Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
just ride
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new into this mtn. bike thing and I like it alot. I started riding maybe 5 mos. ago. Anyways, I currently own a '99 Trek singletrack hardtail. I like it except for the fact that the streering bar is way in the front and it's putting alot of pressure on my lower back when I'm going uphill.

Here's the situation. I have a lower back problem (muscle sphasm) nothing too serius but
I still want to be cautious about it. I'm 5'6" and my Trek frame size is 17". I feel like the steering bar is too low and too far from the seat that everytime I pedal uphill I can feel the pressure on my lower back. Another thing is that when I go downhill the ride is very bumpy even if I'm already standing up on the pedals.

I go to Joseph Grant Park in Alum Rock, San Jose, Ca. This is an advance trail. Me and my friends do 3-5 hours run up and down the hill. The max speed I got on the down hill is around 31mph. I think that's good enough for me.

If you were in my situation and have $600 to buy a new bike which bike would you recommend. I know $600 is a huffy bike for most of you guys but I'm buying a Mazdaspeed3 this weekend and I want to use the money on that car instead. Which bike would you guys recommend? The bike ride at the park is pretty much 60% uphill and 40%downhill.

What's a good bike that's reliable, comfortable, cheap, dependable and lighter than 30lbs?
Which bike should I get a hard tail or full suspention?

Please let me know. I want to get one asap!

Thanks guys!

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts

·
Banned
462 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
If so, here's the best deal going:

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/TR-COMP-X7-Details.html

If not, then perhaps this bike at $600:

http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7943/.f?sc=12&category=-112

At $600, a full suspension rig is all but out of the question, IMO. If your back condition necessitates it, then save up a few hundred more and look again at Ibex and Iron Horse.

Bob
The Iron Horse is a nice pick up, but only comes in a size 13.5
If you have a local bike shop check them out and see what specials they have in your price range. Compare them to the Ibex Clyde mentioned and see which is a better deal.
If you have a Performance bike shop in your neighborhood I suggest checking out what they have also. Performance tends to have good prices.

Personally I think with that kind of budget you might want to look at a high end used bike from craigslist or ebay. My buddy got an almost new 2005 Stumpjumper Disc for $700 a few months ago.

·
Vigilante Trail Groomer
155 Posts
I'd go for a higher end used bike. You'll be MUCH more satisfied with your purchase. I bought a Trek Fuel SLR 21 months ago for $859 shipped from Ebay and I'm happy. You just have to buy from the right seller. Usually guys that constantly upgrade and sell their gear are the best to buy from.

·
Student
820 Posts
I agree with LiquidX9, a used bike is better for you. You will get a higher end bike for the same cash as a lower end bike thats new. Take a look what they have on ebay and stuff, you might be surprised.

·
ay Diablo!
612 Posts
Here is a bike http://bikeconnection.net/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&id=440
for $699 plus $60 shipping (i'm not to familiar with California, so you might be close enough to drive and pick it up. It's in Palo Alto) that has pretty good specs for that price.
Yes i am biased, I bought the rock springs model and like it a lot from them (they were great to work with). Thats what I know and thats what I can recommend :D . It will be plush and save your back a bit, it does have a short stubby stem with high riser bars, which will sit you up a little straighter too. They have a small frame, which would fit you good.
Personally, I would get a full suspension, yes you have to make compromises with componets in that price range, but it seems everyone gets the upgrade bug in a year or so, and then you will have a good frame to upgrade on IF you feel the need. But like I said the componets aren't to bad to start with.
If you don't care for an adjustable travel bike, this bike has better specs then the one above for the same price
http://bikeconnection.net/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&id=439

·
I'm SUCH a square....
1,987 Posts
are you just looking to upgrade from the 99 Trek, or is it the specific problems you addressed? for an upgrade, there are good used ones to be had, 2yrs old or less -- older than that, and alum. has "shelf life" issues. but to fix the current problems you describe, just get a riser handlebar & suspension seatpost.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.