Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my dilemma,
I have tore both my ACL's in each knee and want clipless pedals. Its a mental fear to have my feet "locked in" the pedals that I need to over come. My knees are fine now, I still play soccer and whatever.

Currently, I have cheap pedals with toe clips on my bike now ('02 Gary Fisher HKEK that came with clipless, but they are lost). I'm looking to get a little more serious, shoes and pedals.

Anyone have any suggestions on pedal types, SPD or egg Beaters, shoes?

Thanks in advanced
scramble

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
scramble said:
Here's my dilemma,
I have tore both my ACL's in each knee and want clipless pedals. Its a mental fear to have my feet "locked in" the pedals that I need to over come. My knees are fine now, I still play soccer and whatever.

Currently, I have cheap pedals with toe clips on my bike now ('02 Gary Fisher HKEK that came with clipless, but they are lost). I'm looking to get a little more serious, shoes and pedals.

Anyone have any suggestions on pedal types, SPD or egg Beaters, shoes?

Thanks in advanced
scramble
I'd suggest pedals with a lot of free float and low / no tension to the float. Speedplay Frogs fit the bill well.

I've been using the Frogs for over 3 years and they work quite well. They have the largest amount of float of any pedal AND it's free float. There's no spring tension to overcome for release, either. Once you move your foot beyond the release angle.....you're out.

Those toe clips that you currently use are dangerous. I had my worst crash ever using them. I was going down a trail at a good clip when a root caught one of the toe clips. The bike immediately flipped and body slammed me into the ground. A bunch of bruises, 2 cracked ribs, and a whole lot of poison oak accompanied the crash. You're doing the right thing switching to clipless.

I also hear good things about Time pedals, except that it's not free float and you must overcome spring tension to release.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Blue Shorts said:
I'd suggest pedals with a lot of free float and low / no tension to the float. Speedplay Frogs fit the bill well.

I've been using the Frogs for over 3 years and they work quite well. They have the largest amount of float of any pedal AND it's free float. There's no spring tension to overcome for release, either. Once you move your foot beyond the release angle.....you're out.

Those toe clips that you currently use are dangerous. I had my worst crash ever using them. I was going down a trail at a good clip when a root caught one of the toe clips. The bike immediately flipped and body slammed me into the ground. A bunch of bruises, 2 cracked ribs, and a whole lot of poison oak accompanied the crash. You're doing the right thing switching to clipless.

I also hear good things about Time pedals, except that it's not free float and you must overcome spring tension to release.
If your knees are really, bad Frogs might be your only choice. Both Times and Eggs are have about 6 degree of free float, which is good nuff for most people (with bad knees). I've ridden both, Times on my mtn bike and Eggs on my road and they're both great pedals. Stay way from SPDs if have bad knees, they're a killer on the knees.

As for overcoming spring tension, it not that big of a deal. Unless you can't put any kind of pressure on your knees or ankles, I wouldn't even worrry about it.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
PowerGrips

get a pair of PowerGrips for around $20 and put them on your existing pedals. Last thing you need with 2 bum knees is falling over onto them because you got stuck in your clipless pedals. Which WILL happen to you, as it does sooner or later to every other clipless pedal user out there. If someone tells you otherwise, they're lying.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wraith said:
If your knees are really, bad Frogs might be your only choice. Both Times and Eggs are have about 6 degree of free float, which is good nuff for most people (with bad knees). I've ridden both, Times on my mtn bike and Eggs on my road and they're both great pedals. Stay way from SPDs if have bad knees, they're a killer on the knees.

As for overcoming spring tension, it not that big of a deal. Unless you can't put any kind of pressure on your knees or ankles, I wouldn't even worrry about it.
My knees aren't that bad, I can turn and twist with no problem. I'm confused to the degree of float...is that side to side or front? I'm really confused! :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
if you have ACL probs i wouldn't go with clippless. Even if you are an expert you can still fall and wrench a knee... I have clippless on my XC bike and have fallin and 99% of the time i'll get out but the couple of times i haven't and i have really strained stuff. It sounds like with your problem you'd be really gambling with pernimately screwing your knees up and not being able to ride at all.

·
Administrator
11,579 Posts
I reccomend that you might consider a high quality platform pedal like a DH or Slalom pedal. Combined with a light hiker or trail running shoe you will get fantastic grip and traction on the pedal and will never have any release problems. The only problem will be that they will be inferior on steep climbs where you have to pull up. That being said I use a pair on my road bike to commute and could keep up in all but an insane sprint when I caught up to riders on the road.

It really is a nice combination especially when you are going downhill or in slow technical sections.

You will also need to learn your bunny hops with out clipless but this is almost the same as the toeclip bunny hop so the transition will be easy.

Check out pedals by åtomic, truvåtiv, and wellgø (cheapest). Look for sealed bearings and replaceable traction pins and some sort of concave foot surface.

Otherwise IMO times, eggbeaters, or bebop/frogs are good choices, the first being minimal rotational float (6º) and the latter being frictionless large rotational float (>25º). Float being a measure that they will rotate around a central point in the cleat until they engage the release mechanism. Less float allows you to ride against the mechanism for stability and more float allows you total freedom in your pedalling range. Less float can be hard on your knees because you may tend to ride against the mechanism creating a nonfloat type situation and more float can be hard on your knees because you may spend considerable energy keeping your knees from flopping around and causing strain in your knees doind this.

