Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone!

i need help on choosing a mountain bike for my upcoming trip to nepal in 6 months. i am new to mountain biking so i was wondering if any of you can help me on choosing a cannondale mountain bike or a great frame that i can build my own bike. what are good all around bikes or frames from cannondale. i will use the bike to travel through nepal.

thanks

·
Registered
241 Posts
Q: Are there any Cannondale or even high end bike shops in Nepal? the reason I ask is because, if you have a parts failure (Rear air shock, air seal in fork etc) then you are going to be screwed! If I were travelling to a country like Nepal (which I imagine doesn't have many bike spares shops) I would take the bike with the least amount of technical parts required! and plenty of spares, lots of Sram chain links, a spare chain, several sets of brake pads, inner tubes, folding tyres, spare rear deraileur hanger, lube etc, then multi tools and cable ties etc for emergencies.

Keep it simple stupid (K.I.S.S) is the key to riding somewhere remote (not saying you are stupid, it is just a very true saying) A hardtail may not be as comfortable as a Full suss but it is much more reliable as there isn't a rear shock to screw up, a coil fork is also a good idea (slightly heavier yes, but more reliable) and the backpack space needed for an airshock pump can be used for more spares or food/ hydration!

I was going to say rim brakes would be better for reliability and parts availability (even the most basic of bike shops should carry rubber brake block spares) than those of hydraulic brakes, but the trade off may be very poor brakes after long descents or poor weather conditions so it really depends on what kind of riding you are going to be doing?

flat or Mild Cross country terrain= cable pull rim brake blocks

Anything other terrain= Hydraulic disc/ pads

Hope this helps?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Isn't a fully rigid usually the way to go for loaded touring? Maybe a suspenson seatpost? Are you familiar with the site crazy guy on a bike? That is an excellent site for researching loaded touring. I go there to read about peoples adventures. Live vicarously through them!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
230 Posts
i have to agree with all the above, keep things simple, despite rush and rize are capable machines of all that , shock problems may happen :madman: :madman: , i would go for something like :

http://gb.cannondale.com/bikes/09/ce/model-9FS4Z.html

and replaced the crankset for a XT or an SLX and the saddle for something more confy and adapted to you , and alot of replacing parts, like brake pads, derrailuer hanger , chain links , etc etc etc, and the rock shock tora will not let you down , heavy but proven for, to be relaible :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
I Love my Rize
830 Posts
Hardtail all the way and + 3 on everything everybody said. Not many LBS in Nepal I presume=keep it simple. As much as I would want my Rize out there I prolly wouldn't bring it due to potential problems that could arise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.