Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently looking for a new rear cassette as mine is at the replace or injure myself point. Currently I have the stock Shimano HG-50 9spd. Would it be worth spending a few bucks more for an upgrade? I'm also interested in recommendations and reviews of what to stay away from.

·
Registered
20 Posts
whatever you do make sure you put a new chain on when you put on the cassette or you'll wear the new cassette faster than normal.

·
mbtr member
6,499 Posts
xt cassettes are the only ones to buy. Even if it's going on a walmart bike. the alu carrier shifts much better and is less likely to bend and slip under extreme loads. The sram equivalent (990) likes to hold your chain forever, but if its on sale, go for it.

·
wyrd bið ful ãræd
1,725 Posts
I guess if it is either SRAM or Shimano, it will be fine, but whether you need to upgrade depends on you ... does the weight matter? I think that is the only 'MAIN' difference ...

I still have my old cassette with me, on my HT, and it is neither at the XT/XTR or PG990 level and still shifts beautifully so will leave it alone ... but if this wears out, will I upgrade? ... yes ... to an XT ... why ... lighter and price within my budget ...

I have a PG990 on my FS bike and shifts just as well ...

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
I'd buy the Sram PG980 before the 990. Similar weight and quality, less cash outlay.

G

1 - 7 of 7 Posts