Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need your help and opinion. I am going to buy either bike for my fiance for christmas, and I need some input on which one is better. I know they spec out close and was wondering which one has the better suspesion geometry. She's 5'5 and 125 Thanks

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
821 Posts
moto450 said:
I need your help and opinion. I am going to buy either bike for my fiance for christmas, and I need some input on which one is better. I know they spec out close and was wondering which one has the better suspesion geometry. She's 5'5 and 125 Thanks
Buy her the Safire Elite. If it she doesn't like it I'll be glad to take it off your hands. :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
+1 on formica's suggestion. bike fit is sooo personal, regardless of spec (which can always be changed over time w/parts swapped out anyhow) or suspension geometry. it's not as fun to put under the tree, but at least that way you know she'll end up with the right bike.

·
The Martian
1,200 Posts
moto450 said:

The one she likes better. Let her ride them both and pick; better yet take Formica's suggestion and get her a gift certificate then let her ride anything in the store and pick. Even better yet, make her a homemade gift certificate because then it's good for any bike shop within a driving radius and she can try whatever she wants :winker: :thumbsup:

They are both fine bikes. Just for reference of what might happen: even though I know it's a nice bike with nice components and good reviews I would not touch a Safire with a ten foot pole. I just don't like it and have no desire to ride it and there is really no logical reason behind it. That's not a vote against the Safire since as I said it's totally illogical, just an example of how we women folk (well maybe it's just me! :eek: ) can be about bikes and other things.

Best to let her choose.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Bad advice, but what I would do: Buy her the Fuel EX8 in a Small (as long as it's an '08 or '09).

The 21.8" effective top tube length is likely in the ideal range for someone her height (unless she has ridiculously abnormal torso/arm/or leg proportions). You, your fiance, or the bike shop can get the fit perfectly dialed-in once she has the bike by adjusting the stem length, stem rise, handlebar width, handlebar angle, handlebar height, grips, brake and shifter position and angle, saddle height, saddle fore/aft, saddle angle, cleat placement, etc. All riders should do this on a new bike, anyway, and it will likely take a few rides to have the bike dialied-in just right.

Both bikes get very good reviews when it comes to performance, but the Specialized tubing just looks weird. The Trek is a better looking bike.

While the gift certificate idea sounds like the smarter, more logical idea, I can't imagine that opening an envelope can be as exciting as having a bike waiting for you. But you certainly can not compromise on fit, which requires at the very least sitting on the bike.

As an alternative, maybe a box with a full kit (shorts, jersey, helmet, gloves, socks, sunglasses, hydration pack, but NOT shoes) and Trek and Specialized bike catalogues might make the gift opening moment more memorable.

BTW - What is "suspension geometry"? I think you might be confusing some terms. The search function is a great tool.

·
Registered
821 Posts
antonio said:
.......The Trek is a better looking bike. ........
MAYBE TO ANTONIO!! I think the Safire's swoopy tubes look great! A big advantage of the Spesh design (over the Trek) is precisely that swoopy top tube, which yields an excellent standover height. A generous standover height is confidence-inspiring to many new riders (and prolly a few old ones, too). Anyway, what matters is what she likes. If you do go Specialized, the Medium Safire should be about right for her because it's a little too cramped for me (I'm ~5' 7 1/2") but I can neither confirm or deny this because I can't find a Specialized sizing chart anywhere. :confused:

antonio said:
....... As an alternative, maybe a box with a full kit (shorts, jersey, helmet, gloves, socks, sunglasses, hydration pack, but NOT shoes) and Trek and Specialized bike catalogues might make the gift opening moment more memorable...
Now this is a crackin' good idea!

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
If the bike just HAS to go under the tree, I would make a little card/certificate/something that states the bike is representative and that she can try some others to get the one she likes the best. I guess LBS has to be amenable to this too.....

·
Registered
186 Posts
If you go with the Specialized, I agree that a Medium should work for her. I have an '06 D4W Stumpy Expert, and, while I know these bikes are not the same, I assume that the D4W sizing should be pretty standard across bikes. I'm 5'4" and have extra room. At 5'5" a medium is probably good for her.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I work in a lbs and rode both They are both great bikes. I got the safire because it fit me better, and the fsr suspension is fabulous for climbing. the evo link is also flawless on the Trek Either way is fine. Fit is key. Santa cruz makes a great little wsd bike also with single pivot, simple but excellent is the Julianna..

·
Seeker of Dirt
100 Posts
Tested both..

I personally liked the Trek better. I'm 5'0" and ride the 14" Fuel EX8 WSD.

+1 for Antonio's suggestions! Fit is so very personal, then you'd know she had her perfect bike without any guess work! Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.