Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm looking into getting into moutain biking. I have been looking around at local bike stores and I have narrowed my choice of bike down to four. The Treck Remedy 7, Trek Fuel EX 8, Giant Reign 1, and the Specialized SJ FSR COMP. I'm 5'11" 195lbs just to give u an idea of my size. I want a bike that can take a fairly hard hit and not bottom out. Also, I'll be using the bike to go up and down hill equally. I don't care about a few pounds difference in weight. I am doing this for the fun and a workout so I'm not going to complain about a bike that is a little heavier. Please stick to recommending only bikes that I have listed. I want to buy new and these are in my price range. Thank you.

·
Registered
217 Posts
You have narrowed it down to 4 pretty good bikes and 2 different types of mountain bikes. The 2 all mountain bikes, the Remedy and the Reign and 2 trail bikes, the Fuel EX and the Stumpjumper FSR Comp. Aside from the SJ Comp, you haven't listed which Remedy, Reign or Fuel EX you are looking at. You should also list the amount you are willing to spend. You should also decide on what type of riding you will be doing.

So if you find that you will be riding more trail then mountain, I'd take a serious look at the Giant Trance X 3 or 2 (depends on your budget) Better suspension and a 15mm front axle. Giant also spec's bikes really well at their prices and have a really good warranty. The SJ FSR Comp may have a bit better spec and a proven suspension design, but a 5" travel trail bike shouldn't come spec'ed with a 9mm qr at that price.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would like to do both types of riding, all mountain and trail. As far as the Remedy I am looking at the SEVEN. For the Fuel I am considering the EX 8. I am leaning towards Trek because their dealer is 20 minutes from my house. But i want to get others opinions.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have a Trek Fuel 8 and absolutely love it. I don't have any experience with any of the ones you have listed. Although I'm of similar specs to you and have no issue, and I have the 18.5 inch model.

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
if that the case you may want to go with remedy. From your line up I like Reign more but for about the same weight you can get Reign X so you get 6.75" of rear travel instead of 6 and still can pedal uphill. You can take good size drops with it.

Sure sound like you are going to have a lot of fun. Both Reign and remedy would be my pick.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
+1 on what mimi1885 said. Based on what you're saying about wanting to do drops, you'd be better off with the Remedy or Reign (I personally would go with the Reign).

When I went looking to upgrade my ride from a trail HT to a AM FS, I ended up going burlier than I thought I needed ('10 GT Sanction 1 with 6.5" of travel, 20mm thru-axle, DT Swiss FR600 rims). Yeah, it weighs 34.5 lbs. but I've bombed it through rocks I'd never have done with something less and it still climbs.

Better to have more ride than you might need on any given trail than to go home early after hitting some unexpected rough stuff. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Between the Remedy 7 and the Reign 1 it's going to be a tough choice. Both are excellent bikes! The Reign is almost $200 cheaper and has a full SLX drivetrain, better brakes, a really good saddle, better stock tires. On the other hand, The Remedy has a better wheelset and has Sram shifters and an X9 rear derailleur. For me, thats a win! It also looks really nice in that stealth black! Unfortunately, the Trek has really crappy brakes and I'm not sure how good that Sram crank set is. If you can get a good deal on the Remedy and upgrade the brakes to at least an Elixer 5 or Formula RX or Shimano XT, I say go with the Remedy, Otherwise, the Reign is the clear winner here. Also cheaper!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Danielrg_usa said:
How big of a drop can it take? I will be riding mostly trail but when the opportuity arises I'd like to be able to hit the hard stuff without hesitation.
Well I made the mistake of hitting a trail over my head this weekend that included over one foot drops and my bike is still in one piece. If drops are going to be a regular thing then you may want the Remedy. I live in Florida with mostly flat trails.

·
Registered
431 Posts
hmmmm tough choice, all really nice bikes. are they 2010 or 2011 models? i was just looking at a 2010 Trek Remedy 7 just for the hell of it and its a nice bike, like it a lot. I think i would pick the remedy as the Treks seem to fit me really well and just feel nice to me. I do agree tho that the stock brakes leave a little to be desired so take that into consideration.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.