Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone and thank you very much for your help.

I'm currently looking to purchase a mountain and I'm currently thinking to look for used bikes.

I'm currently having a Rocky Mountain Oxygen Race.

I really like it but I would like to change to get a full suspension and disk brakes.

After some search on the internet here's the used bikes that I'm interested in:
- 2012 Devinci atlas carbon 29" (1900$ CAD)
- 2013 Cannondale Scalpel 29er 3 (1800$ CAD)
- 2011 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (1750$ CAD)
- 2009 Specialized Epic Marathon Carbon (1250$ CAD)

Thanks again for you help
Have a nice day

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
You'd be better off with a new hardtail, even a cheap one, than any of those bikes. In the time since those were made, geometry has changed tremendously, virtually all relevant standards have changed, and the parts for those bikes are not really available new at all anymore. None of the bikes mentioned are worth more than $6-800. With the budget you have, go to the store and look at the Salsa Timberjack that is on sale in the $1200 range, the Trek Roscoe, or even the Diamondback Synch'r online. All of these bikes will have 1x11 drivetrains, hydraulic disc brakes, air forks, boost spacing, tapered steerers, tubeless ready wheels, and all but the latter, a dropper seatpost. Even if you got the bikes mentioned for free, you couldn't get the relevant features mentioned in the preceding sentence onto them for what these new hardtails cost complete.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a budget and sticking to it. But if you have a hardtail budget, get a hardtail! I love riding mine and I have all kinds of mountain bikes. Don't sell the hardtail short; there isn't any trail on earth that I'd be willing to ride a FS trail bike on that I wouldn't ride my hardtail on just the same.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would definitely go for a new or slightly used hardtail for that kind of money. Anything that old you will just end up upgrading and wasting money that could have been spent on a more modern and better specd bike.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Beware of older Specialized...many components are made 'special' for those bikes and are not available on open market for standard replacements. I have a buddy who has a 2011 FSR Comp...nice bike but he learned the hard way regarding the Fox rear shock and the Mavic wheelset. Specialized is of no help either...the shops are 'serial number' driven vs helping you figure out alternatives that will work. All they do is look it up and say 'sorry...that is no longer available through Specialized'. He also scoured the internet and called Fox and Mavic directly. Everyone told him it's a 'special' model made specifically for that bike so you need to get it through Specialized.

Not familiar with the Cannondale or Devinci regarding similar issues. I'm sure these are all nice bikes but spending that much $$ on something you may not be able to get parts for is a crapshoot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.