Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright so i'm building a new bike and i'm ordering a buttload of parts tonite. i'm going sram 8 speed for the drivetrain cause i'm sick of shimano and breaking chains but i have one question. should i get a 11-34 tooth cassette or a 11-28? i ride mostly urban and dj's and i can't remember the last time i used my lower gears. am i going to regret this? should i go for the 34 tooth?

·
Fartographer
1,847 Posts
Just Get 9 Speed

It was a pain in the ass when we had to switch to 9 speed. But I don't think there's any good reason not to use it now. But going with 8 speed you're going to be severly limiting your options. I'm running a sram 9 speed cassette and 9.0 rear derrailleur. But I keep thinking about getting an XTR cassette. They're great and still the lightest.

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
2,664 Posts
8 speed rules. I've got 9 speed xtr on my enduro and 8 speed x7 on my hardtail, i'm gonna switch my enduro to the x7 8 speed from my hard tail and go SS on that bike since I only ride it for street & dj's and stuff. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with the xtr derailleur and stuff though, maybe put it on my girlfriend's bike.

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
2,664 Posts
PLURPIMPIN said:
i'm NOT going 9 speed! NO WAY!! i'm sick of dealing with it and i'm also sick of shimano. plus i've already got a set of 8 speed x.7 shifters so i'm not changing my mind now
just get 11-34. they're there if you need 'em, and if you don't, don't shift, you've got the same number of gears, you're not gonna save any weight or anything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.