Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to ride Downieville (for the first time) this Sunday.
Which bike would you recommend?

DHR/888
RFX/66/SRS single ring
RFX/z150/triple crank

I'd like to bring my DHR, would it be over-kill for the trails there?
Thanks for any suggestions

·
pedal pusher
2,234 Posts
mike67 said:

DHR/888
RFX/66/SRS single ring
RFX/z150/triple crank

I was there last weekend and I rode my Yeti 575 and was totally comfortable/
There were people riding VP Free's and other bikes, but 5 inch bikes seem to be the majority, Id say anything beyond the 6 in travel is overkill.

Sean

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
smw said:
I was there last weekend and I rode my Yeti 575 and was totally comfortable/
There were people riding VP Free's and other bikes, but 5 inch bikes seem to be the majority, Id say anything beyond the 6 in travel is overkill.

Sean
Thanks Sean.
I expect there will be some climbing.
Can I get by with a single chain ring, or will I need a granny gear?

Thanks again,
mike

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
if your DHR can pedal well then bring it......it is overkill but it is nice if you really open it up

the trail is a rocky XC trail with no drops.....you can get speeds in the 30's very easy.

that being said .....you can bring your lighter bike and tear it up also.......

for me I would bring my favorite bike and for me that would be the big bike.....the pedal out isn't so bad

·
Another festivus MIRACLE!
1,207 Posts
Yeah, DH bike way overkill. There are lots of flat areas towards the bottom where you'll have to do some pedalling, and the downhill parts are overall fairly smooth. 5 and 6" All mountain bikes are perfect for Dville. Single ring would do ok, but there is one part that you have to climb, but it is fairly short.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
if your DHR can pedal well then bring it......it is overkill but it is nice if you really open it up

the trail is a rocky XC trail with no drops.....you can get speeds in the 30's very easy.

that being said .....you can bring your lighter bike and tear it up also.......

for me I would bring my favorite bike and for me that would be the big bike.....the pedal out isn't so bad
Thanks SMT,
That's what I was hoping to hear. I want to bring my DHR. Built it up several months ago, and it still hasn't seen dirt yet :mad:

The guys that invited me along, haven't arranged for a shuddle. Is that something we can take care of when we get there, or should I get on it? Yuba Expeditions or Downieville Outfitters? We're bringing two trucks, any reason we couldn't shuddle ourselves?

Thanks,
mike

·
just another bleepin SSer
1,461 Posts
mike67 said:
The guys that invited me along, haven't arranged for a shuddle. Is that something we can take care of when we get there, or should I get on it? Yuba Expeditions or Downieville Outfitters? We're bringing two trucks, any reason we couldn't shuddle ourselves?
You can arrange when you get there. But the holiday weekend will be a bit crowded, so the best times may be taken.

Some other options you can consider if you get blocked out:
- sign up for the last shuttle of the day, then drive to the shuttle drop off point. After the ride, the driver(s) take the shuttle up to retrieve the car.
- if multiple cars, you can do your own shuttle. But that takes a lot of time.
- feeling strong? Takes about 3 hours to ride to the shuttle drop off point from Downieville (don't bring the single ring bike if you do this).

·
pedal pusher
2,234 Posts
mike67 said:
Thanks SMT,
That's what I was hoping to hear. I want to bring my DHR. Built it up several months ago, and it still hasn't seen dirt yet :mad:

Thanks,
mike
Call and book your shuttle now, its way more convienant. Book 2 the first day, it doesnt take long to get down the hill. Next weekend I have an 8am and a 2pm so I can eat and have a couple beers before the second run.

By the way, I did all my climbing in the middle ring.

Sean

·
Banned
6,153 Posts
mike67 said:

DHR/888
RFX/66/SRS single ring
RFX/z150/triple crank

Dville can be ridden on a fully rigid single speed - even a freekin unicycle - but that doesn't mean it's the fastest way down the hill.

It's really up to you - if it's possible to bring a DH rig and the 6" rig, do that.

I rode Dville on my 6" rig last time and will be bringing my DH rig next time.

The DH rig will obviously kick ass in the real rough stuff and on 3rd divide -where you're going 35 mph or so on a single track - but in the pedaling sections it will hurt.

The 6" rig will do better in the pedaling sections - but if you really want to haul ass is the rough stuff and on 3rd divide - you'll be left wanting for more.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hardtail OK

I have ridden Dville on a hardtail (in fact, all the people in our group had hardtails) and it was totally fine. Done it on an "all mountain" (5" travel full-suspension Kona) and that was just fine too. As long as your bike is comfortable and has good brakes, you'll have a great time.

·
Another festivus MIRACLE!
1,207 Posts
I remember....

My first time going to Dville. I had my SC Bullit, full faced helmet and body armor. I was ready to rock and take no prisoners. After the first part of the ride we went through some bumpy sections, but nothing special. Then we got into some smooth down hill singletrack. Fast and fun but not technical. But I was sweating profusely. Then we had to climb. I was hating it. Then it got flat and I'm really sweating it. Then we had a climb some more. By the time I was done I was wondering what the hell I was doing with all this equipment.

Just my .02 cents.

·
Banned
6,153 Posts
bullit71 said:
My first time going to Dville. I had my SC Bullit, full faced helmet and body armor. I was ready to rock and take no prisoners. After the first part of the ride we went through some bumpy sections, but nothing special. Then we got into some smooth down hill singletrack. Fast and fun but not technical. But I was sweating profusely. Then we had to climb. I was hating it. Then it got flat and I'm really sweating it. Then we had a climb some more. By the time I was done I was wondering what the hell I was doing with all this equipment.

Just my .02 cents.
My first Dville trip, I rode a hardtail. Since then I've ridden it on 4", 6" and 8" bikes - and had good times on all. It just depends on what you're looking to do.

I don't treat Dville as a leasurely, 2 hour ride. I try to keep it under an hour - sometimes under 50 minutes. I generally don't stop to take pictures or go swimming. My goal is to beat everyone by going blindingly fast. Two wheel drifting, bike -bouncing, wheels skipping, body flailing, eyes watering, muscles quivering - fast.

If you goals are different, your weapon of choice may also be different!:thumbsup:

·
Flyin Canine
2,274 Posts
I have been to downieville on a few diff bikes and by far and away my fav was my RFX/Z150/e13DRS setup. It straight rocked on all parts of the trail. If you run the single ring you'll be fine for most of the trail, and just need to walk a few of the steeper short climbs. Tires are more important than anything if you really want to go fast. Get some with some pinch flat protection since on your second run down the mountain you'll probably get sloppy and bash some sharp rocks that you flowed over the first run.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
shanedawg said:
on your second run down the mountain you'll probably get sloppy and bash some sharp rocks that you flowed over the first run.
Sounds like a personal phenomenon.:D

I tend to be the opposite. One scout run and then one or two (if there's time) runs to pin it with Kuhnowledge.

I'd like to ride a highline down that trail.:)

·
Jed Peters
1,412 Posts
imridingmybike said:
I don't treat Dville as a leasurely, 2 hour ride. I try to keep it under an hour - sometimes under 50 minutes. I generally don't stop to take pictures or go swimming. My goal is to beat everyone by going blindingly fast. Two wheel drifting, bike -bouncing, wheels skipping, body flailing, eyes watering, muscles quivering - fast.
wait, weren't you giving me $hit earlier?

oh yeah, and sub 50? I call BS.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.