Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
I've got two Norco's, A carbon gravel bike and an aluminum full squish Sight. They have both been trouble free after quite a bit of use from a Clydesdale. The Search XR in particular hasn't had an easy life and has held up really well. I had reservations about a carbon bike for a guy my size on our roads but it is one hell of a good bike. Love to ride it.

·
Registered
10,138 Posts
Ones I would buy for sure are ones I am familiar with. I have owned a few I probably would not buy again. Not sure I'd buy a Lenz or Intense again, but I would buy Ibis, Yeti, Evil, Revel, Pivot, Specialized, and Trek maybe. There are other brands I'd probably buy but just don't know enough about them yet. I'm not into Hardtails or my list would be way longer.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Not sure, its been a while since I've looked. Something light and fast with 100mm of travel. I have always had good luck with Trek, so the Top Fuel and they have another one I think its called the Caliber that has a really neat rear suspension.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I would not hesitate to purchase another Santa Cruz as I've owned several and not had an issue yet. Transition maybe if their paint quality has improved, like the bikes but the paint sucks. Also seven cycles if I was going to keep it for several years for sure. Possibly a pivot but I would need to spend more time on one to be certain.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Wanna ride bikes?
12,534 Posts
I prefer small brands, USA made brands, and a handful of others. Custom builders, and of course a heavy focus on steel frames.

I currently own Kona, Surly, Transition, All-City, Custom.

Brands I would buy,

Kona, Chromag, Knolly, Divinci, Reeb, GG, Cotic, Stanton, Surly, All-City, Intense, Transition, Pivot, Ibis, Canfield, Lenz Sport, Ferrum, Myth, 44, Waltworks, Giant, Norco, Rocky Mountain, I'm sure there's more.

·
Registered
461 Posts
For me, the brand itself is not that important. What really matters is whether the bike itself is good and whether there's a solid reputation for customer support if I need help in the future.

I've cracked a frame in the past and the customer support I received from the company was awesome so if I was in the market again for a similar frame, I would have no qualms buying another frame or complete from them.

·
Registered
156 Posts
How important is a LBS to everyone? Do most guys do all of their own wrenching? I'm somewhat new to this and have wondered about Canyon bikes, as an example? Alot of the bikes you guys have listed I've never heard of.
To me, the LBS is important. I can fix some things, change brake pads, I did my chain and cassette, but i need help when things go wrong (had a crash or 2 and needed things checked over, trued up and realigned) and I also don't have enough wrenching experience to get everything perfect. I've taken my bike in for issues, and every year or 2 for a light tune up.

·
Registered
66 Posts
How important is a LBS to everyone? Do most guys do all of their own wrenching? I'm somewhat new to this and have wondered about Canyon bikes, as an example? Alot of the bikes you guys have listed I've never heard of.
I do all of the service myself on my bikes. Even then a LBS is very important because if you have a warranty issue with your bike its going to be taken care of really quickly.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I do most of my own wrenching. I refuse to bleed brakes and can't build wheels. For that I use Latini's Bike Repair, a local repair only shop. They do work only by appointment. Which is great, I don't take it in till they are ready for it and it's usually a 1-2 day turn around.

My LBS will take your bike and it seems like they throw a dart at a board to find out how long it will take to get your bike back. And it never seems to land on anything less than 2 weeks.

·
always licking the glass
4,428 Posts
Small manufacturers.

Canfield, Reeb, Revel, Knolly, Banshee, GG, to start with. I’m sure there are others. Ibis too, but they’re not as small as they used to be.

If they’re strictly 29er, I won’t do them. Being short I like smaller wheels.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.