Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I would go code 5, they're probably the cheapest 4 pots you can buy... but again HFX9s are pretty much the cheapest (reputable brand) hydros you can buy. Your bike though, I'd go code unless you're on a budget.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I have Code 5's. I have Hayes 9's. I have an Elixir R front. Code 5's are much more powerful than H9's and provide decent modulation. I will say that the Codes are much more finicky to bleed than the 9's.
Air just seems to like to hide in the Avid's.
I bled my Code's twice last week. I was very, very, meticulous about the bleed process the first time but more air kept migrating to the lever. I smacked the caliper with a rubber mallet. I flicked the hose in multiple places to help the air migrate up. I finally devised a bleed procedure myself that seems to have gotten all the air out of the system.
My Hayes 9's are so simple to bleed and I have never had to go through so much effort to get air out of the system.
Interestingly, the same issue happened to my brand new Elixir R. After hanging by the front wheel for a couple days, The Elixir lever just pulled right to the bar. Guess what? Tons of air in the factory bled system.
So the Code 5's are a great value. But it's crucial that they are bled properly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts