Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm knew to the clipless pedals scene and want to know which pedals would be best suited to the red and black runs at Glentress. I have yet to go to Glentress and am currently building a bike.

Do I get the:

Candy's (298g)
Acid's (394g)
Mallet's (564g)

Weight is important but so is comfort so I want to match them best for whatever I will require at Glentress.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I guess it depends how much you want to spend and how confident a rider you are. Mallets allow you to stand on the platform as good as a standard flat pedal but are nearly twice the weight almost of the candys. I really wanted the acid carbons but way too expensive for pedals so i fot Candy's and love em. I rode all the man made trails in Wales in Nov on them and found them surprisingly stable to stand on for those sketchy moments when you don't really want to be clipped in !

I hope that helps

ziegi

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Money isn't too much of a problem because I can get all of the pedals for approximately the same price.

You can get the Acid 1's for $85 (£43) and the Acid 2's for $150 from an ebay trader in China. He's called yan_kelly and has good feedback and the postage is very cheap. Plus you can pick up the Mallet's and the Candy SL's for about $60 from traders in the US. That's a significant reduction on UK prices.

So it's more of stability vs weight. I think the Acid's will be good enough stability wise so it's a matter of whether the Candy's will be. My friend has a pair of Candy C's he can lend me but without the cleats. So might get the Acid 1's and try both out using the cleats that I get. If the Candy's are sufficient then I'll just sell the Acids on ebay. I'm sure I wouldn't lose much considering they only cost about £46.50 including postage from China.

More advice would be welcome though.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Im not a fan of clipless myself, but have ridden Glentress and the other routes several times now. Id reccomend ones with a decent size platform, for moments when you'd really want to be unclipped. Some sections of the red and black at 'tress are pretty hairy to say the least.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I managed to barter the guy on ebay down for the Acid 2's. He sold them to me for $130 (£67) which includes postage. These pedals cost £150 in the UK so this was a great deal. I wanted the Acid's really because there isn't much of a weight difference but he didn't have black. It's strange that they only do the Acid 1's in black or camo. There can't be a great deal of bikers who bikes that will match the camo colour.

I also got a Cane Creek S8 headset for only £15 including postage from him. Not bad bargains.

Anyway, I feel a lot more confident now that I'll be putting on pedals with a platform rather than just traditional clipless.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.