Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at getting into mountain biking. I ran cross country all of middle school and high school. Ran in college but not for a school. Now Im a school teacher and wanting to get into a better sport than running. I have a budget of 600-700 ish. I have looked at the Trek X-caliber 6 and 7 along with the Cannondale Trail 6 and 5 29er. Wondering which one should I get. Any advice would be great.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Guess I'm trying to decide if it's worth buying the step up in each of the bikes and what components are the best.
It's always better to step up if you can afford it.
Buy the most high end bike you can afford. You will be happier with it and it will last you longer. Even just few hundred dollars makes a huge difference at the low end price points.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Looking at getting into mountain biking. I ran cross country all of middle school and high school. Ran in college but not for a school. Now Im a school teacher and wanting to get into a better sport than running. I have a budget of 600-700 ish. I have looked at the Trek X-caliber 6 and 7 along with the Cannondale Trail 6 and 5 29er. Wondering which one should I get. Any advice would be great.
So, the standard answers to your question are: a) consider buying a used bike to get more for your money, b) buy the bike that fits you best, c) buy from the LBS that you think will support you best, d) consider spending more money so that you won't have to upgrade very soon...

The problem with your question is that you really don't provide a heck of a lot of information about your situation and plans. I can assume that you are young and in good shape but have to check your profile where you actually live (Kentucky) but that's not enough. There is a bunch of stuff that you may not be able to tell us because your are just getting into the sport but it would help us if you were to provide at least a good guess. If you provide more context then you'll pique the interest of the more experienced members of mtbr to provide you with more specific feedback. No need for a full autobiography and skip what you want but please consider providing the following information:

age, gender, weight, height, physical condition, health issues, riding experience, hours/week you plan to ride, type of riding you plan on, purpose of riding (recreational, social, fitness, racing), local resources (friends/family/clubs) that you may ride with, LBS situation, budget flexibility, why you are asking for advice on these specific models of bikes...

I know it's a pain but the reward is likely to be customized advice beyond "which one do you think is the better bike?" when it's unlikely that many people would have personal experience with all of the bikes you mention.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is a quick run down of me. I'm 24 and male. 6 ft tall and 140 lbs. No health issue and new to biking. I'm in pretty good shaping. I work with my cousin during the summer when I'm not teaching painting barns and repairing them. Climb up and down in tobacco barns. Ran cross country during middle and high school. Ran in college but just on my own. Wanting to get into biking to exercise, to have fun and hopefully race a bit. Plan to ride a some during the week and then take a day either Friday Saturday or Sunday as a riding day. I have a pretty good LBS who is willing to make me a good deal on a cannondale. Around $175 off msrp of a bike plus 10% off accessories. My budget is around $800 for the bike. I'm looking at these two because the LBS sell them. Anything else that would help just ask. I'm looking at getting the bike ASAP. I know in a trek I'm a 18.5. In cannondale I liked the medium over the large. My biggest questions is mainly on the components of the bikes. I'm not 100% sure on if the components are worth the extra money for the different bikes. And which one is better when comparing the components?

·
Registered
15,139 Posts
Trek Fest is a sale opportunity in April for 15% off. 3% more for cash is a possibility. 20-25% off related purchases is something your lbs can do as a negotiating sweetener. Free tuneups, but you should learn how from them or us and online for trailside repairs.
Do a Trek Factory Demo on both days for the entire time with about 5 hours of riding each day. Ride every bike they have in 19.5 and for feel check the next up and down sizes. Collect info on components, not just bikes. Collect the new bike coupon they will offer you.
Up your budget.
You are about to re-evaluate your financial priorities. It happens as soon as you start riding difficult/fun trails.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The bikes you are looking at would be adequate for easy trail riding and if you treat them well would probably be fairly reliable. Looking at the specs and the all important pictures (!) I like the Trail 5 the best. The spec I saw lists it as a 3x9 not an 8 speed. If you venture beyond easy trail riding these bikes will show off their limitation. They have notoriously mediocre forks, cheap wheels, and are heavy. The fact that you are only 140 lbs mitigates but if you end up riding a lot you may get frustrated by the bikes' limitations. It really depends on how much and where you end up riding.

The Airborne Seeke that Hawg points out would be a *much* better bike. Also mail-order bikes from bikesdirect or jensonusa could yield better bikes. There are very good reasons to buy locally and to try out the bike first but bang-for-the-buck online purchases will get you a lighter bike with better components. If you can save up another $300-$400 you would also end up having many better choices at your lbs.

Within your budget a good used bike could get a really nice hard tail that could serve you well for years and many thousands of miles. If you have a friend who knows bikes you could try to buy something off craigslist. Generally my recommendation is to get in touch with the local mountain biking community (clubs, store groups, store employees, etc) and put your feelers out for people who have upgraded and might want to get rid of an old bike. Many store employees are biking enthusiasts and while the sales people want to sell you a new bike they generally also understand budget limitations and the reality of getting a better deal when buying used. Chat with the mechanics.

Ultimately, you could buy any of the 4 bikes you listed and have fun. If you do that then going for the better version from each manufacturer is worth it. Whip out that credit card and you are done and out riding. But if you think that you'll average a couple or more rides a week then you end up logging several thousand miles a year and also hundreds of hours on the bike. If that's the case then either spending more or going through the hassle of buying used (and being patient) seems warranted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I'm leaning more towards the trail series. I'm doing my best to budget my money so I can get rock shocs. I think fox will be to far out of my reach. I don't think I will be doing to hard of trails for a full suspension. But I would like to get rock shocs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well thanks for all the advice. Finally made the decision and went up a notch to the Cannondale Trail SL 1 29er. My Girlfriend got an awesome deal on a 2013 Trek Superfly AL 29er for $500. It was basically brand new and the guy wanted to get out of MTB quick.

·
Do it for Deegan
109 Posts
I have looked at the Trek X-caliber 6 and 7 along with the Cannondale Trail 6 and 5 29er. Wondering which one should I get. Any advice would be great.
I currently own a 2013 trail 5 29er. The bike is pretty good but unless you have upgrades in your budget I would go for something used or with higher end components. I already have about 1300 invested into the bike with an original price of 800

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Congratulations! That looks like a great bike. I don't think you'll regret spending more for that bike compared to your earlier choices.

Ask the people at the shop what type of lube they like for the local conditions and buy it. Get one of those big bags of shop rags from Home Depot or similar and get in the habit of wiping down your drivetrain before or after every ride. Lube your drivetrain (and wipe, wipe, wipe afterwards) every 50 miles or so. Have fun!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Congratulations! That looks like a great bike. I don't think you'll regret spending more for that bike compared to your earlier choices.

Ask the people at the shop what type of lube they like for the local conditions and buy it. Get one of those big bags of shop rags from Home Depot or similar and get in the habit of wiping down your drivetrain before or after every ride. Lube your drivetrain (and wipe, wipe, wipe afterwards) every 50 miles or so. Have fun!
Thanks for the advice. I was actually going to ask that on here about what are the first steps I needed to take.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.