Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Feeding your addiction
2,645 Posts
xsport652 said:
are the xtr's really worth the extra money? and i've also heard about problems with sealing the xtr's.
In my opinion the XTR's are absolutely not worth the extra money. Even at equal price I'd take the Deus. The Deus are much less expensive and have better bearings, adjustable chainline, better finish, etc. XTR rings shift great when new but are very soft (fast wearing) and are ridiculously overpriced vs. the more common 64/104mm rings on the Deus. Personally I think the axle design is superior also.
Larry Mettler
http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com

·
-> SickLines.com <-
3,192 Posts
i'd probably go deus'.
Cheaper parts to replace. XTR rings cost 1 arm and half a leg.

Deus' are standard 64/104 i believe so you have options to replace easily if youbreak a tooth or just wear out a chainring.

it hasn't been out long enough to really judge the bottom bracket, but i'm sure its better than the xtr's life span according to their testing.

The xtr's are lighter initially, i asume with some tuning you could get the deus' about the same weight. Not to mention the deus' are going to be cheaper in the short term and the long term.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mixed results from my Deus crankset...

I bought my deus crankset for all the reasons listed above (price, weight, ring replacement, etc) and have been very impressed with the stiffness and shifting (better shifts than past RF and current XT). But the driveside bearing just blew out after less than one month! Not sure if it was an installation problem, or defect with the bearing, but hopefully my LBS will iron it out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
When peopled reviewed the new XTR and now XT they were reviewing the BB and not the cranks.Just go and read the reviews of all BB and most are bad including Raceface.On my second ride with the new XT I was caught in a HEAVY rain storm.If the seal was going to leak it would have done so then.I liked them so much I paid out the extra money and put XTR's on my hardtail.Be warned that if you haven't riden Raceface cranks they aren't half as smooth as Shimano.I couldn't get use to the rough pedal feel of Raceface cranks and took them off right away.Stop bashing Shimano. Japan is not a third world country.

·
Do It Yourself
5,718 Posts
Only the granny ring on XTR is compatable with other brands. XTR uses odd bolt chainring diameter rings, 146mm for the big and 102 for the middle ring. Everyone else (including lower Shitmano lines) uses 104mm for both the middle and big ring.

·
Feeding your addiction
2,645 Posts
Pahana said:
When peopled reviewed the new XTR and now XT they were reviewing the BB and not the cranks.Just go and read the reviews of all BB and most are bad including Raceface.On my second ride with the new XT I was caught in a HEAVY rain storm.If the seal was going to leak it would have done so then.I liked them so much I paid out the extra money and put XTR's on my hardtail.Be warned that if you haven't riden Raceface cranks they aren't half as smooth as Shimano.I couldn't get use to the rough pedal feel of Raceface cranks and took them off right away.Stop bashing Shimano. Japan is not a third world country.
Which RF ones did you have? Every pair of the new X-type ones I've gotten in have been every bit as smooth as Shimano.
Larry Mettler
http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com

·
I'm feeling dirty, you?
857 Posts
Homebrew said:
Only the granny ring on XTR is compatable with other brands. XTR uses odd bolt chainring diameter rings, 146mm for the big and 102 for the middle ring. Everyone else (including lower Shitmano lines) uses 104mm for both the middle and big ring.
Sucks, doesn't it?

·
Registered
806 Posts
xtr vs deus

I felt the need to weigh in here. I have been running the xtr 960 all last season and now this season. Absolutely 0 problems. Many epics and some endurance racing as well as training on the mtb 10 hours a week (in season) I wash my bike with water and have had no water incursion into the bearings. I wonder if the people getting water in the bb did not install correctly; perhaps not using the correct spacers and then cracking the inner sealing sleeve. BTW pinch bolts are bomber no reason to expect that RF's attatchment is better. AND the chainline of the XTR 960 adjust exactly the same as the RF deus. Note that if XTR bearings go bad they can be replaced with deus bearings-cups for less $ than XTR. Also no wear on the rings (yes I keep the drivetrain clean and replace the chain often, chain replacement is the key to long life of rings and cogs)
All this said XTR is expensive and the deus looks nice, but remember no-one has been riding the deus for long.

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Extralite OctaRamp Rings...

These are the lightest 104/34 BCD rimgs and shift as well as XT/XTR

Extralite OctaRamp 44T
Hyper accurate CNC, 8 shifting ramps.
104mm 4 bolt standard / 9 speed chains, black anodized. Ergal with machined sides and laser graphics.

44T - 65g / 32T - 30g / 22T - 15g

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DIRT BOY said:
These are the lightest 104/34 BCD rimgs and shift as well as XT/XTR

Extralite OctaRamp 44T
Hyper accurate CNC, 8 shifting ramps.
104mm 4 bolt standard / 9 speed chains, black anodized. Ergal with machined sides and laser graphics.

44T - 65g / 32T - 30g / 22T - 15g

do they last for a good amount of time?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.