Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

This is my first post here, but everything I have seen on the forums looks good so far, so I figured I'd give this a shot....

My story: About one and a half years ago, I bought a Raleigh M600 mountain bike for ~$500. I could not have been happier. Every day, riding to school was a joy, and they weekends were even better. But alas, as all good things come to an end, one day I returned from Track practice to find my beloved bike gone. I had used a kyrtonite lock on it and attached that to a chain link fence, but the thieves had just cut around the lock, taking a big square of fence. I was torn up, and then life got in the way of a new bike, but now fast foward to today:

With summer approaching and my trauma finaly fading, I am in the market for a new bike. I can go down to my local bike shop, but thier prices are a little high and thier selection a little small for my tastes. I have about $500-$600 to spend, and I could go higher, but only for a really nice bike. I am a big guy, about 210 lbs and 5'10", so I need a slightely bigger bike. As far as riding goes, I do alot of "around town" kind of stuff, to and from school, on errands, etc, but I really want a bike for the mountains. I tend to go up the hill before going down, so I need a nice balance between climbing ability and downhill ability. I could go for a F/S, but I kind of perfer HardTails.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give,

Matt Austin

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
At your price range I would go for a hardtail. Your not going to get much FS for your money.
Not sure what brands your lbs carries, but specialized, jamis, giant, and Kona (to name a few) all have hardtails that would be good options. If you like your Raliegh, get another one...its been my experience that while they are not the flashiest name they make good bikes and spec them well.

Give us some more info and I think you'll get more help. Are there any particular brands you are looking at?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know....I was just overwheled by the huge amount of bikes I could choose from, and wanted to get an idea of what people recommened for my price and planned use...I am unclear what more info I could give you...If there is anything that would help you give me a recommendation, just tell me.

THanks,

matt austin

·
Registered
325 Posts
Sounds like you're looking for a good trail bike? My advice would be to go to the bike shop and just try lots of bikes, pick a couple that you like and go from there. Even if the prices are too high or they don't have the perfect bike, you can get some direction for your search.

Specialized hard rock is the first thing that came to mind when I read your post, btw. Would be a potential starting point for you.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Since you're a big guy, you need a big guy's bike. The Kona Hoss springs to mind. A little heavier than your average HT, but built to take more of a beating.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.