Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
one sick puppy
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping to head to Colorado in a couple of weeks and do some riding around Fruita,(18 mile, Kokopelli), Cortez(Phil's World Boggy Draw), and Salida(Cottonwood & such). I have an older Transition Bandit with a 140 fork in front/ 130 travel rear and a 1 year old aluminum Santa Cruz Tallboy with 130 fork/ 110 travel rear. I was wondering if you folks could give me some opinions on which bike to take. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
506 Posts
The places you’ve mentioned are all relatively flatter areas and are mostly pedal heavy besides cottonwood unless you plan on climbing(I happen to be shuttling it today). Bring your most comfortable pedal friendly rig as suspension travel wouldn’t be an issue on any of the above trail systems.

The upper trails on S mountain in Salida ( Pauli, hooligan, uncle nasty,) have very technical features if you’re looking for more challenging terrain.

·
Registered
9,481 Posts
The places you've mentioned are all relatively flatter areas and are mostly pedal heavy besides cottonwood unless you plan on climbing(I happen to be shuttling it today). Bring your most comfortable pedal friendly rig as suspension travel wouldn't be an issue on any of the above trail systems.

The upper trails on S mountain in Salida ( Pauli, hooligan, uncle nasty,) have very technical features if you're looking for more challenging terrain.
Is the snow gone on those trails in Salida?

·
Awesomist™
2,951 Posts
Which bike? ... Thanks in advance.
The red one.

Still plenty of snow up high so no Crest for a while, but Buena and S-Mt including cottonwood are g2g. Lower sections of the CT by Browns creek looked dry but didn't ride over there so can't verify.
Can confirm S-Mountain including Cottonwood are completely dry. I skied Shavano a couple days ago, and the snowline was several hundred to a thousand or so feet above the CT at that point. Camped out near the bottom of Brown's creek a week and a half ago, and it was similarly dry at the elevation of the CT there.

·
one sick puppy
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
YetiBear used to own a 575 but can't really afford a new one. Prices have gone up faster than my budget has. And I would change my name if it was a little easier process. I'm guessing I'll take the Tallboy after I paint it red. Good point on the RED. Thanks for all the input guys. Look for me in a couple weeks riding a hastily painted red camo-ed out Tallboy. Should be easy to spot. Maybe I better bring some skis as well. CRAZY weather.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.