on tight? Did you swap the pedal often?

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
I've been bashing FSA Afterburners on rocks for 3.5 years under my 200 lbs. No end in sight. I just change rings with the drive-train and repaint the crank arms black every year.

I hear what you mean about keeping adjustment. The FSA seem to need very slight tightening of slop every 4 to 6 months or so, it's not the BB. But it's super easy. Shimano has a similar looking bolt up design, maybe it's better somehow I don't know.

All the other designs appear harder to remove crank designs so I like these two designs. Shimano probably has easier shifting rings but FSA's aren't bad shifting.

·
Registered
217 Posts
SLX double with the double specific FD is the way to go. I'm 270 and I could feel the difference in stiffness between SLX Double and XT Triple. I think the SLX combo shifts better too. Saint might offer a little more stiffness, but if I can ride SLX at my weight, it will be more than enough for a light 200lber such as yourself.......and for the price it's an absolute bargain. Just buy the SLX and don't look back.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.