Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Less than a week ago I expanded my stable with an '08 Stumpjumper HT 29...so far SO good...lovin the big wheels. :thumbsup: Still have the 26 FSR full suspension, no intentions to get rid of it.

So all you out there that have both wheel sizes:

* Do you still ride both?
* If you do, which bike do you select for a given ride/terrain, and why?

Cheers,
MonkeyDawg
Jackson CA
www.FoothillTrailHounds.com

·
gbnemba.org
263 Posts
I have a Dawg Deluxe FS and a Jamis Exile 29er HT (1x9)

I ride the Dawg when:

Conditions are wet (easier to sit and spin over wet roots - also comfort zone)
Conditions are icy (don't have studs for the 29er)
Lots of climbing
Extremely technical

I ride the Exile for:

trails have lots of flow (so I can carve the turns)
mix of road and dirt (I can lock out my Reba)
racing (more efficient and lighter)
vacations (one do-it-all bike)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Niner MCR Rigid 1 x 9 - Winter and mud conditions. Less moving parts to damage in foul weather.

Pivot Mach 5- Summer and technical terrain. The bike hops like a jack rabbit and like a slot car.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
* 29er SS for my normal trails
* 29er geared for my normal trails
* 29er 4" FS for my normal trails
* 26er 7.75" for my normal trails

Since they have been on the same trails, that proves there is no difference between the aforementioned types of bikes

·
Administrator
11,800 Posts
whittled down my stable to 1 26er converted SS and one 29er SS. Haven't ridden the 26er since I broke a wheel on my 29er. After fixing the 29er haven't been back on the 26er in a couple of years. Sad but true. After a coupla decades of mountain biking it is nice to have only one bike and to ride everything on that one bike from epic death marches to technical descents to 24 races to killing it on the local go-fast loop.

Let your desires guide you, ultimately you will side one way or the other, but remember: variety is the true spice of life.

·
Registered
662 Posts
29" all the time...

spooge said:
Never ride my f/s since in went 29 hardtail
Ditto ... and now I sold off the parts from the Blur... just the frame left to unload. I simply cannot ride 26" wheels.

S

·
The Other Dude
3,080 Posts
I had a Stumpjumper Comp 29er HT, and an 08 26" Stumpjumper Pro Carbon FSR.......check my signature now, The 26" stumpy got sold and replaced with a 29" fsr stumpy, i love it, also i replaced the stumpy comp ht with a superfly, but i couldnt pass the deal up on the superfly.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Motolite 26," SIR 9 SS 29"

ML when I want to ride drops/rocks/jumps (ie: Pisgah, Racoon Mountain)
SIR SS for smoother more XC style riding, although I have ridden it some at Racoon Mountain and it hit up everything fine.

·
Registered
67 Posts
After 22+ years on the trail, I have refined the stable down to the bikes that best fit my style, terrain and riding passions. They cover all the trails/roads I enjoy. I finally sold the F/S because if I could not ride an obstacle or find a line on the soft tail, I was probably hike-a-bikeing it anyway.

Castellano Silk Ti 29er
Niner MCR-drop bar monstercross
Landshark road bike

Tim

·