Try as many options as you can until you find one that is good.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
I agree, you might try a pair of platform pedals for a while, unless you're set on being clipped in (power, efficiency etc).

FWIW I used Time ATACs and found they have tons of float (I don't think 6 degrees is correct, I've heard 20 deg), but seem to take a lot of effort to release (hurt like hell when riding with a sprained ankle).

·
Registered
301 Posts
fsrxc said:
I agree, you might try a pair of platform pedals for a while, unless you're set on being clipped in (power, efficiency etc).

FWIW I used Time ATACs and found they have tons of float (I don't think 6 degrees is correct, I've heard 20 deg), but seem to take a lot of effort to release (hurt like hell when riding with a sprained ankle).
ATACs have 6 degrees of free float, and release release angle of 14/17 degrees.

Over last year or so, some of the pedal manufacturers had started redefining float as the amount of free movement you have before engaging the retention mechanism. The angle in which you actually be became unclipped (which was the previous definition of float) was renamed the release angle. Now, not all manufactures (and bikers) have adapted the new terminology, but Time has.

·
Registered
301 Posts
scramble said:
My knees aren't that bad, I can turn and twist with no problem. I'm confused to the degree of float...is that side to side or front? I'm really confused! :)
Float is the the amount of free rotation you can do with your foot before you start to engage the release mechanism. The more float you have the more you knee came move around during the pedal stroke. So, for those of us with bad knee float is our friend.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
First off I think you're kind of a jerk for calling yourself a cripple when you aren't. There are lots of folks out there who are and would love to be in your position. That said you can K.M.A. :) Have a good day.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
fred? said:
First off I think you're kind of a jerk for calling yourself a cripple when you aren't. There are lots of folks out there who are and would love to be in your position. That said you can K.M.A. :) Have a good day.
With that being said, there are a lot of people out there that I'd like to be in their position. I have 2 bad knees and I'm half blind, but I do have a sense of humor, unlike most of the "PC America". Just smile and enjoy the ride you were put on, don't worry about what ride everyone else is on. Everyone is on a different ride.

I do apologize if I offended anyone, but how do you know I'm not a member of the popular LA gang, "Crips"?!?

Thanks to everyone for their input, I'm going to head out to the bike shop this weekend, I'm sorta favoring the frogs right now, I want to take advantage of the up pull and hill climb over standard pedals. Thanks again

·
Registered
121 Posts
yo fred i was looking at your profile and i noticed you are from maine... i ride on your favorite trail every summer when i go to my summer cottage in Hampton, NH. I"m from NY but i go there alot and ride. Also Fort Rock in Exter, NH is much better you should try that place its pretty good. I"m not a big XC guy anymore cuz DJing and Urban is way more fun but NH and Maine has got some half decent trails... maybe i'll see you up there in a few weeks... going up this friday the 13th. I bet you wanna punch me out so look for a kid that is really good on a black P2. later pops

fred³ said:

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
bulC said:
get a pair of PowerGrips for around $20 and put them on your existing pedals. Last thing you need with 2 bum knees is falling over onto them because you got stuck in your clipless pedals. Which WILL happen to you, as it does sooner or later to every other clipless pedal user out there. If someone tells you otherwise, they're lying.
Bull, just out of curiosity, are you "the cyclist formally known as CLUB"? Just wondering because I remember he really liked the powergrips too.

In all fairness, I have not tried them, so I won't knock em (even though I'm dying to :) )

I had a fully rebuilt ACL (as in tendon harvested from another area, bolted on and threaded through, NOT just a scoping and cleaning!) and I can say that my TIMEs work well for me. I don't have knee problems.

I am using SPD's on my road bike for now, and it is not really a problem, but I can tell the difference. To me, clipless is one of the best things you can do to improve your XC and General Trail riding performance. Other styles prefer using flats, but for me the clipless have been great.

BTW: If you are a CRIP, DON'T get the SPD's. That is the Blood's pedal, and they will shoot you if they see you using them on their turf..... :D

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
ACL =/clippless

Yea, I completely tore my acl and some of my cartiledge in my right knee, its just happens that my doctor is an avid mountain biker, lucky me. From personal experance and his advice you do not want to use clipless its actually worse for your knees. your in trouble if your shoes get stuck in the pedals or something like that. I prefer just using bmx pedals with good skateboarding shoes.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Lol! You bet I'd wanna punch you out??? Hehehe. Riiiight. I guess that's something a kid would figure, but I've neither the time nor energy to waste on something that accomplished nothing. Still if we see each other and you'd like me to oblige just ask. Maybe I'll be in the mood.

As for Fort Rock I've ridden it a number of times. Fun place to ride, but so is Massebessic, Bear Brook, Bradbury Mtn, Prides loop, Hinkley Park, Clifford Park, Portland, Behind my house, Across the street from my house, etc, etc, etc...

If you're so good you must be getting paid to ride eh?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts