Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like we might have a few of us going in on a campground for the DV classic. We stayed at the Wild Plum last year near Sierra City, and it was pretty mellow. It was far enough from the town of Downieville to feel a little remote and detached from the whole thing.

Are there any that are better than others? Has everyone else made their reservations already?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Plum is pretty good

I have stayed there quite a few times for the race. Usually because it is the only place that still had a site.

If you are doing the XC and want to be closer to Sierra City I would stick w/ that one, or Union Flat (but it may be walk-in only) or Loganville.

If you don't mind being on the other side of town, Rocky Rest is a good one (site #6 is killer). Ramshorn is ok, but more mosquitos and farther from the Yuba.

You can always stay up top @ Pack Saddle as well. Very big campground where the "good times" crowd likes to stay. Close to the DH start but a ways from town.

All site are here:

http://www.yubaexpeditions.com/pages/downievillecamping.html

Reservation info is here:

http://www.recreation.gov/camping/U...?contractCode=NRSO&siteId=148961&parkId=75424

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I usually stay at Union Flat and bike up Forest Road 93 to near Packer Saddle--it comes in where bikers eschewing Sunshine go down the paved road and make the right on their way to Butcher Ranch. FR93 is right across the street from the Union Flat campground, which is a few miles outside of Downieville but before you get to Sierra City.

I have also stayed at Gold Lake 4X4 campground, which offer awesome lakefront sites if you can score one (they're first-come, first-served). From Gold Lake you can take FR93-3 and 93-34 up to Summit Lake, then hang a right at the ridge. That takes you all the way to Big Boulder Trail, which connects to Third Divide.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.