Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I live in Southern Arizona, 17 years old only weigh about 130lb w/ gear and have been riding for a little more than a year, and am really staring to get into XC Racing. I have a have a Redline Monocog Flight 29er with Reba Race forks now but need something with gears and pretty much decided on a 2009 Stumpjumper Expert Carbon HT which is about $3300 but can get a 2008 Epic Expert Carbon for about the same price and am not sure what would be best, they changed soo much from '08 and '09 and just can't decide. Help?!?!
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
if you're seriously racing, get the epic. before i got my stumpjumper, i was inbetween the two bikes, and i had just begun xc racing. i knew i would prefer trail riding over xc racing, and i wasn't that serious about the racing (just for fun, and i got major hookups with gear), so i went the route of the stumpjumper. im glad i did. both fun bikes, id prefer the stumpy, but again if youre seriously looking into racing, get the epic. plus, it depends on the riding in southern ariz. i know a lot of guys that ride epics in flordia because its faster swoopy st and not very tech., so they benefited from a stiffer frame.

have you ridden both?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
its a personal thing, you need to try them both for size, my experience though was a year on a 23.5 pound upgraded epic, yes it was light and fast but one day i did a fast 90 km ride and the epic beat me up so bad i couldnt ride for nearly a week after, mind you the terrain is dry and rocky here, ploughing through 90 kms of loose stones was too much for the epic and me, its a bike for tough as nails race nuts and sacrifices comfort for stiffness, i swapped over my light parts to an 09 SJ, 1 kilo heavier but im much faster on the SJ because its not an exercise in suffering anymore, the bike takes the bumps and leaves me focusing on riding and not having to worry about being beaten up at the end of the day
if you want my opinion i think you would be mad to choose an 08 carbon epic over an 09 SJ carbon for the same price

·
Registered
115 Posts
Are you going to keep the Redline for trail riding? If you are, get the Epic. That way you'll have a dedicated bike and a fun trail bike. TThats not to say the Epic can't be used for trails. A lot of my friends trail ride on them as well.

It really depends on how much racing you are going to do, if you are going to get heavy inmto racing, you should have the Epic for that.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Ah. Its going to feel funny going from a 29'er to a 26'er. I get thrown off from time to time. If your looking for a good race bike, I'd second the Epic. I have had two. I love the Marathon. Before you shell out a bunch of cash, ride a 26 inch bike on the trails and see what you think. I'd almost step out and reccomend a 29'er stumpy, squish or hardtail.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I was wondering how you were getting a Stumpjumper Expert Carbon FSR for $3300. Definetly get the epic. I have an 07 epic and a 08 stumpy FSR and ride my epic more. Just because I like the geometry and efficiency better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.