Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am looking at getting back into mountain biking as a way to stay fit, do things with the family, and simply to have fun. I have been out of it for about 7 years and the last bike I bought was a Rocky Mountain 29er hardtail in 2011 (back when 29ers were really starting to take off) and things have changed.....a lot.

A little about me, I am 6' 4" and 245, live in the Sacramento area, and plan on doing a little of everything. I was looking for a full suspension with about 140 MM of travel but a buddy of mine is pushing me towards the 160 MM mark given the local terrain. One of my big concerns is the bike holding up to the extra bashing it will take because of my size and was thinking an Enduro bike would be a good selection given they tend to be built to handle more in the way of big hits/drops.

I was hoping for some guidance/help in selecting a bike and have been looking at the following:
  • Guerrilla Gravity Gnarvana (I like the ability to change the rear end and end up with multiple bikes - though I am unsure how often I will do that).
  • Polygon Siskiu T8
  • Polygon Siskiu N9
  • Ripmo AF
  • Canyon Strive CF 7
  • Canyon Torque 5 or 6
  • Cannondale Habit 4 (from REI)
Any that I am missing? Any to stay away from? Any components or suspensions setups I should steer clear of or too? There are tons of selections and every time I think I know which one I am going to get I find something else I want to consider.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Derek

· Registered
84 Posts
Hello all,

I am looking at getting back into mountain biking as a way to stay fit, do things with the family, and simply to have fun. I have been out of it for about 7 years and the last bike I bought was a Rocky Mountain 29er hardtail in 2011 (back when 29ers were really starting to take off) and things have changed.....a lot.

A little about me, I am 6' 4" and 245, live in the Sacramento area, and plan on doing a little of everything. I was looking for a full suspension with about 140 MM of travel but a buddy of mine is pushing me towards the 160 MM mark given the local terrain. One of my big concerns is the bike holding up to the extra bashing it will take because of my size and was thinking an Enduro bike would be a good selection given they tend to be built to handle more in the way of big hits/drops.

I was hoping for some guidance/help in selecting a bike and have been looking at the following:
  • Guerrilla Gravity Gnarvana (I like the ability to change the rear end and end up with multiple bikes - though I am unsure how often I will do that).
  • Polygon Siskiu T8
  • Polygon Siskiu N9
  • Ripmo AF
  • Canyon Strive CF 7
  • Canyon Torque 5 or 6
  • Cannondale Habit 4 (from REI)
Any that I am missing? Any to stay away from? Any components or suspensions setups I should steer clear of or too? There are tons of selections and every time I think I know which one I am going to get I find something else I want to consider.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Derek
Get a stumpy ! Get the s6 size. Bike can do anything you throw at it. Has 140 in front. You can always change the stroke size for 50 bucks to 160 in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello again,

Circling back around as I have continued to research and refine. One thing I, and thousands of others, am running into is availability, which narrows my potential selection if I don't want to wait a year. I have refreshed the list and am currently taking a hard look at the following:

-Sumpjumper Evo Comp Alloy
-Santacruz Hightower AL D
-Ibis Ripmo AF

The Santacruz and Ibis seem to be highly regarded within this group. Was curious if anyone had any insight into that particular model of stumpy.......

Thanks again for your continued help.

Best,

D

· Registered
Santa Cruz Hightower C XXL
934 Posts
Hello again,

Circling back around as I have continued to research and refine. One thing I, and thousands of others, am running into is availability, which narrows my potential selection if I don't want to wait a year. I have refreshed the list and am currently taking a hard look at the following:

-Sumpjumper Evo Comp Alloy
-Santacruz Hightower AL D
-Ibis Ripmo AF

The Santacruz and Ibis seem to be highly regarded within this group. Was curious if anyone had any insight into that particular model of stumpy.......

Thanks again for your continued help.

Best,

D
The Stumpjumper Evo Comp in an S6 (XXL) is the longest wheelbase (WB) and longest chainstay (CS) which I like. But... I think the S6 only comes in a Carbon version??
The Hightower is a great bike, but the WB and CS are shorter. I have the XXL Carbon C with S-build. The Hightower XXL's are in the Carbon builds only. Put some riser bars on it and you'll be good. In your area Santa Cruz Hightower C XT XXL - bicycles - by owner - bike sale Maybe you can talk them down?
The Ibis Ripmo AF only comes in an XL. The WB is shorter and the CS is pretty much the same as the Hightower. No XXL
The Trek Fuel EX 8 is an AL frame and is their only XXL frame. It's much shorter than the others listed.
The Transition Sentinel is almost as long as the Stumpjumper and comes in an XXL in both Alum and CF.
The YT XXL's are more like XL size frames.

At 6'-4 you need an XXL. Don't get an XL. At 6'7 I'm at the very end of the XXL range, so they are really too small for me. I need an XXXL. No kidding.

I changed my HT to a 160mm (FOX 36 performance) fork. I just swapped the air spring chamber. The 36 forks will be fine for your weight. The 38's are just heavier.
All good bikes.

· Registered
Santa Cruz Hightower C XXL
934 Posts
Surprised the Canfield Lithium (163mm) or Tilt (138mm) haven't been mentioned yet.
Either is currently available in XL...
=sParty
The Canfields look like nice bikes, but they don't make an XXL frame. They sound like a custom company so they might build a custom XXL frame? Their XLs are relatively short for even by XL standards. Their CS are very short.

· Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
18,165 Posts
The Canfields look like nice bikes, but they don't make an XXL frame. They sound like a custom company so they might build a custom XXL frame? Their XLs are relatively short for even by XL standards. Their CS are very short.
Sorry, didn’t realize you were looking for a 2X frame. Yes, CS are short on the Canfields. A benefit in some eyes, a bane to others.

I doubt you’d get Canfield to produce a custom frame but I guess there’s nothing to be lost in inquiring.

In any case, best of luck in your new bike search.
=sParty

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.