Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get back into biking but havent owned one in years. Ive been looking on craigslist but after doing research, I think im better off buying an ibex for slightly more.
I live on long island, ny and most of the riding would be on sidewalks and park trails. I dont see myself doing any log jumping or anything like that but I will ride on the dirt. I was thinking of getting a hard tail and came across the B-27 which looked ideal, but unfortunately its not available for purchase at this time.
I looked at the trophy comp x7 and alp 550/650 models and am having a hard time deciding which is better suited for me. The trophy is about the most I would be willing to spend on a bike. So, which of these models is best for mostly street riding with some light trailes mixed in? Im weighing 235-240 now and am almost 6' (yes, im out of shape).
Also what size? I did the ibex book test and came up with 32 for the inseam measurement from the book spine. Dress pants are a size 30" inseam so I guess that measurement is about right. Would an 18" in the trophy and a 20" in the alp be the right size? I read the ibex site and cant figure it out.

thanks for your assistance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Umm.... I'm not sure if this would work at all but you could try a cyclocross bike? But I'm buying an Alpine 650 for mountain biking and depending on what your needs are I'm sure it'd work very well for you though it wouldn't be that quick compared to a road bike. That's kind of irrelevant since you're going off road sometimes so just wait for more experienced people to put their input in as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,878 Posts
Being 6' tall you'd probably want the 20" Trophy frame, if you go for the Alpine get the 19". For the type of riding you said you'd be doing the Alpine would be just fine, the Trophy is more racing oriented. The Alpine 650 is probably the best compromise between performance and value. I dont really like the brakes on the Alpine 550, the bb-5's are much better brakes than the hayes mechanicals that come on the 550.

just use the tires that come on the bike. if you ride on the street a lot you might want to pick up some cheap semi-slick tires.
 

·
Freshly Fujified
Joined
·
8,199 Posts
Get the Trophy

The Trophy Comp X.7 is at a phenomenal price right now. It's normally $869 and is a very good deal at that price. To get one for $700 is just outstanding. There's really not a component on that bike that needs upgrading, and the fork is great for a rider your weight. As for the tires, I would agree that you should probably just leave the stock tires on if you intend to take it off road. If you find the stock tires have too much rolling resistance for the street, then look at sommething else, but know you will scrifice in off road performance. As for sizing, don't guess, don't ask for opinions here. Pick up the phone and call the Ibex 800 number. Jack does a phenomenal job of helping to size the bike.

Bob
 

·
Cuánto pesa?
Joined
·
7,823 Posts
The more you spend the more you get............

Olive Drab said:
I looked at the trophy comp x7 and alp 550/650 models and am having a hard time deciding which is better suited for me. The trophy is about the most I would be willing to spend on a bike. So, which of these models is best for mostly street riding with some light trailes mixed in? Im weighing 235-240 now and am almost 6' (yes, im out of shape).
Also what size? I did the ibex book test and came up with 32 for the inseam measurement from the book spine. Dress pants are a size 30" inseam so I guess that measurement is about right. Would an 18" in the trophy and a 20" in the alp be the right size? I read the ibex site and cant figure it out.
thanks for your assistance.
Olive Drab,
If your up to spending the money for the 07' Trophy Comp X7 then that IMO is the way to go. The bike is loaded with an awesome drivetrain and braking system that will be there for you as you get more into the sport. Should you decide on a weekend out in the country from time to time, the TC-X7 wont let you down for the lack of the right stuff.

And a good set of semi slicks will take care of your tire option. The Kenda Kozmik Lite ll are a fantastic choice for road and XC trail riding (click>) Kozmik's. Fast rolling and still grips in the curves. These are the tires I personally use for XC hardpack :thumbsup:

Nothing wrong with the ALP series bikes, I own one. I also have an 07' Trophy frameset that I built from the ground up, the quick response and agility of the frame is the answer for a more controlled ride in and on the city sidewalk world your talking about riding..

This is my personal view from what I gathered in your post. So let others chime in but the sale wont last forever...:cool:

Happy shopping :D

Jake :ihih:

EDIT: Like the others said, wear out the tires that come on the bike.......................:yesnod:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,857 Posts
Olive Drab said:
I want to get back into biking but havent owned one in years. Ive been looking on craigslist but after doing research, I think im better off buying an ibex for slightly more.
Just wanted to say I'm in the same situation. Craigslist aruond here will only save me $150 at most compared to Ibex. And Used bikes like that may have XT deraillers and stuff, but their forks are so oold. With shock boots and what not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was going to wait until the morning but decided to get the order done. 18" trophy comp x7, shock pump and spare derailleur hanger. Hopefully I can ride this next weekend on the trails behind my college.
 

·
Freshly Fujified
Joined
·
8,199 Posts
Nice choice

And very good call on picking up an extra derailleur hanger. It's like insurance. Carry it in your Camelbak and I guarantee you'll never need it!
 

·
I win.
Joined
·
713 Posts
Olive Drab said:
I was going to wait until the morning but decided to get the order done. 18" trophy comp x7, shock pump and spare derailleur hanger. Hopefully I can ride this next weekend on the trails behind my college.
Congrats on the purchase man. You'll have your tracking number by tomorrow and your bike in a few days depending on where you live. Like I mentioned earlier I got mine in less than 36 hrs.

Well todays going to be my first day riding my trophy to class. I don't think I've ever wanted to go to class so bad. I don't have anything till 10:10 but I'm tempted to ride around campus for an hour just for the hell of being on the bike.
Trust me you're gonna love this thing.

Another good idea for those of us who are going to be commuting on our bikes, check with your local police office to see if you can register your bike with them. They give you a little sticker with a serial number on it and in some cases even put a number into your frame with a dremel (not gonna happen on this bike :nono: ) so if it ever does get taken they could track it back to you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that was quick. I ordered friday early morning and it arrived this afternoon. I didnt even know it shipped. Im going to put it together tomorrow evening and try to take it out this weekend weather permitting.
 

·
Cuánto pesa?
Joined
·
7,823 Posts
Welcome to the Clam................

Olive Drab said:
that was quick. I ordered friday early morning and it arrived this afternoon. I didnt even know it shipped. Im going to put it together tomorrow evening and try to take it out this weekend weather permitting.
That was fast..Seems like yesterday you pulled the trigger and BANG..Congratulations Bro :thumbsup:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:ihih:>>Jake
 

·
I win.
Joined
·
713 Posts
Olive Drab said:
that was quick. I ordered friday early morning and it arrived this afternoon. I didnt even know it shipped. Im going to put it together tomorrow evening and try to take it out this weekend weather permitting.
Yeah, shipping is prompt and from what I could tell the box wasn't abused.

Now time to put that thing together. Let us know how you like it!
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top