Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I need to choose a commuter for NY area... What would you recommend for the weather conditions of NY (autumn, winter included)? Cyclocross? Roadbike??

Any particular model?

I have about $500 ($600 - maximum).. I am a bit worried about going second-hand, so I'd rather buy something new.. I really need the bike only for one year..

Thank you!

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Zzbog said:
Hello,

I need to choose a commuter for NY area... What would you recommend for the weather conditions of NY (autumn, winter included)? Cyclocross? Roadbike??

Any particular model?

I have about $500 ($600 - maximum).. I am a bit worried about going second-hand, so I'd rather buy something new.. I really need the bike only for one year..

Thank you!

Tour the garage sales find a bike with catridge bearings in the wheel and BB ride the **** out of it.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
NY area or NYC? As in are there hills?

If the biggest thing you'll have to climb is the Brooklyn Bridge, singlespeeds are pretty sweet. For a new geared bike, your budget will extend to an entry-level mountain bike or some of Kona's utility models.

·
weirdo
6,223 Posts
Besides flat/hilly, how far? How much do you have to carry? Do you plan to ride the whole way or split commute with some kind of mass transit?

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
If you ride in the snow and ice a cross bike can be pretty scary. I'd get a mountain bike with a rigid fork and fat tires for when the weather gets bad. Don't get a singlespeed either. You'll want gear options when it's windy and icy.
$600 won't get you anything great but buy the best bike you can and ride it into the ground.

·
No-Brakes Cougar
1,143 Posts
Yeah, definitely a MTB with fat tires. You could probably do fine with a single speed, but consider a flip-flop hub so you can switch over to fixed in icy conditions. You won't have to worry about the free-wheel freezing over (which it will) and you will probably have better control.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Yeah, frozen parts/derailleurs are never fun. You can kick the front to make it work and eventually the rear will thaw out but it sucks when nothing works. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts