Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have decided that i don't really need the avid juicy 7's anymore and am looking for a brake that i can lock up EASY!

i don't care about modulation.... i just wanna lock it up. so it has to be powerful, i'm not running one in the front.

i was thinking:
hayes mag (not up there.... everyone has one, but i know that doesn't matter)
Shimano Saint (if i can get a 6 bolt rotor and in 160mm.)
Shimano XT (other option depending on availability on saints)
Magura Louise? Marta?
Avid mech road w/ bmx lever?

so far the avid road is the top contender followed by the saints.... those are fukkin' 'spensive tho.

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
if i could have afford juicy 7's i would have got them. instead i went with mags. once i get my mags get back from getting warrantied then ill finally know if there as good as people say they are. you are correct though juicy 7's are very expensive. even the non carbon fiber juicys are rediculous. ill have to wait a couple years for the price of those to go down haha

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
If all you want is lock up power, you already own the brakes.

There is no stronger, zero modulation brake made right now that rivals avid hydros.........IF you get them bled correctly.

If you want a brake that is about as strong but actually does have some modulation, get shimanos. I just switched all my bikes to shimano brakes.

And I want some royalties for your avatar.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
austinb89 said:
if i could have afford juicy 7's i would have got them. instead i went with mags. once i get my mags get back from getting warrantied then ill finally know if there as good as people say they are. you are correct though juicy 7's are very expensive. even the non carbon fiber juicys are rediculous. ill have to wait a couple years for the price of those to go down haha
sell you mine cheap.... jsut missing one part.

and if i go w/ the avid mechs, mos def on the linear cable.

i might go w/ juicy 5's just cuz the color and that the red know if f///ing annoying.

we'll see.

·
Just Ride
1,015 Posts
get the saints, at cost they're a significant amount cheaper then avids. and have better modulation. make sure you use one resin and one metalic pad though.

if not saints go for the avid mechanicals, they're awesome and cheap too.

but yeah as mentioned before, you definlty want a brake with good modulation on a street bike....

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
zerossix said:
get the saints, at cost they're a significant amount cheaper then avids. and have better modulation. make sure you use one resin and one metalic pad though.

if not saints go for the avid mechanicals, they're awesome and cheap too.

but yeah as mentioned before, you definlty want a brake with good modulation on a street bike....
i said i didn't need it.... :confused:

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
kidwoo said:
If all you want is lock up power, you already own the brakes.

There is no stronger, zero modulation brake made right now that rivals avid hydros.........IF you get them bled correctly.
If you want a brake that is about as strong but actually does have some modulation, get shimanos. I just switched all my bikes to shimano brakes.
And I want some royalties for your avatar.
yep you don't have them set up right and in addition why would you want to lock up brakes??? you don't have the best stopping when you skid

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
No modulation means the your brakes are either disengaged or locked up, this is not good for any kind of riding.

Poor modulation means the power increses inconsistently over the length of the lever pull. You can get used to the feel of your bad modulation but smooth modulation is always better.

Good modulation does not mean less power. My Hope M4s have more power than I'll ever need, even for DH but they modulate so well. Most brakes are at reasonably modular and poor modulation is often a symptom of poorly set up brake (unfaced mounts, calipers not centered on rotor, caliper skewed, squirrel jammed in caliper).

If you say you want no modulation, you are pretty daft.
If you say you preffer poor modulation you are ghetto.
If you say you don't need smooth modulation then that one thing.
But everyone wants modulation, and power.
lock up isn't about modulation, thats to do with power. Just make sure whatever you get is set up properly.

For a street bike I root for Avid mech, but I put hope minis on my Sinister DNA because I love hydros and I love Hopes. But I heard good things about all kinds of brakes and I don't suck on Hopes balls.

·
493 Posts
Not sure why you'd change from the Juicy 7's, but if you do I'd jump on the Avid Mech bandwagon. Trials riders recomend Avid Mechs, so you know they can lock up like the dickens if you set them up right. It's what I'm aiming for on the Azonic Steelhead I'm building this winter.

The ultimate in locking up is most likely a Magura HS-33 on ground rims, but I don't know if you're interested in that sort of thing. I'd do it if I didn't already have disc-specific wheels.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BikeMk said:
Not sure why you'd change from the Juicy 7's, but if you do I'd jump on the Avid Mech bandwagon. Trials riders recomend Avid Mechs, so you know they can lock up like the dickens if you set them up right. It's what I'm aiming for on the Azonic Steelhead I'm building this winter.

The ultimate in locking up is most likely a Magura HS-33 on ground rims, but I don't know if you're interested in that sort of thing. I'd do it if I didn't already have disc-specific wheels.
same,, fo sho, but i am getting some mtx rims and i on't have v mounts on my new frame.

i might not get rid of them, but if i decide too, i wanna see my options.

·
≈ > ♥
956 Posts
If you're looking for a trials brake, go with the newer Hope mono mini trials version.

Basically same as the mono mini, but they enlarged the piston diameters for less modulation and more of an on/off feel.

Prettymuch useless for anything other than trials.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.