Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
College
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has good advice for a possible car rack for the Rip9. I have a 1 1/4 inch hitch on my car. I want something that will keep my bike secure, but not be too expensive. Sadly i think i can already predict what many of you are going to say and that if you want quality then i have to PAY, but if there are some of you out there with some good advice for me, please help me out. I was thinking maybe the hollywood Roadrunner rack. The problem is im not sure if the rack will fit or not.

Thanks

·
Got Twins?
297 Posts
We tried the Thule/Sportworks and...

it didn't work. It worked fine with a Kenda Klaw XT but didn't work with the Exiwolf's on Bontrager Mustangs. I was at Rack n Road with my front wheel trying to get it to work and it didn't. There wasn't enough dimples in the arm to click the tire down. Believe me, I tried a few different ways. Maybe mine was a fluke. Maybe with a wider rim, the tire will settle differently. We didn't do the Yakima because the racks don't adjust the space between the bikes like the Thule does. The Yakima rack was fine.

YMMV

·
College
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh hey while we're at it, is the aluminum surface on the rip9 treated or is it smooth. One of my friends frames were shotpeened or something and it had an awful gritty feeling and it kinda looks like the rip is like that unless the paint is just that spectacular.

·
moe.
371 Posts
I need a car...

b12yan88 said:
I was wondering if anyone has good advice for a possible car rack for the Rip9. I have a 1 1/4 inch hitch on my car. I want something that will keep my bike secure, but not be too expensive. Sadly i think i can already predict what many of you are going to say and that if you want quality then i have to PAY, but if there are some of you out there with some good advice for me, please help me out. I was thinking maybe the hollywood Roadrunner rack. The problem is im not sure if the rack will fit or not.

Thanks
just kidding.

Why not try the Yakima King pin 4 with a Yakima top tube. You can get the whole system shipped free w/out tax from rackattack.com.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Is the 1 1/4" receiver version solid enough to handle two bikes? I just bought a Hyundai Sonata and I did find a receiver I can have installed, but its only for the smaller hitch size. I really like the design of the Thule/Sportworks, just not sure if it will be secure enough.

Thanks!

KavuRider

·
Registered
756 Posts
The Yakima Top Tube will cause the wheels to be closer to the pavement/ground while transporting - beware of Dips in the road. The lower clearance would not be an issue on a Standard or Super-sized SUV. However, the clearance may be an issue on any other vehicle with a lower profile. Recommend testing the setup before purchasing.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
KavuRider said:
Is the 1 1/4" receiver version solid enough to handle two bikes? I just bought a Hyundai Sonata and I did find a receiver I can have installed, but its only for the smaller hitch size. I really like the design of the Thule/Sportworks, just not sure if it will be secure enough.

Thanks!

KavuRider
Yes. Very solid.

·
Registered
817 Posts
b12yan88 said:
oh hey while we're at it, is the aluminum surface on the rip9 treated or is it smooth. One of my friends frames were shotpeened or something and it had an awful gritty feeling and it kinda looks like the rip is like that unless the paint is just that spectacular.
it's anodized

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.