Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am an entry level rider looking into three different bikes. I had originally decided on a Giant, but after some research discovered bikesdirect. My question is do any of you have any opinions or experience with any of these three? Is Motobecane not as good as it sounds?
1. Giant Revel 2 Revel 2 (2014) | Giant Bicycles | United States
2. Motobecane 550HT
Save up to 60% off Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane 550HT
3. Motobecane 427HT Save Up to 60% Off 27.5 / 650B Mountain Bikes Up to 60% Off - MTB - Motobecane 329HT

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
All 3 are relative the same because of the Suntour Forks but I'm really digging that 27.5 - I currently have the 450HT (Orange) and I'm happy with it but ready to upgrade to a much better bike in a couple of months.

These bikes of course are much better than a Walmart mickey mouse Mongoose :)) Good luck!

·
DFMBA.org
1,874 Posts
What.is.your.budget? Where.do.you.plan.to.ride? Terrain? None of these bikes may be right for you or your planned riding environment.

Sent from the trails.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
The online bike make it look like you are getting a deal, what they don't tell you is where they save money for themselves. They might use cheeper rims ,bottom brackets , eight or nine speed .old style frames. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I recently bought a comparable Windsor Cliff 4900 from BD. If you are entry level, keep in mind the assembly and tuning required out of the box. You'll also want to immediately upgrade some of the parts, such as the pedals and tires, so factor that into your price.

You should decide if you want to buy a 27.5 or 26, the size differences are much more noticeable than any difference in the components of the models you listed.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
My friend has the same Windsor. It was his first real bike. Be wanted to do some trails with me so he borrowed my buddy's bike and we got back and he ordered it. Nice bike for the money. New tires were on it before we even put it together.. The pedals too. He's really happy with it. Don't think in terms of best bike for the buck, think of what you need the bike to do. I mean if I got a really good deal on a dh bike, i probably wouldn't even want to ride it no matter how much bike it was.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ride on trails primarily. My budget is the same as the prices on the prices on the bikes listed, between $400 and $500. I know this isn't much and really limits my selection, but that's the one thing I cant be that lenient on. I had originally made up my mind on the giant but my LBS didn't have any in stock so I began to do more research. I would really like a 27.5 more than a 26, but I do not mind a 26. I don't really care for a 29. Also, as far assembling a bike, that I can do. So do any of the three stand out among the others? Are the Moto's better than the giant at the same price?

·
DFMBA.org
1,874 Posts
I'd get the 27.5 if I had to pick one.

Sent from the trails.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I would go with the 500ht or something along those lines. The giant has pretty low quality gear bolted to it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
10 Posts
yes....2013 Motobecane 550HT specifications and components. See reviews and compare side-by-side to other 26 inch Hardtail mountain bikes.

Ive looked at craigslist, LBS, and BD/other online stores. For my size, over 6'2", it is too challenging to find used bikes in my area.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts