Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have developed a new taste for endurance. Am contemplating a brake upgrade as got rather sore hands in my first 8hr (am sure technique has something to do with it and possibly geometry as well), but really thinking about brakes right now).

Have two options (both second hand) - please no advice about whether to go new or second hand.

Current setup: Cannondale generic v-brakes on Jekyll 400 2004.

Option 1: Hayes HFX9 carbon on existing heavy wheels (Cannondale Fire hub, Mavic XM117? rim)

Option 2: Shimano XTR v-brakes on Mavic Crossmax SL wheelset.

I am a lightweight (65kg) conservative rider and live in a low-low rainfall area.

The Jekyll is not the ideal endurance bike I know, but I am not in the market for a new one.

Any advice greatly received.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
My $0.02...

ll I can say is that my main race bike has Juciy 7 carbons (disc) and my back-up race bike/trainer has XTR Vs..

Over longer courses that have a lot of braking, I really appreciate the less effort it takes with hydraulic discs. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So there is a big difference in the breaking effort, even with good quality v brakes?

What about the weight trade off with the lighter wheels? I imagine I would be loosing half a kilo, at least.

·
3,049 Posts
I live in the desert SW, and used to be a committed v-brake fan. The difference with discs (bb7s w/ 160 rotors vs Arch Rivals) has been enormous. I can't imagine using rim brakes on a mtn bike ever again.

·
Registered
594 Posts
V-brakes

With ceramic coated rims and XTR V-brakes I can't imagine that the difference in braking effort would offset the extra effort required to drag the extra pound of weight up the hills. Usually courses with long down hills have long climbs too. My estimate is that during the course of typical race (or a typicla XC ride for that matter) you spend at least 10 minutes climbing for every one minute you spend with your brakes on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.