Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have Chris King or Surly cogs on their SS? Wasn't sure if they have reviews for cogs but it seems CK offers stainless steel and Surly does not. There's a difference of $15! I want to make sure I got a GOOD cog for my Jabber. Any suggestions would help.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
mtbnachos said:
Anybody have Chris King or Surly cogs on their SS? Wasn't sure if they have reviews for cogs but it seems CK offers stainless steel and Surly does not. There's a difference of $15! I want to make sure I got a GOOD cog for my Jabber. Any suggestions would help.
I've used quite a few different brands on my SS and found that the CK stainless cogs are very good, the Endless alloy are good, and the Ti boone cogs are excellent, but expensive.

Overall, the CK are hard to beat.

R.

·
meh... whatever
5,306 Posts
jet9n8 said:
What is wrong with the aluminum CK cogs? Just ordered one accidentally..haha. I meant to get the stainless steel...oops. Are they really that bad?
its not that they are bad, per se, just mho. i have steel cogs that have been in use for years with untold thousands of miles on them and they are still going strong and are in great shape.

conversely, i typically destroy aluminum cogs fairly quickly. ymmv.

·
innate behaviour
116 Posts
Rainman said:
I've used quite a few different brands on my SS and found that the CK stainless cogs are very good, the Endless alloy are good, and the Ti boone cogs are excellent, but expensive.

Overall, the CK are hard to beat.

R.
Where can I find a Boone these days??

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
mtbnachos said:
All Surly cogs and chainrings are stainless.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does anyone live in soCAL? I've decided to get a CK cog but stuck on either the 18T or 20T. I dont think i have the legs yet for a 16T. Sounds like a complicated question but I need that "middle ground" cog to train on. Plus I dont have the budget for TWO King cogs!

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
mtbnachos said:
Nice GLG, are you running 16T or 18T?
That is a 20T. I have a 20T, 19T and 16T. My 18T cog is a Niner Cogalicious. No 17T in my repetoire.

Here is my 16T.

·
anyone else smell that?
2,314 Posts
where's the rest of your bb7 caliper, glg? or am i seeing things from an angle i'm not used to....

·
Registered
660 Posts
monogod said:
here

brett is cranking out cogs again and currently filling back orders but should have new stock within a week or two.
Thanks for the update. Gee, only been 18 months since I ordered a cog from Brett. Maybe if they returned emails I would order from them again. :D

·
meh... whatever
5,306 Posts
jlang002 said:
Thanks for the update. Gee, only been 18 months since I ordered a cog from Brett. Maybe if they returned emails I would order from them again. :D
im guessing you should be getting some sweetness in your mailbox soon... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Which Cog

I have been running a 19th Niner Alum Cog - for about 6months. Took about 3-4 months of active riding (3 times a week) for it to wear out... I just flipped it around and expect to get another 3-4months.....

However I am going to replace it with a Surly 19....becuase it wont wear out and is only 52 grams. I would recomend an entire surly chain ring and cog. - Can't Loose

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
jgsatl said:
where's the rest of your bb7 caliper, glg? or am i seeing things from an angle i'm not used to....
it's all there, that is the back side ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.