Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys the brakes on my road bike barely work at all and it is time for me to get some new ones. I would like to keep my brake levers and shifters if possible, and only change the caliper set.

Does anyone know know which brakes would fit with the levers I have? I bought this road bike off of Craigslist so I don't know the exact components but here are some pictures.

I was thinking of getting the Avid Single Digit 7, does anyone know if those would work with my brake levers?

I don't want to spend more than $300 I use this bike for commuting and not going off road mainly, any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was trying to repair these brakes a while back and accidentally broke them by losing one of the parts.

·
Plays with tools
4,650 Posts
it looks like you have the mini V style brakes which are awesome for use with road levers on cross bikes. However they are meant to work on the cable pull of a cant lever not a V and this is what is likely causing your problem. Avid single digit series brakes were my favorites in the days of rim brakes, I wouldn't get the 7's for a craigslist clunker though.

A lot of the Shimano brake levers had adjustable cable pull built into them. Might be worth playing with the shims in there to see if that helps your problem out.

·
Registered
658 Posts
The shoes may have hardened up a bit at the breaking suface. When the rubber gets hard it won't bite the rim. A fresh set of shoes won't cost $30 let alone $300!
Also make sure the angle of the shoes mate with the rims. You might also want all the parts to the system!

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
New brakes are in order then, your brake levers are for V/linear-brakes. Your current setup is not an ideal brake combo(as customfab astutely noted). Grab some tektro, shimano deore/lx or SD 5/7 brakes, whatever is best bang for the buck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.