Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I enjoy "off road" biking, and am looking at getting a fat bike. I cant afford a a lesser expensive high-end bike, so I am looking at higher-end inexpensive bike - if that makes any sense. Right now I am looking at these BD bikes: Boris X9, FB4 Pro, and the SE [email protected] To be honest, I ride quite a bit (1,189 miles last year), but don't know a lot about the specifics of all the components. I will be using it for a little bit of everything. I grew up riding BMX, and like the feel of a smaller frame. I currently ride a small frame MTB which I like (I am 6'). For general fat-biking, which one of these bikes would be the "best" for me? I appreciate any input.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The SE [email protected] and the FB4 Pro are the same bike.

As to other differences, here's a quick summary of key differences:

FB4/SE :
Shimano
Frame is rear offset, uses standard 135mm rear hubs laced to rims offset
80mm double wall rear, 100mm double wall front wheel
Hydraulic Disc Brakes
Aluminum frame and fork

Boris:
SRAM
Frame is symmetrical. 170mm rear hub
80mm single wall rims
Mechanical Disc Brakes
Aluminum Frame / Steel Fork

both bikes have 135mm front hubs with front disc spacing, fast becoming the new standard.
both have Vee Rubber Mission tires that you will probably want to upgrade on either bike, but more so on the FB4/SE, as the 100mm front rim exaggerates the tire's notorious "self steer" characteristics.

Get the bike that meets your preferences the most, and is as available as you need it to be.

I wanted shimano for compatibility with my other bikes and I wanted Hydraulic brakes. I got the FB4 Elite and put an XT rd on. Though I prefer the single wall rims on the Boris and have built a 2nd wheelset that uses the same rims. In hindsight, I perhaps should have waited for the Boris to become available, and switched it to shimano. I also believe the offset frame design will be phased out sooner, but as long as offset drilled rims are available, I'll be okay.
One other main reason I went with the FB4 was I got it 6 weeks faster than I could have got the Boris, and that 6 weeks of winter commuting was worth it. No regrets.
So availability was quite important.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for taking the time for this detailed response. I know that availability can be an issue. I am buying a house right now, so I will be occupied with that and don't mind waiting for a little while. I am glad to hear that the FB4 and the [email protected] are the same bike - that narrows it down a little bit. For some reason I am leaning toward the Boris. Are the SRAM components decent? Is there any advantage or disadvantage of of a steel fork compared to aluminum?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I edited my post,
It's the [email protected] that is equivalent to FB4 Pro
The [email protected] is equivalent to FB4 Comp.

The X9 components are great.
At this level there are few complaints for either SRAM or Shimano.

Steel forks will have a little more flex, are less rigid.
I have steel forks on my touring and cargo bikes. For my fat bike, I don't require them as the high volume tires help negate the rigidity. It comes down to preference.

Also, the Boris forks have many mounting braze ons for water bottles and racks.

·
1,711 Posts
I think for the price to components, the Boris X7 would be your best bet. They work much the same as X9 only a little heavier, and much more durable than X5. Don't mess with X5 components. Also you get the better V8 tires over those other generic ones on the X5 model. I just don't think money-wise the couple little upgrades are worth the extra $200 to go with the Boris X9... If you have that extra cash, you could put it towards a $300 Carver carbon fork and lose a pound off the front. :thumbsup:

Save up to 60% off new Fat Bikes and Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Boris X7 SRAM

·
Registered
735 Posts
It is my understanding the next Boris frames will not have the sliders or extra fork mounts.
As per BD all Boris wheel sets will be the same. if that's true then it really comes down to components vs. upgrading them.
The X9 has the type 2 derailleur and BB7 calipers, the addition of a narrow/wide chainring makes it a pretty solid out of the box ride.
The X7 has the BB5 calipers and a non clutch rear derailleur, not a deal breaker if you plan to keep the front derailleur.
The X5 has the tektro hyd. brakes which are actually pretty nice, but the tires and derailleurs are more than a $100 deal breaker to me vs. the X7.
For the money, the X7 looks hard to beat.
Ride it as is or upgrade to a type 2 rear d and N/W chainring and your still $ ahead of the X9 Boris.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Is there any reason aren't looking at either the Nashbar Big Ol' Fat Bike or the Framed Minnesota 2.0? The Nashbar regularly goes on sale for under 1000 and the Minnesota has gotten good reviews here as well.

Just throwing a few more options your way

·
Registered
76 Posts
You said you don't mind waiting. According to BD's Facebook posts they will be coming out with several more models between now and fall. Could be worth the wait to see what they will offer? One of the Boris models will have a carbon fork.

·
Registered
445 Posts
You said you don't mind waiting. According to BD's Facebook posts they will be coming out with several more models between now and fall. Could be worth the wait to see what they will offer? One of the Boris models will have a carbon fork.
BD's Facebook talked about Ivan. It will have a 190 rear spacing. So if making sure you have room for the biggest tires, waiting might pay off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I go for the X7, what exact parts should I be looking at to be as good as or better than the X9 for a similar price? Just the derailer and chain ring, fork?

I have never heard of the Nashbar. How does it and the Framed 2.0 compare to the X7-X9?

I would like to get a fatbike soon, but the new house stuff is gong to keep me busy this summer. So, if there are going to be some new bikes coming out I may just wait for a while.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Just noticed that the Framed 2.0 comes with an extra set of wheels and tires too....

I am really open to whatever is good in this price range.
If this is going to be your only bike the extra wheelset may have value but personally if not it's just a gimmick and not worthwhile. If your under 6 ft there are a lot of options and all good options for the price range.

The deciding factor should be personal preference. Preferred drivetrain brand (shimano v. sram), brakes (hyrdo v. cable), drivetrain (9 speed, 10 speed, 1x, 2x, 3x, single speed), material (alumi v steel), availability, sizing, color,etc and see what works for you.

Nashbar, BD and Framed all have great offerings and imho other than personal preference they are all good values and options it really just depends what your looking for.

·
Registered
735 Posts
If I go for the X7, what exact parts should I be looking at to be as good as or better than the X9 for a similar price? Just the derailer and chain ring, fork?

I have never heard of the Nashbar. How does it and the Framed 2.0 compare to the X7-X9?

I would like to get a fatbike soon, but the new house stuff is gong to keep me busy this summer. So, if there are going to be some new bikes coming out I may just wait for a while.
The difference between the X7 and X9 is a non clutch X7 derailleur and BB5 calipers vs. a LONG cage clutch rear D and BB7 calipers. You can get a short cage type 2 X9 for $90, both models come with the double crank and X7 front derailleur.
I dropped the front D and shifter and added a raceface narrow/wide 32T CR for another $35.
The boris is a solid performer and a HUGE value at this pricepoint.

·
Registered
607 Posts
X9 is what I ended up with and glad I waited. Wanted the BB7 and liked the 2x10 drivetrain. So fan NO issues with any of the components that came with it. I started ordering the comp, upgraded up one grade then fell for the Boris. While I don't ride NEAR as much as you I think its a solid performer.

Sent from magic wish granting phone

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.