Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found two popular chains which are sold for about 30$ each. one is the
Shimano LX CN-HG53 and the other is the SRAM PC-95. I have seen the shram chain come with a gold power link but other than that they seem like they are basically the same. Any thoughts?

·
Live Free or Ride!
604 Posts
What does the rest of your drivetrain consist of? SRAM or Shimano? I would start with that. I use a Shimano XTR 7701 which can be had for about $30 - $40 online and they are bombproof.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
XTR, totally

six foot sloth said:
I have found two popular chains which are sold for about 30$ each. one is the
Shimano LX CN-HG53 and the other is the SRAM PC-95. I have seen the shram chain come with a gold power link but other than that they seem like they are basically the same. Any thoughts?
In my experience, Shimano chains outlast SRAM like 2:1. That press-pin setup blows chunks, tho. On the plus side, you can use a SRAM Powerlink with an XTR 9 speed chain. :thumbsup: (8 speed does not work, however)

This is THE setup. I tell you what. Also, I use DuMonde Tech lube. XTR/Powerlink/DuMonde Tech = 700-800 miles on a chain for me before my chain checker hits the first wear mark, even in bad conditions like sand, rain, summer dry moondust and sandy rain rides.

*edit*

dang! When did XTR chains shoot up to $40?!? I've always paid $23 on perpetual sale at Performance bike. Shows you how long its been since I bought a chain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.